Can We Beat Arsenal?

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Oct 22, 2004.

1. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I know Chelsea has a game this Sat agaist Rovers, but i wanted to put this question out there. I am confident enough that we will take care of Blackburn and that's why I am asking the question regarding Arsenal. I mean, do we have enough to take care of the gunners this year, or will we be the "nobody cares-we-are-in-second-place team? I believe we can do it. I f we have healthy Drogba and Robben, Chelsea can and will win EPL titke this year.
    Let me know what you think.

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Can we beat Arsenal - YES.
    Of course we can.

Then again, Rovers can beat us too.

It's a funny 'ol game.

3. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    If asked wether Arsenal could be beaten by Rovers, would you say yes also, and if not, why not for Arsenal and yes to Chelsea. (i mean why could you not imagine rovers beating gunners, but saying they can beat Chelsea). I know anything is possible, but really.

4. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    There are always a few results over the course of a season that are real stunners.
    Last season we thumped Wolves 5-0 at their gaff, yet, they beat Man United 1-0 there.
    Yes, Rovers could beat Arsenal - highly unlikey, but possible none the less.
    The best team never, ever, wins all the time.
    I really don't see where you're going with this.

Are we better than Arsenal?
    That remains to be seen.

Are we better than Rovers - no question about it.
    Are Arsenal? Same answer.

5. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    i was just implying that most people would say that Chelsea is more likely to lose to Rovers than Arsenal. That's all. However, if we think Chelsea is just as good as Arsenal, then rovers should have no chance against either. btw, why are people still saying that Arsenal and then Man U are the 2 teams 2 beat this year. We were better than Man U last year in EPL and CL.

6. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Absoloutly right, sometimes we draw :p

I couln't tell you which team will bring our run to an end but I have a hunch it will more likely come from the bottom half of the table than the top. Just so long as it isnt Surs. God we'll never hear the end of it

7. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, much as I hate to say, I think Mourinho's arrogance will come in handy against a team like Arsenal. All he'll talk about will be beating them, though obviously it'll be harder if they're still unbeaten then.

People didn't give us much of a shot to beat Arsenal in the FA Cup semi last year, but we did. They didn't give you guys much of a shot in the CL semi. It's all about what the team thinks they can do, and I think that Mourinho, much like SAF, has a way of convincing his team that regardless of the circumstances, they can win any game at any time against any opponent. No team can win the Premiership without that attitude.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And sometimes not even that. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok sorry, don't wanna hang onto past glories. Just thought we could all use a trip down memory lane. And a sound reminder that Arsenal aren't unbeatable--we've both done it recently enough.

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, actually, most people aren't saying that.
    A lot of the rags in Chelsea have long memories, not to mention that quite a few of the pundits played football against Chelsea in our 'dark years'.
    The media bias will take a long time to go away, cuddly ken did a magnificant job of alienating them to the utmost, they rarely write anything good aboutthe club, especially the Mirror and Sun.
    During the hooligan years quite a few of the media were targeted for abuse and more often than not had just as many police to protect them after the games as the away fans did.

10. srd....

srd.... Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Cork City.
    what clan said was absoultely spot on about rovers.thats the greatest thing about football and the premiership in general.on any given day any team is capable of beating any other team.it happen's every week.we all know that on paper a srong side should in theory brush aside a weaker outfit with ease,but it doesnt happen all the time,and these upsets are what makes it so enjoyable.

the f.a. cup is the best example,were chelsea could be knocked out in the fourth round by some non league team,by a bit of bad luck,poor finishing or a moment of sheer brilliance even poor refereeing,it doesnt matter it happens every year to some premiership teams,and some part timer who's real job is a milk man or something becomes a local hero for a week or so.thats whats so exciteing the unknown factor.no game is won or lost until the final whistle and after all it only takes a second to score a goal.

yeah it's a funny 'ol game alright,thats for sure.......

11. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    I think Chelsea is a much improved team from last season. Mourinho is a great coach (I like him better than SAF) but, IMO, Arsenal's best team would crush your best team. Maybe next year guys!

12. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    A glorious picture, that second one :rolleyes:

13. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Of course you can beat Arsenal, so can Man Utd. The question is whether you can beat us twice, because that's what it's going to take for Man Utd or Chelsea to win the Premiership this season. You do that and this thing's wide open because I detect a certain fragility on our part. Injuries also play a part, and oftentimes the healthiest teams do the best. While Rio's absence wasn't due to injury, there's no denying his loss hurt. Where would Chelsea have been last year without Terry? With the development of Reyes, we can handle a loss to Henry better than in the past, but I would shudder to imagine losing Bergkamp at all. (It's painful enough watching up in Europe without DB.)

All any of us are saying is that we're still only 9 games into the season, 1/4 of the way. We still have two games left between us, and since this is Saturday night, Arsenal still have two games left with United. You were fortunate to catch Man Utd first game of the season, but this stuff evens out over 38 games. The Premiership will be a lot clearer after 12 December.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

Why? 4 points would be just fine with us.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    On what basis would your best team "CRUSH" us?? Explain it, don't just say it. We have a better back line, a better GK. You have a better MF and F. We have a better RB (best in the EPL I say...), our LB is right there with Ashley Cole. I agree Campbell is slightly better than both Terry and Carvalho, but not by much. When you take into account Toure v Terry or Carvalho, our dynamic duo wins in that battle.

I am not going to go into a whole breakdown of the rest since I am just trying to disprove your point that Arsenal's first XI would "CRUSH" Chelsea's. You may beat us but you won't "CRUSH" us.

Defense wins championships...unless you're Arsenal... :p

How can you reason that you would "CRUSH" us when you can't even CRUSH teams like Panathinaikos, Rosenborg and have to beat PSV on an OG.

16. bjb7223

bjb7223 New Member

May 29, 2004
    Florida
  17. hfmea

hfmea New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Malaysia
    of course we can..and we did it last season too.. :rolleyes:

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure you guys are hoping Mourinho picked up a few pointers from yesterday's match. I'll admit there was controversy in the way we won, depending on what you saw the game could easily have been a draw, I'm not here to deny that. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about playing a physical game, taking it to Arsenal, and not letting them gain any sort of momentum. If you don't let them play their game, then there is a good chance they could get frustrated and start playing out of desperation. We've done that the last two times we've beaten them, and say what you want, but the results have been there.

Oh I almost forgot... you're welcome!![/nick burns]

19. ZANI

ZANI Member

Feb 14, 2004
    USA
    The defense is outstanding. I said it before, once you stop Henry. 75% of the job is done. All we need is for strikers to do what they did to Blackburn.
    I think Pool will beat them next month.

20. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    See I think Arsenal is going to come back strong again. Three of their next four are cake games leading up to the Liverpool game. In order they have: Southampton, Crystal Palace, Tottenham, and West Brom. Obviously they should be Soton, CP and West Brom. Probably tie or beat Spurs too. Then Liverpool. I think the only way Liverpool will win that game is if Gerrard is back. After that they have Brum before the big one against us on the 12th of Dec.

I can totally see Arsenal going on another 20+ game run. I don't think this one game is going to throw them for a loop.

I agree with what someone else said that stop Henry and you stop Arsenal but that's easier said then done. I think most people would agree he is the most dominant force in the EPL. He usually takes over a game and very few teams can stop him.

21. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No team in the EPL is built better than Chelsea to beat Arsenal. Both at the back and in midfield, no other team is more talented to stifle Arsenal's free flowing passing. And if Man U can hold Arsenal scoreless, Chelsea definitely can.

However, I'm not sure Chelsea will be able to light up the scoreboard against Arsenal, or score at all. Any team in the EPL could put four goals past Rovers (actually any team in the EPL could put 4 shots on Lehmann, which usually means 4 goals ;) )

To end this rambling post, I will simply add that the answer is of course.

22. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You know you are a rare find right? A level headed, intelligent Gunner. Thank you thinking logically. Not saying Chelsea will win, but we definetly have the ability to beat you.

Hattricks against Blackburn is becoming common place now. That's two straight weeks after JFH had one last week...

23. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Can Chelsea beat Arsenal? yes
    Can Arsenal beat Chelsea? yes

Chelsea has a great defense, no goals allowed in the CL (i think) and like 4 total.

For some reason I'm thinking it will 2-1, not sure who will win yet. It is at Highbury so i'm thinking Arsenal can come up on top.

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    We've allowed one in the CL and three overall. (1 to Soton and one to ManCity).

25. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    well, there you go. Thats a sign of a great defense.

I would say that Chelsea will win 1-0 because Lehman will do something stupid.