Can someone translate a French video/aud of Henry? (link inside)

Discussion in 'France' started by Rima067, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Anyone know what he's saying? I believe the interview was from Euro 2004.

(it's a real media file, I also have it as mp3 but it's only audio in mp3.)

www.leonanaess.org/offtopic/henryint1.rm

What's he saying about Fabien in one part (2:00) and why, in around 3:00 he says "no no no" sorry, I mean, "non, non, non" in a squeky voice. All of it if possible though!

2. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
  3. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    He's saying that some players had some kinda of a routine within the team (e.g Fabien), and that they needed to adapt to the changes because of new coach and new players. He's saying there were some discussions but nothing serious: 'Nobody tried to commit suicide over it !' ...

Nothing really to write home about. Pretty boring if you ask me.

iougs-

4. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    (I did my best to translate. Thierry Henry speaks some sort of "spoken french", and my english is not good enough to translate it accordingly. It explains the "non non non mais ouais" and that kind of things. It's just the way he talks. I had to use many brackets to explains what he doesn't say but is clear nonetheless.)

"It's sure this will be essential. The match in Rennes was a good opportunity for us to adapt to each other. I'm repeating myself, but it's our role to lead this game against Israel. It'll not be easy because some players don't have their marks in the team, but it's our work [he means the experienced players] to put them in the best situation.

Last year, i watched Monaco in the Champions League, Gaël Givet, Squillacci, Patrice Evra, Jérôme Rothen,or even Mendy with Paris... they proved that they can play at the best level, and that they have their place in team France. It's their responsability to confirm in the team, but if they are here, it's means they are good enough.

To compare with Arsenal, the role of "leader" came earlier in Arsenal... but, yes, it's okay [if you call me a leader]. When you're playing a long time enough for France, when you come from Arsenal, people are expecting some things and it's normal [to accept this role of leader].

[note: I'd like to emphazise the fact that his attitude nearly negates what he is actually saying. He SAYS he should be some sort of a leader, but he absolutly doesn't speak like one.]

Henry : No, no, no, it's a change in your life style, meaning it was different before. Sometimes you have to start from new bases, and accept the rules of the new coach [Domenech] and try to go on. After this, many things have been said, a lot of leaks in the press happened, but the most important is to build a team and go on with it.

[Question from the reporter]: Fabien Barthez himself said he was in doubt, but finally decided to stay...

Henry: It's good news for the team and supporters. About what Fabien said, i think it was a reaction to the global atmosphere in the team : many players retiring, the change in life style, a new beginning... I think Fabien wanted to talk about this, but after, many other things have been said. It's really a pity, but us, now, we have to focus on the matter at hand, saturday against Israel.

Reporter: It's just an adjustement period, then...

Henry: Yes, certainly, there have been many changes, especially for Fabien (a little less for myself), we used to have our own habits and things have changed, but no one died... It's just a normal adjustment period.

Reporter: Didn't it weaken the team ?

Henry: no, no, no, we had a few arguments, but no one wanted to commit suicide. Some things that have been said went too far, but it's just an adjustement period.

It's weird at age 27 to be among the veterans, but it's logical since i have been in team France for 7 years. I feel good, some young players are there, who have proven in various leagues that they are quality players and that they can add to team France. Now, it's our job, to us, the veterans (i don't like this word) to bring our "knowlegde" and to become models for the group so younger players can bring something to the team.

Everyone was disapointed with what happened during the Euro. I had no time to say it, but I think the supporter's reaction in Rennes was very good. The supporters are understanding that the team is rebuilding itself. It's especially important for the young players, If they play their first game in Stade de France in front of an hostile audience, it might be difficult, but it's our duty to reconquer the heart of the supporters.

[You can notice that Henry, even if he was raised in the parisian "zone" (ghetto), is a very quiet and polite man: he speaks 4 mins without involving any serious matter :) . But, once again, his gestures and his tone tell more than his words.]

5. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    Ahh, thank you so much.

I am still in the very beginning of my French learning process and could not make out the interview, though, you saw, I got "non, non, non" correct :D

I don't get to hear/read in depth Henry (or Les Bleus) interviews about Les Bleus in the English papers so this was nice to get.

If there's, like, a football video you'd like let me know (I have a lot of French commentated matches/videos (k7) -different leagues and competitions), I can perhaps get a hold of a match (past/present, anytime).

thank you again very much!

6. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    If I was in France right now, I would be all over the french ESPN Classic (not the american one) on satellite.

They show vintage France games from like "road to WC 82". In particular, the qualifying game against the Netherlands at Parc des Princes with Ruud Krol at the helm.

They also show some old and not so old French league games.

I would love to see the ill-fated 94 campaign because I ve never seen it.

Can you imagine ?

iougs-

7. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.

8. Rima067

Rima067 New Member

May 10, 2004
    I have a friend who probably has those matches.. can you watch French videos (or are willing to get them converted)?

I go to L'Equipe every single day :D

I have Les Yeux Dans Les Bleus 1 and 2 on dvd and 3 on video (can't find the dvd). I have watched them over and over (well, not the third one so much).

What I am looking for is a documentary w/ Les Bleus for Euro 2000, do they have anything in France? I couldn't find one anywhere, even on amazon.fr (which I just visited tree days ago to see about Les Bleus dvds! :D

9. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Rima,
    no I can't watch french tapes. Thanks for the offer though.

I wish they would put all this crap on DVD for easy viewing.

I wish I worked in TV and were in charge of the archives.

iougs-

10. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.

94 NEVER HAPPENED. :mad:

I still remember the goal by Kostandinov. It was like in the "twilight zone". Ginola lost a ball in attack (in bulgarian side), and, suddenly, it was as if the whole french team played on slow motion, simply watching.
    I don't lie : 15 seconds BEFORE the goal, Jean-Michel Larqué, who was on commentary, said :"this is a goal". No one in the french team moved, they watched kostandinov score, as if he was some sort of deity you could not dare to touch.

It was a lunar, out-of-this-world experience. Very weird.

I doubt you will find anything about this on video.

"LE PIRE DE L'EQUIPE DE FRANCE"
    "ALL THE WORST MOMENTS OF TEAM FRANCE ON DVD"
    No one thought about this.

(of course you'll need a complete set of 20 DVD's: The worst of 94, the worst of 2002, the worst of 2004... a big market, team France, if people like to see us lose :eek: )

11. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Pierre-Henri:

It's not about seeing the team lose, it's about seeing what happened and the players of that era. I've heard so many stories about the Ginola blunder but I have never seen it. I don't care about the 2002 and 2004 campaigns, not because the team lost but because I saw it.

I left in 89 so anything after that, I haven't seen besides what is shown on TV5 which is not much.

iougs-

12. Ballon d'or

Ballon d'or New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    You missed a lot then.

13. Pierre-Henri

Pierre-Henri New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Strasbourg, France.
    hello iougs

I was just joking about people coming to see us lose. We are not THAT bad... well most of the time. We have a star on the jersey, not so many teams in the world can say the same.

However, I wanted to post again, because i wasn't clear enough.

- I described the scene as i remember it. it was in 1993, and i haven't seen it since. I still think it was something rather unique in soccer history : a whole team that suddenly stops playing, as if struck by awe. And it was 23 SECONDS before the end of game. The worst game of team France ever.

- most important : i absolutly don't think Ginola is responsible for what happened. He lost the ball, true, but the Bulgarians still had to cross the whole pitch to lauch their attack. Ginola is only 1 / 11 of responsability. I think it's shameful to consider him as the only culprit. Team is a team, in victory or defeat. I had to say this, because, in France, Ginola is mostly remembered for this horrible instant. Considering his career, his style, the quality of his play, it's really (really, really) unfair.

But you're right, the team deserved better than this. Cantona / Papin was probably the best attack line in french history. Petit, Ginola and Djorkaeff were class incarnated, Laurent Blanc was at his best, Sauzée had a shot that could kill a bull, and Lama was a bouncing jungle cat (sorry for the cliché if people from Guyane read me).

All in all, this team was probably better than in 98. Weren't for this d-mn, bloody, rotten, unfortunate 23 seconds.

A great moment of soccer, tough, in a odd way.

14. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    I also would like to see the euro 96 ... I missed that one.

iougs-