Can someone please explain the math to me? Part 2

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by shwantzme, May 6, 2004.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah they keep it in their season stats. This was actually the same debate that I had at the time. I understand that a draw is a 50/50 win loss, but it's not counted as such. The goal in soccer is to get points, instead of calling it a winning percentage maybe points percentage would be more accurate. Theoretically given the set up of soccer a team could go through the whole season, and not win a single game but still finish in first place. So winning percentage when you have a game that involves ties doesn't really work, imo.

2. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    But the difference between 12-8 (.600) and 10-10 (.500) is two games, not four.

Fvcking A this is fun!!

3. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    This all started because I had this discussion with local radio sports personality here in lovely Richmond. We were discussing a baseball team's record. He actually agreed with me.

I know this has nothing to do with soccer and maybe should have gone into the NSR forum, but since the other "math" thread started here, I thought I would keep with tradition. :)

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comparing 12-8 to 10-10 can only be done between 2 different teams. One team can only be one or the other once 20 games have been played. Once a team reaches a record of 12-8, it will take a minimum of 4 more games for them to concievably reach .500.
    Those are the facts.

Lee

5. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you can't go back and change the games that the team has already played. "Over/Under .500" is a forward-looking term. How many games must a 12-8 team lose to get back to .500? The answer is four. Therefore, the team is four games over .500.

Should the team lose their next game, its record would be 12-9, or three games over .500, not 1.5 games. A team can't lose half of a game (I'm ignoring ties).

I think you're confusing "over/under .500," with "games back," where half-games are part of the convention.

6. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Another fact is that the difference between .500 and .600 for the 12-8 team is two games. You don't have to change any outcome to see that. It is simply the truth.

7. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    I see your point and it is completely valid. I think the way to look at it is that saying a team is four games over .500 is not the same as saying the difference between 12-8 and .500 is two games.

Your post is correct. the team is four games over .500 but the difference between their record and .500 is two games. Damn, I guess were done here.

8. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you're changing the argument...

You original statement was "12-8 is 2 games above .500".

Now you are saying "the difference between .500 and .600 for the 12-8 team is two games" which is completely different.

One statement is false, one is correct. Say something else right and you'll be one statement above .500. :D

9. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Actually, if you read my previous post to this, you will notice that I have completely acknowledged this and conceded that I was wrong. My reference to the two games is the difference and not the over/under.

10. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chalk it up to me being a slooooooooooow typer.

Good day!

Lee

11. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    well, certainly is not the new greatest thread ever, but it was fun. Thanks to all!