Can someone please explain the math to me? Part 2

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by shwantzme, May 6, 2004.

1. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    I am posting this thread here because I think this is where the Greatest.Thread.Ever. was posted originally.

Hypothetical situation:

A team's record is 12-8. Are they four games above .500 or two? Most sportscasters say 4. I have to disagree.

I say two games, In a twenty game season .500 is 10-10. If you won 12 games, then you only won two more games than you needed to make .500. You cannot take from the loss column without adding to the wins and vice versa.

Please discuss.

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    well, you clicked one too many times, Greatest.Thread.Ever. was posted in Major League Soccer (notice: no the)

I see where you are coming from and frankly, I'm torn. I had never thought about this before ... this is going to take some time...

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, you could look at it as the team would have to lose 4 more games to fall to .500. In your example, that the team has actually completed the season, I guess you have a point. But when talking about a team that is mid-season, I understand the rationale behind a 12-8 team being 4 games above .500, since they have at least 4 games before they could concievable be at .500. So put that in your math pipe and smoke it.

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    your comparison of 12-8 versus 10-10 is too simple. you must throw in the ties or "draws" column to really get the math discussion going.

5. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    I agree if the season is still goign on, but my example was based on a sportswriter talking about a teams record after the season was over. He said they were 17 games above .500 and I was thinking they were actuall 8.5 games above .500

I did smoke that and it is some good ********. BAM!

6. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Please feel free to do that yourself.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I'm picking up what you're putting down, but if we say that a 12-8 team, in mid-season and with more then 4 games to play, is considered 4 games above .500, based on my earlier explanation, then wouldn't it be silly to, all of a sudden, change the formula the day after the season is over? Kind of confusin', ain't it??

Boy, Man, G-d, $hit (as long as we are doing YEM refrences at the bottom of our posts)

8. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    They are 12-8-5...now try it shwantzme...you start some dumbass threads sometimes.

9. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Actually, now that I think of it, the formula is a constant. It doesn't matter where the team is in realtion to the season. A team at 12-8 is still only two games above .500 even if they have 40 more games to play. You cannot figure future games (unknowns) into it. You can only go by what actually exists.

They are only two games up because, if they had lost 2 of the games they won, they would be at .500.

I do enjoy your enjoyment of my YEM reference. You are only the second person to mention it so far. Great fvcking song! that tune is was the catalyst behind my reverance for those guys.

10. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    being that a draw is not a win or a loss, 12-8-5 is still 2 games above .500. the logic being that if a team tied every game of the season, they would be at .500.

11. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Now I have to take that back. the .500 stat refers to winning half of your games, no? Hmm.

12. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since a teams record is a 'fact', and 'ifs' cannot be considered, a 12-8 team is 4 games above .500.

Lee

13. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    QUite right, if 12-8 a team is 4 games over .500 as that is all they have played, the percentage of wins is reported in the standings section of the paper as well

14. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    but if .500 represents 10 wins, then they are only two games above it.

12 wins is .600
    10 wins is .500

12-8 is two games above .500 being that each game would represent +-.100 depending on a win or a loss.

15. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet you Sepp Blatter will come upon this thread shortly and, since he's all about making weird declarations like the one in favor of overtime, he'll propose that the world ditches the points table and go with baseball perentages like we're discussing here.

16. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You said "if".
    Either we are dealing in facts or we are dealing in hypotheticals, you decide.

The fact is 12-8 is 4 games above .500.

Lee

17. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    While you're having a kind of silly discussion about what it means to be a .500 ball club why doesn't someone try explaining to me how MLS calculates 'winning percentage' in its stats, or maybe the most accurate way to calculate winning percentage in soccer. I've argued that it should be points/points possiable. But that's just me.

18. UdoJurgens

UdoJurgens New Member

Apr 18, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If a team is 12-8, it must lose 4 games to return to .500. It is therefore 4 games over .500.

However, if a team is 12-8, and the second place team is 10-10, the 12-8 team is 2 games ahead of the second place team (which is at .500). This is becuase two weeks of the 12-8 team losing combined with the 10-10 team winning will even the records.

If that doesn't blow your mind, nothing will.

19. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    Wrong.

The fact is that in a twenty game season, ten wins is .500. So another fact is that 12 gaames is only two more than ten, making a 12-8 record two games above .500

20. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    I have to disagree and I am sure I will catch hell from LeeS for usng the next word.

"if" you take two wins away from a team at 12-8, you have to transfer those to the loss column making the record 10-10 (.500).

21. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong.
    If the statement is "12-8 is 2 games above .500" then what, exactly does the "2" mean?
    If the team plays 2 more games (and thats all they can do once the have played 20 games overall) they will be either 12-10, 13-9 or 14-8. Impossible to be .500 in only "2" games.

A 12-8 team is 2 games better than a 10-10 team (meaning that if the teams each play 2 more games they COULD be tied).

Lee

22. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    This has the potential to be the new greatest thread ever.:rolleyes: If it is so dumb, why are you bothering to respond? ;)

As for the ties, that adds a whole new dimension to the discussion. If .500 represents winning half of your games, then 12-8-5 would be .480. 12.5 games would represent .500, so they are 1/2 game away from .500.

Now waiting for LeeS to give me grief for using the word "if"

23. shwantzme

shwantzme Member

Jul 11, 2003
    The Old Dominion
    My point is that changing the outcome of 2 games minimum would put them at .500. So, they are two games beter than .500.

Isn't this fun?

24. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how the MLS calculates winning percentage, I wasn't aware that they did.

Anyway, due to the 3 points= win, 1 point= draw, its impossible, mathematically, to infer winning percentage by a simple points/points possable equation. Mathematically a draw is 50/50 win/loss, but in the MLS (as well as most other leagues) only .3333333inf is awarded for a draw.
    to get winning percentage (in a mathematical sense) for MLS teams, award 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and divide by number of games play times 2.

Lee

25. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First of all, this IS fun...

But I have to say, again, that by changing the outcome of 2 games is dealing with hypotheticals. An outcome is an outcome.

Lee