Can Ronaldo do it again? [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Dark Savante, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    So, we're in November. The football world has declared Ronaldo's goal tally of last season to be a one off, a fluke; a season of a lifetime.

Well, he had this many goals last season and went on to hit 42, as we all know.

So, d'ya reckon he can do it again?

Vote/ discuss.

2. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Let's try this again.

d'oh.

3. MtP07

MtP07 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2005
    I think he'll have just as good of a season, but will not score as many goals.

4. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For some reason I see 35 at the most. Berba is going to crave into his tally, not as much as I first thought, but it will be there.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Conventional belief and rational thought says it would be impossible for him to hit 42 goals again. Then again, conventional belief was shattered last season to begin with. That said, I don't think Ronnie can match last season in terms of goals. He may well end up with 20+ assists, but I don't think he'll top 40 goals. I expect he could approach 35 and even go as high as 38, but 42 is ridiculous. Regardless, anything above 35 proves it wasn't a fluke.

6. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Great season. No 42 goals, because a) that was otherworldy anyway, and b) he started late this season.

Think he'll hit 30 goals, but crank up the assists with Berbs.

7. JAKE SPEED

JAKE SPEED Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Voted for 25-30, but I thought about going lower---I don't think we will rely on him as much this year, and I think that on the whole we will play better football because of it. I want to see him get 15-20 assists moreso than another 40 goals.

8. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He had the same number of goals as last season at the start of this month.

9. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes but it is really dependent on the insane Dec/Jan goal tallies he has had over the last two seasons. He is going to spend half of Dec in Japan.

10. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    He is not going on holiday there.

Am not saying he will, just not saying that he won't.

11. Howard Zinn

Howard Zinn Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I voted for him to beat last season's tally based on this. If he's at the same mark at the same point this season as he was last season, and if he missed a decent portion of the season already, I would say he's banging them in at will right now and the only thing that can slow him is an injury. He's gotten to the point that he can score even in games where he's nonexistant or ineffective.

Just a question though, but do goals scored in that World Club Championship thing count?

12. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    G**dam, didn't realize that.

******** it then, why not?

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    There's no why he can't. However, I do think because of Berbatov and the occasional need to give Tevez playing time, it could cut down on some of Ronaldo's playing time as well as his goal tally. Berbatov does a lot of the ghosting Ronaldo made last season and it results in goals, so they'll be sharing quite a few between them.

I think we will see a decrease in his goal scoring consistency but I do think we will see an increase in the amount of goals he scores in every match.

14. sdotsom

sdotsom Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 27, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, good point. But it does seem like Tevez, for the most part, has become the "expendable" - I hate saying that - part of our "Fab 4". In fact, of our 4 attackers I think Ronaldo is the most likely to always start, with Roo/Tevez/Berbytoff rotating the other 2 spots. If we get deep into the FA/European Cup again, and if Ronaldo goes to Sepp Blatter's Asian Circus in January, he'll have ample opportunities to catch last year's goal total. I think 42 may have been a 1 off, but I think he can consistently score 30 a year .

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Then what the hell would you call it!

16. urbnzy

urbnzy Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Slovenia
    Goalscoring spreeeeee

17. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Exactly.

18. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good point.

My bad.

Moving right along......

:D

19. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well he isn't going to play competitive football there. :p

20. 433tom

433tom New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Between 30 and 32 if he stays fit.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I still dont rate his composure infront of goal as high as most others. That and his finishing can get WAY better, so I say why not? But because of the number of players we have upfront capable of 25 goals, I'd say he can still get around 35.

22. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    I think he's gonna get 25

23. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say anything above 20 would prove it wasn't a fluke. For a player like Ronaldo who plays where he plays anything aroundc the 20-25 mark is exceptional. 42 just proved what he can do when he gets the breaks. When the decision go for him. But I'd be more than happy with something around the 20 mark.

24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd say scoring over 6 goal in the CL including 1 in the final whilst being the best or joint best player on your team winning back to back League titles and a CL proves its not a fluke, but what do I know?