Can MLS get any more convoluted?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by crewcrazy17, Aug 2, 2002.

1. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2001/0109/1004502.html

This states that SJ rec'd a '03 Draft pick from NE for not a player or pick or cash even, but "budget room". It goes on to say that it can only be done when a team is given a chance to sign a player to replace a injured player. I guess it shows that the salary cap is not as flexible as most of us thought but this sure sounds funky.

2. sljohn

sljohn Member

Apr 28, 2001
    Out of town
    It's as though San Jose were paying a Rev's player's salary for the rest of the season in exchange for a draft pick next season.

With single-entity, that translates to "budget room" instead of cash.

This means that San Jose:
    > wants more draft picks next season to replace players they expect to lose (LD?)
    > has been holding onto extra "budget room", and
    > doesn't think they'll need it for any new signees this season.

For New England:
    > they really want to sign someone that will put them over the hump and into the playoffs
    > they've got loads of talent already, next year's draft isn't a big concern.

3. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, this was actually announced earlier this year when the Fire needed help.

Secondly, since the League owns all contracts, just look at it as MLS having a $17M or so salary cap which is evenly distributed among the teams, but teams are allowed to trade their unused money.

4. Red Bug

Red Bug New Member

May 10, 2002
    Sounds like a dangerous precedent to me. Once the teams can start trading the unused portions of their salary caps, what's to keep them from stocking one team with a bunch of top quality players while the other teams have a bunch of mediocre talent? Sounds a lot like the lopsided NASL to me.

If it was up to me, I'd keep it at a set salary cap for each team, no Enron-esque financial deals allowed.

5. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The desire of the other teams to win.

I think the word "Enron-esque" has jumped the shark. :)

6. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I think "jumped the shark" has jumped the shark :D

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They've been doing this for a while now. And if you look at the last few years, there is much more of a concerted effort to keep the teams as even as possible than there is to stock one team to the detriment of others.

The NASL debacle occurred because there was no salary cap and market size tended to dictate what a team could spend. MLS has a cap. I don't see your correlation.

What incentive to MLS is there to artificially create one dominant team?

8. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, it can't happen. The phrase jumping the shark doesn't fit with the definition.

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I'd either agree with you or disagree with you, but I'm admit I didn't really understand you.

10. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    www.jumptheshark.com

Enjoy.

11. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS jumped the shark when Landon stopped dying his hair. After that it just wasn't special anymore.

We almost had "Special Guest Star" Paul Gascoigne.

- Paul