can concacaf compete against conmebol?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Pottermaniac, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Well the real question is can we actually, make a cup that is as successful as copa libertadores?

I mean we already know that the gold cup and the champions cup is a disaster. the gold cup is hosted all the time by the U.S. and the champions cup is just not that good.

can we actually make a new tournament similar to copa libertadores? of course we know they'll make money cause mexican clubs will be in it, but now we got teams like saprisa that are getting in the same level as the mexican teams and the mls teams that are getting somewhat competitive.

can we pull it off? if so what would the new name be?

2. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes if we have a 32 team tourney. 8 groups with 4 teams in each. If there would be several mexican teams in it, then yes concacaf can have a great CCC.

3. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is already in the works. Don Garber, MLS Commish, has stated in some press confrences that MLS and MFL are working together with Univision to form a North American Champions League. Talks are really in their infacy but the biggest part of the deal is that Univision want some wednesday night games which alrady meansa more money that the current set up.

Best guesses are a 16 team league (4 groups of 4) group stage then knock out rounds.

No confermation what CONCACAF thinks of this, but i am sure it would include Costa Rican, and other Central America's top clubs as well.

4. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala

when would this start?????

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    That would be bad. There aren't enough quality teams. 16 max.

6. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

anything is possible when you go this going around

[​IMG]

I guess your asking this because Mexico was screwed form another CONMEBOL tournament??

With Univision at the helm of this tournament im sure it can be a success. The Main focus will be on money though. Owners want the incentive and the pressure. Im guessing this will start in maybe 2008-09 when atleast the majority of MLS teams have SSS. If this tournament is gonna generate major revenue its gonna have to get MLS fans involved. My only issue with MLS and participating in international tournaments is the fanbase has not matured (only DCU). Either that or they just don't care. Maybe the Beckham Rule will add some needed spark into the league with SSS and higher Salary.

Maybe its time the CONCACAF began to emerge on its own. Heck even Africa has been able to organize successfull Champions League and Condeferation Cups. Why can't we do it??

my wishes for this Americas Champion League

16 teams

5 MFL teams (top 2 from each of their season, their 5th would be a mystery to even me :D)
    4 MLS (USA) ( top 2 from West & East)
    1 Carribean ( Best Carribean club off some pre-qualifier)
    5 CA ( 2 CR, 1 ES , 1 Hon , 1 Guat)

*1 Canadian ( Toronto MLS team or even USL, let Canadians taste some also )

7. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    That would be great, do you have any link ?

8. Miss Webous

Miss Webous Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Club:
    Cruz Azul Hidalgo
    since when do we need MLS fans to make some money

9. Desert_Eagle

Desert_Eagle Member

Oct 29, 2005
    U.S.A
    There are plenty of Mexicans, Costa Ricans, Guatemalans, Hondurenos, salvadorians, etc. MLS fan aren't needed they are just a + if they start joining in. The money will be made by all this latino market.

10. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998
    I think that 16 is perfect for a this type of tourney. I am amazed by the lack of
    marketing of the Concacaf Champions Cup with markets like mexico, usa, and central america. You would think there would be sponsers coming out of the woodwork trying to attach there name to this competition. The fact of the matter is that if this new competition is done properly with the right sponsers the teams have a chance to earn more money from the New Concacaf Champions Cup than the Copa Libertadores. I would say that I would like to see more that just MLS and MFL teams maybe three for each and the rest given out to central american clubs and Caribeean clubs. Just to spread the money around.

11. Amercali

Amercali Member

Mar 28, 2005
    New Jersey
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    if you guys do make a tournament, just make it honest unlike the conmebol which keeps cheating mexico. soccer is too funny in my conmebol. we make the rules as we go along. we change schedules, we give yellows instead of reds, we take goals away in the game and in penalty kicks. are we going to cheat teams all our life?

12. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sounds pretty good, just a couple changes I would make--first, Canada's representative should be the CPSL champion, if Toronto's MLS team wants to play in it they should have to qualify thru MLS--and since the CPSL obviously isn't as strong as MLS, MFL, the CR league, etc. they should have to qualify thru a preliminary round. How about this:

-3 MFL, 3 MLS, 1 Jamaican, 1 CR, defending champ qualify directly to group stages
    -#4 teams in MLS and MFL, #2 teams in Jamaica and CR, #1 teams in Trinidad, ES, Honduras, Guat, CPSL qualify directly to preliminary stage
    -Champions of all the Central American minnows have a tournament for 3 spots in the preliminary stage, champions of the Carribean minnows play for 2 spots
    -Home and home playoff among preliminary-stage qualifiers for entry into group stage, MLS and MFL team can't face each other

Then have 4 groups of 4, top 2 qualify and you're on your way.

13. changoguapo

changoguapo New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Bakersfield, Cali.
    I like the sound of having a North American Club Championship, but the minute you say Don Garber and Univision, i dont like it already. With the hopeful expansion of the World Cup of Clubs, Mexican teams dont have to go to South America, but with USSF/Univision in charge it will be held in US cities giving disadvantages to many Non-US and Mexican teams, sort of like the Gold Cup. Amercali noted that any new tournament must be fair, unfortunately this new set up will not be fair to Central American/Carribean participants.

14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Garber said it would follow a Champions League type format... so I doubt MFL teams would be forced to play their home games in US soil.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i can easily name 18 quality teams ;). but i don't agree. if there were lets say 8 or 10 mexican teams in the tourney. and if you add the top 3 or 4 teams from costa rica, guatemala, usa, honduras, jamaica, el salvador. it is possible for concacaf to have a good 32 team CCC. So what if not every team is america or cruz azul. Not every team in libertadores is top notch either. If Asia has one so can concacaf. i'm not insulting asia, just showing some evidence :D

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I think it should be a home-and-home format, however teams have the option to play their home leg wherever they want and still control the gate revenue. If you're the Bermudan champion you're going to lose to Chivas (Guadalajara, not so sure about USA ;)) or DC United wherever you play them so why shouldn't that club have the option of playing the game in the US and pulling in enough cash to run their club for the whole year??

17. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998
    I think they should follow the Copa Merconorte example of paying the travel expenses of all the clubs. That way poorer clubs can go to places that they otherwise may not afford.

18. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    i understand what you guys are saying, but you cannot have all the mexican teams in this cup. If you are going to have 8 teams from mexico, then the ones in primera A should also get a shot.

19. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

I dont think any country should have more than 3 teams in this competition. I also agree that there shouldn't be so many mexican teams. I realize that by having 4 teams for both MLS and MFL you can have each group with an MFL team and MLS team and while that's nice it isn't fair to the other leagues.

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    mls doesn't deserve more spots than costa rican teams.

21. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice contribution

22. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    likewise

23. arcturus rex

arcturus rex BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 10, 2005
    Can Concacaf compete against Conmebol?

I think it has already been shown by Mexican teams.

It's just a matter of time before Mexico wins a Conmebol trophy.

24. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    correct jared correct

25. General Manager

Dec 23, 1998

That may be true but sponsers care more about the american market than the costa rican one. so it is in the interest of everyone that the MLS teams are well represented. That being said with 16 teams costa rica should get two spots. Maybe something like the UEFA champions league should be created were for example Mexico has 4 spots but only 2 are allowed into the final 16 and the other 2 have to play in a pre-qualifier. Aside from Alajeunse (SP?) and Saprissa what other Costa rican clubs have had some success in the CCC ?