Can Christianity Be Proven? (part 2)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 29, 2004.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Original post:

====================

Q: What is your faith specifically? What's its significance?

Question set number #4:

What's the message?

What's the example?

What's the promise?

Why are you so **sure** that you **will** receive what is promised? What basis provided you with that kind of confidence?

2. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    What's the message?
    The Bible (God is good. God loves Us. We are to love others as God loves us and we are to love God)

What's the example?
    Jesus

What's the promise?
    Salvation from our sins

Why are you so **sure** that you **will** receive what is promised? What basis provided you with that kind of confidence?
    The holy spirit

3. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    These are not good answers if the subject of the conversation is not a Christian already in the first place. Can you do it in a layman's term so that he can understand what you are talking about?

Hey, is Mike Segroves on vacation this week?

4. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is the BS version of puttting a "kick me" sticker on one's back.

5. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Except the kicker didn't want to show up...

6. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie

7. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Riceman, are you an alias of Mike Segroves?

I like to give him a chance to answer my questions first, but you writeup is impressive though...He can't be on vacation forever, can he?

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I may be way off base, because I haven't been following the discussion, but:

Why would anyone want to 'prove' a religion anyway? Surely the whole point of Christianity is that it's based on faith.

9. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Blind faith?
    Leap of faith?

God is the answer... isn't he that benevolent old WASPish looking guy with the beard,
    who gives kids cancer?

The answer is Jesus...Well there was a jesus, history give us that but he wasn't born on christmas day and if you believe in virgin birth...well that is a leap of faith..!

Salvation for our sins....ditto.
    One can only hope!!! Or is this why you idiots 'believe' in the first place.
    Pile up all your sins and at the last minute get yourself shriven...phew, another sinner saved...!

WTF is a holy spirit......let's burn some insense and conjure one up shall we..!

How about we conjure up a religious board for this crap and get some of the howling religious freaks out of here. It's hardly politics Or current events. It's about a bunch of self rightious fools reaching for their crutches,

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are levels of proof. The seemingly unreachable scientific level of proof will convince just about everyone, but there are lower levels of proof that are important to Christians. That is because Christians are tasked to promote their religion, and so use those levels of proof available to them to try to convince individuals to convert. If the religion was only about faith, then there never would have been a class of people with (supposedly) first-hand sunstantial proof in the form of Jesus performing miracles.

11. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Thank you!

I find it hard to see if VBD is a christian or not. He's just tossing out questions. I didn't join in any other threads of the type so I can't say what 'bunch' started them.

My bunch? Got to admit though as soon as a thread of this type comes up, it does seem to go on and on forever and ever......

I don't wan't him to stop (Maybe start his own board) But 2 threads with the same startup is a bit much. Perhaps he's really looking for an answer but I don't think he'll find it here. Maybe he's been a really bad dog and wants a way out before it's too late.
    Try Catholicism VBD, Saturday night confessional and you're good to go again.

12. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    You are back! except with these lies. When did I start this thread every 3-4 months? Btw, I restarted this part 2 thread because the first one had reached posting limit and locked by the mod.

Let me look at your answers for a moment and then ask you more questions.

13. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    Like what? Examples please.

14. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    I posted this a while ago in suggestions. Huss wasn't exactly for the idea.
    Would require a new moderator or 2. Any priests, imams or rabbis got time for Bigsoccer?

15. Frankfurt Blue

Sep 3, 2003
    Doytshlund
    This applies to the major religions. God 'speaking' to the major players in the religions and then peoples believing in the writings of these such events is FAITH.

16. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wotan and I are laughing at all of you right now.
    Now, where'd that goat get to?

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is a no win situation for us skeptics. The one thing that would prove Christianity beyond a reasonable doubt is the second coming of Christ, but (based on what I've been told), by then it would be too late for us.

Maybe the good guy will give us a break for intellectual honesty, no?

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    First hand proof in our lifetime..

A few years ago when I lived in Utah, the chief prophet, seer and revelator of the Mormon Church was told by the IRS that they would lose their tax free status if blacks (Then, African Americans now) were not permitted to enter the church. After much soul searching and a lot of praying and on the final day he was given to make a decision, the lord spoke to him and gave him a revelation that he had the lords blessing to allow African Americans into the Church of Jesus Christ and Latter Day Saints.

And the people said "Hallaluja, a Miracle, saved again....!"

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_a...lacks_allowed_priesthood_in_the_Mormon_Church

19. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    Usscouse,

1) If you're going to be going around calling Christians idiots you should at least educate yourself on who Christians believe God is.

2) Don't you get it? It's not the day Jesus was born but the day that he was crucified (for everyone's sin) that is significant and the fact that there is no body in the tomb.
    Of course faith is required to believe in the truth of a virgin birth, however, if God did create the universe and all things in it then it's reasonable to believe that God would not be bound by the very rules he created for the universe. Also, don't you ever wonder why there are rules in the universe and where they came from?

3) People put there hopes for salvation on different things. Some believe they can actually follow all the 10 commandments (impossible). Some believe if they pray 5 times a day and blow up a few infidels they will be saved. Some believe if they roll on the ground for a 1000 miles they'll be saved. Me... I put my hope in Jesus.
    USSCOUSE....You just hope there isn't a God.

4) I used to be atheist too. Actually worse, I just didn't want anything to do with God. Thus my life had this going for it, Emptiness, Lonliness, Jealousy, Bitterness, Anger, Hate, Depression.

Usscouse, most every post of yours is bitter and angry. Take a look at yourself, are you honestly happy? Circumstances will never make you happy.

Me... self-righteous? Hey, I freely admit I'm not righteous, not even close. But if you get offended by Jesus saying "all have sinned" then maybe you're the one being "self-righteous".

20. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Shouldn't this thread be titled ...

... Can Christianity Be Proven? (Second Coming).

JMHO

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have faith that you'll say something stupid again very soon.

22. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Red, for giving me something to have faith in. As an agnostic, this thread was making me feel inadequate.

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Ye gods, what a self deluding diatribe. I really do feel for you, that's so sad. I hope you get back to normal some day without hurting anyone.

24. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    The best you have to offer is Normalcy?
    No thanks, I've alreay tried it and it's not very rewarding.

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Sadder and sadder Riceman. Maybe it's Texas that's doing you in.:)
    I've lived in four countries and four US States, It really is a wonderful world and a great life, make the most of it, you only see this one time around..!