Can Africa actually host in 2010?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by kasai, Aug 8, 2002.

1. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    The Battle for Control of US Soccer

People are forgetting that South Africa lost out on the 2006 WC by one vote. FIFA will not be able to award the cup to any other confederation IMHO. Africa will have WC2010, and South Africa is the logical choice.

What wouldn't surprise me is if by 2007 or 2008 it is determined that South Africa cannot host the cup and it is moved to another country. Then maybe the U.S. is a good choice.

MOD NOTE: This was split from the Future of U.S. Soccer thread

2. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Africa will host the 2010 World Cup. Most likely South Africa. The next opportunity for the US would be 2014.

3. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Must Disagree

You're forgetting Australia in the discussion. They could probably do it without too much trouble (with Sydney 2000 as a blueprint).

4. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The Battle for Control of US Soccer

Well, there you have it. Book your flights now.

5. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Give me 8 stadia that could host it in South Africa.

OOPS. They don't have 8 WC-Quality stadia.

And unlike Korea and Japan, who actually have working economies, they don't have the money to build them.

6. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess you must be more informed than the FIFA Executive committee of which a 50% - 1 voted for South Africa's 2006 bid and in which SA missed a majority only because of Oceania's rep abstained even though the confederation told him to vote for SA

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

Look, I don't want to get into a pissing match. Africa has deep, deep problems which have only gotten worse since that vote was taken. South Africa had huge stadia issues even at the time of the vote and would have required an influx of cash to stage the WC. They have also been counting on foreign investment to create more accomodation infrastructure, but that's dried up as well. If the same vote were taken today, it wouldn't be nearly as close.

As a rule of thumb, look at losers in the Olympic bidding process. Often times, runners up will drop out and not re-submit (Beijing being a notable exception). When South Africa re-submits their bid and there are no credible alternatives from more developed parts of the world, then they'll the be front-runner.

9. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    OK, I split the threads. Africa discussion here and U.S. Soccer Federation talk over there.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: The Battle for Control of US Soccer

With the cash crunch at FIFA, caused by the bankruptcy of Sepp's TV pals, this isn't going to fly too well.

Plus, Africa was one of the leading confeds trying to oust Blatter this spring.

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Funny, this looks like the start of a pissing contest to me.

geordie, you need to be more upfront with your facts and less arrogant if you want to show any credibility here to anyone who has a real understanding of South Africa. From the above post, and the other one, and the post you made on the US bid for 2010, you look like a a man who can site some facts but has absolutely no idea of the actual situation.

12. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Danny Jordaan at the WC already said he would bid for the Confederations Cup
    At the end of the day, it comes down not to S.A. stadia or some of the other issues people love to throw up, but the will of both the west and Fifa to see that it works. Also, I don't think most Americans understand the scar that the sactions left on S.A., and the how important it would be for the country to stage this event-the idea that South Africans won't...what, "behave?"

It would be nice to see west step-up and see this event take place in S.A., but I aint holding my breath.

13. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Re: Re: Re: Must Disagree

This will not happen. The Aussie federation has no money and playing games in Aussie Rules stadiums won't fly with FIFA. hey don't have enough quality stadiums or the money to build new ones. Also the government has come out against submitting a bid. This one will go nowhere quickly.

14. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    As I see it, there are two ways that we can get the 2010 games.

1) FIFA decides that Africa can't handle it or the economics are so much better here that they award it to the US instead.

2) The games are awarded to an African country. FIFA monitors their progress building stadiums, etc. and realizes it will never be ready in time. They look for another country as a replacement and realize the US is by far the best choice. Without any construction, the US had 3 dozen huge stadium to pick from. The US is also used to handeling big events, so they won't need much time to get ready.

I think #2 is more likely than #1 for the 2010 games. If that doesn't happen, I think we'll get 2014.

15. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming a 50K seat stadium as a minimum for hosting WC matches, South Africa has six:

FNB Stadium, Johannesburg 90K capacity
    Ellis Park, Johannesburg 63K capacity
    Odi Stadium, Pretoria 60K capacity
    ABSA Stadium, Durban 55K capacity (built 1957)
    Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria 52K capacity (built 1924)
    Newlands, Capetown 50K capacity

Just an FYI to move the discussion along

16. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Morocco

Morocco is in Africa.

I think Morocco will get it.
    They have consistently bid on it and I believe they came very close in 1994. Close to Europe. Stable. The government has publicly committed to the anticipated infrastructure expenses in the past. They have players in Europe.

My Candidate for 2010, Morocco.

17. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    One factor that I don't think has been mentioned is the ability of the host nation to fill the stadia. Crowds at some of the more obscure games (cue my wife "You're getting up at 2:00 a.m. to watch who? against what?") at KJ02 were looking a little sparse, and there was much talk about the embarrassment this caused. Clearly the ticket distribution contributed, but was not the whole story.

I am not sure that S. Africa or Morocco could fill the stadia at the prices that FIFA or an organizing committee would likely charge.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, this is true, and in the article that posted, Danny Jordaan noted that this was a problem they would have to deal with.

19. snorklefish

snorklefish New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Miami, FL
    From the CIA world fact book: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html

Per capita GDP: $8,500 (2000 est.)
    50% of South Africans are at or below the poverty line. (2000)
    Unemployment rate is 30% (2000)
    Life expectancy at birth is 48 years. (2001)
    20% of the population has AIDS/HIV. (1999)

For comparison, in South Korea:

Per capita GDP: $16,100 (2000 est.)
    Unemployment rate is 4.1% (2000)
    Life expectancy at birth is 74.65 years
    0.01% of the population has AIDS/HIV. (1999)

20. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    South Africa 2010

Listen, I understand what you're saying and you make some valid points. Africa does have deep problems, but it's not Africa who is going to host the World Cup. It's going to be South Africa (or Morrocco or whatever).

FIFA has already decided that the World Cups will be rotated by continents starting with 2010, which will be somewhere in Africa. So when South Africa re-submits its bid, they won't be credible alternatives from more developed parts of the world, because FIFA has already said so. Now, FIFA may change its mind, but for now, I'm operating on the assumption they won't.

One other poster mentioned 6 stadia in South Africa which have at least 50,000 places (and didn't a few SK/Japan stadia have fewer than that?).

I suspect locals will be able to fill the stadia. South Africa is a far more football mad country than USA was in '94 or even SK and Japan were before '02. The only real question is if the ticket prices will be exorbitant or not.

South Africa hosted a very successful African Nations Cup in '96. Now, the CAN is NOT the World Cup, particularly in terms of media infrastructure required, especially since the explosion of the Internet that has occurred since then. But upgrading is hardly as inconceivable as some people here have convinced themselves.

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, at least not with pan-African generalizations (Africa this, Africa that). At least come up with stuff specific to the South Africa.

21. GoHawks4

GoHawks4 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rape every 23 seconds. Rape of minors distturbingly commonplace. Would you bring your wife there? Your kids? Go to Germany, but sit your ass on the couch for '10.

22. snorklefish

snorklefish New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Miami, FL
    According to the British Home Office: Research and Statistics Directorate [see CIAC, SAPS. The Incidence of Serious Crime : January to June 1998, CIAC, Pretoria. September 1998] a homicide rate of 69.34 per 100 000 of the population was obtained for Washington, D.C.

The 1999 homicide rate for Johannesburg was 136.3.

http://www.saps.org.za/8_crimeinfo/200112/report.htm

23. Ronaldo13

Ronaldo13 New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    NY
    Africa can't afford the WC....they don't have the stadiums and they don't have the money to build them....i think 2010 will go to the US....

24. calcioplaya

calcioplaya New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    what about egypt? maybe one of most well of nations in Africa?

25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there you have it. Don't book your flights now.