Campeonato Europeu 2020 J4 Bélgica - Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Jun 25, 2021.

?

Resulto

1. Vitoria

84.6%
  2. Empate

7.7%
  3. Derrota

7.7%
  1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    La-Cartuja050516a.jpg

Estadio La Cartuja de Sevilla - Sevilla - Espanha

27 - 06 - 2021 20h00 (Portugal)

NewLaw83 and artielange84 repped this.
  3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    História

08 Junho 1930: Bélgica 2 Portugal 1 Amigável
    31 Maio 1931 Portugal 3 Bélgica 2 Amigável
    17 Junho 1951 Portugal 1 Bélgica 1 Amigável
    14 Março 1954 Bélgica 0 Portugal 0 Amigável
    17 Maio 1962 Portugal 1 Bélgica 2 L Amigável
    03 Maio 1964 Bélgica 1 Portugal 2 Amigável
    17 Fevereiro 1971 Bélgica 3 Portugal 0 Euro Qualificação
    21 Novembro 1971 Portugal 1 Bélgica 1 Euro Qualificação
    11 Outubro 1978 Portugal 1 Bélgica 1 Euro Qualificação
    17 Outubro 1979 Bélgica 2 Portugal 0 Euro Qualificação
    04 Fevereiro 1987 Portugal 1 Bélgica 0 Amigável
    15 Fevereiro 1989 Portugal 1 Bélgica 1 Mundial Qualificação
    06 Setembro 1989 Bélgica 3 Portugal 0 Mundial Qualificação
    23 Feveveiro 2000 Bélgica 1 Portugal 1 Amigável
    24 Março 2007 Portugal 4 Bélgica 0 Euro Qualificação
    02 Junho 2007 Bélgica 1 Portugal 2 Euro Qualificação
    29 Março 2016 Portugal 2 Bélgica 1 Amigável
    02 Junho 2018 Bélgica 0 Portugal 0 Amigável

Vitoria: 6
    Empate: 7
    Derrota: 5

5. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    This should feel like a home game in Seville.

NewLaw83, Sumol and artielange84 repped this.
  6. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Here’s hoping. 2-0 with a Ronaldo tap/penalty to break the record in 85+

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Agreed. Portugal are very lucky to play a knock out game in Spain.That is the only positive of being in this bracket.

BatatasFritas repped this.
  8. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We'd have far better support in France or Germany with our immigrants. Stadium won't make a difference, heat might and we have less rest time.

Anyway, match is going to be a tough one. Speed and wing defense were our Achilles heel against Germany but hopefully the tactical changes will help. If we play like we did then we're getting slaughtered.

The good news is that hopefully Santos has seen it given the changes with France and so I'm hoping we can slow the game down a bit and exploit their own defensive issues.

9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The pitch does not look in great shape from what I seen when Spain has played

10. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If we win we will be back in Munich Germany for the QF, the SF and Final at Wembley.

11. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    '...And so, for all their years of peerless excellence, the legacy of Belgium’s greatest generation really boils down to these next four games. Of Belgium’s last 58 opponents, only two have managed to prevent them from scoring. One was France in the World Cup. The other, in a goalless draw in Brussels in June 2018, was Portugal.'

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Semedo Dias Pepe Guerreiro
    Palhinha. Sanches
    Silva Moutinho Jota
    Ronaldo

Lukaku worries me with our defence. Benzema was able to beat Dias the other night and he's not as quick as Lukaku.

I'd like to see Andre Silva given some more time if Jota doesn't perform. Give him at least 45 mins.

13. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They played us with this that day
    Screenshot_20210626-103129_Firefox.jpg

14. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The fact remains, France hit the framework of the goal twice against us in the final (if I remembre correctly), but, we won. Belgium were the better team against France in the other game too, but, they lost.

15. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Going to be a nailbiter. Read a lot about the game and Lukaku is going to be dangerous. I would expect him to slip it past our back line at some point, hopefully not due to a penalty. But I also think their back line is going to make a mistake at some point. I would guess a 1-1 tie at half and the subs providing the edge in the second. So cautiously optimistic.

Also worried about the rest factor. I'm not sure what kind of pregame prep goes on for the players, I believe in American football there's a big meal the day before among other stuff. My point is if the routine is rushed or disrupted it could have an impact.

16. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we should start same team as last game. Bring in Palhinha for danilo at 60 to keep up the intensity

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed, I'd be SO tempted to play Felix and push Bernardo into CM, He has insane workrate and can bring the same intensity and even better passing ability/movement Moutinho brings, but we all know Santos won't do that.

With how open Belgium play, and lack of quality defense and defensive midfield this type of match would have been perfect for Bruno Fernandes and his ability to really spread play and press...yet in his current state he probably shouldn't.

With two days less rest I would think Santos might make a couple changes to freshen things up much like he did vs Croatia in 2016, but the only one's I could see would be Nuno Mendes for Gurreiro and Felix for Moutinho with Bernardo pushed inside.

The game will rely on Danilo/Palhinha sticking to De Bruyne and not giving him any time/space much like how Adrien completely smothered Modric in 2016, it remains to be seen if they could do the same job tomorrow, I have my doubts. Dias/Pepe need to force Lukaku outwide and not be able to turn with the ball into our box.

Fullbacks really need to bomb up the field because their attacking midfielders ( Hazard, Carrasco, Mertens) will not track back....

JoseEmidio repped this.
  18. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Fully agree that our FB's can take advantage of Belgiums lazy wing players. Unfortunately, i see F.Santos lining up acting as some inferior team like we always do against any sort of 'big nation' and tomorrow.. we're up against the almighty number 1 ranked team in the world (what a joke that is)..

In all seriousness.. Pepe/Dias SHOULD be able to contain Lukaku.. SHOULD..

id personally leave KDB up to Renato. Renato is stronger and has more pace. If Renato really wanted to.. he could take KDB out of the game entirely.. but, it isnt upto me.

Not sure what everyone sees in this Belgium side, but i do think Portugal can take them.. but i also thought we would take out Uruguay a couple years ago too and that didnt work out well..

Bacalhau repped this.
  19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think Felix will get in... Perfect game for him. Belgium is seeded #1.... more pressure on them, Portugal just need to keep on eye on Lukaku, one mistake... That's all it takes.

Either way I'm strangely confident, don't know why. (Get back after the game. Lol!)

20. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Uruguai is much better defensively and Cavani was ruthless that day.

21. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I am worried a bit about this game. Mostly for a short rest compared to Belgium and that the Seleção have yet to hit on all cylinders since this tournament started. Could they in this game? I hope so... Even we agree or not with the FIFA rankings, Belgium is still one of the top teams and they play a very similar style to Germany. I hope this is were Portugal finally get some good chemistry going.

22. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    #22 portugamerifinn, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Do we know why the city isn't hosting these matches at either Sevilla's or Real Betis' stadium, but rather at a multi-purpose stadium with no permanent football tenant?

All I can think of is this stadium is on the outskirts of the city, so it's easier/safer to get in and out of. Either that or both big clubs are renovating this summer. I suppose it could also be due to both clubs being too competitive/petty to be cool with the other getting this marquee hosting gig.

23. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Well, if it makes you feel better we're the best opponent Belgium has faced at this tournament but the inverse isn't true. They also were outplayed by Denmark and lucky to only trail by a goal at halftime of that match while also overperforming their xGD by like four goals over three matches. They also only broke through against Finland on a stupid (one might even say unfair) own goal late.

This Belgium team can be had, so I just hope Portugal doesn't give it too much credit. Keep a strong defensive spine early, but don't act like we have to settle for 1-0 or something.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  24. AIL1998

AIL1998 Member+

May 27, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of luck to Portugal today.

palynka, BatatasFritas and NewLaw83 repped this.
  25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This article basically explains it all.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-soccer-euro-esp-swe-pitch-idUKKCN2DR136

portugamerifinn repped this.