Campeonato Europeu 2020 J2 Portugal - Alemanha

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by JoseEmidio, Jun 12, 2021.

?

Resulto

1. Vitoria

41.7%
  2. Empate

33.3%
  3. Derrota

25.0%
  1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  2. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #2 JoseEmidio, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    allianz-2.jpg

Allianz Arena - Munique - Alemanha

19 - 06 - 2021 17h00 (Portugal)

3. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  4. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I can still remember the last time we beat them on German soil, 0-1 World Cup qualifying 1985 the win took us to Mexico 86
    Cracking goal from Carlos Manuel long range lob over Schumacher, the 1st time Germany lost a home qualifying game

5. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It's been 21 years since we've beaten Germany. The same tourney that made them change their entire system and brought them much success at every age group.

If there was a time where we would have the team to win and for Germany to be in a low spell out would be now. But losing to France gives Germany more incentive plus they are at home. It's going to be really tough, I hope for at least a draw but I hope we play to win.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  6. overheadkicks

overheadkicks Member

G.D. Chaves
    Portugal
    Feb 14, 2014
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Renato Sanches has to start or play here. Nobody else in the midfield offers what he does. He's a great all arounder, which I usually don't like unless they have a lot of agression like he does. He may not have the best decision making all the time. But the energy he leaves on the field helps prevent the rest of the team from playing lazy.

Fernandes and Bernardo don't mesh well, they're stepping on eachother's toes really. They have to sort it out or only one of them can play.

Jota had a poor game but I won't be upset if he starts again. But Andre Silva is too good to not be played here.

Rui Patricio
    Semedo
    Pepe
    Dias
    Guerreiro
    Danilo
    Palhinha
    Sanches
    Fernandes
    Jota or Andre Silva
    Ronaldo

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    For some reason thought that France was the next match. :notworthy:

Would love to see a Silva Swap, Bernardo just isn''t on form at the moment. Either him or forum-villain J.Felix coming in. Rafa did ok too, I guess.

Danilo-William pair wasn''t justified for Hungary, but for Germany and France I'd keep them.

8. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's been 21 years, or the last 4 matches. Losing 4 consecutive matches doesn't sound nearly as dramatic as saying 21 years, so let's go with 21 years for the added theatrics.

9. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    It would be nice to break this Germany curse. We finally beat France in 2016, maybe it's time Germany suffers a defeat against us. We certainly have the talent to play them head on. With that being said, i dont think FS will have the balls to play like that against Germany though. I expect us to sit back and defend. The gameplan Saturday will be to capitalize on the counter attack.

10. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Interesting how Rudiger is not getting banned for this. Imagine it was a Portuguese player who bit an opponent

NewLaw83 repped this.
  11. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Germany is weaker than in 2014, for sure, but stronger than in 2018. Also, Germany will be playing home, so that is a major factor. Playing against the hosting side has a proven record to be tricky e.g. Korea in 2002, Russia in 2018.
    Although Portugal's current squad is probably the best it's ever been, I have some concerns about how well this group of players can cope with Germany's physical type of play. Playing both Danilo and William Carvalho or Palhinha could make sense this time.

12. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I love Ranato but I would not start him against Germany. I would have him come in to the game in the second half when he is facing more tired opponents. We can not afford counter attacks against this German team. While they are not what they used to be, they continue to be a nation that scores well on their opportunities especially on set plays. I would not mind starting the game with the line up we had in our first game but with a short leash on Jota (if he is not on his game again. thats three strait games he has not done well for us) I would like to see in the second half ( if needed of course) Palhinha, Sanches and Pote

artielange84 repped this.
  13. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #13 prodigal_mind, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Im predicting this will be the lineup

semedo dias pepe guerreiro
    Danilo William Sanches
    Bernardo
    Ronaldo Bruno/jota

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think FS is going for a draw with the aim of winning it late into the game 1-0 if we can. There is no way we are going to risk losing our goal differential by attacking Germany and exposing ourselves. This is the type of game FS specializes in so if we get anything less than a draw, it will be very disappointing.

I think being in a group with France and Germany will prepare us very well for the knockout stages. Now that i think of it, i don't think i'd rather be in any other group.

[​IMG]

JoseEmidio repped this.
  15. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Renato is too inconsistent but can be an excellent sub at the right time in important games, Jota I also think Will start as he was in many dangerous situations (which he killed off) this time around he Will have less chances which he needs to exploit more. Pote is a unknown and should be used, coming off the bench, at the right time. Feel for A. Silva after the year he has had, but he Will probably keep on being a sub atleast for the next two games.

eurodad repped this.
  16. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Imo Germany are very beatable this time around, our boys as a collective are much better

a win over germany would be huge for us. imagine the confidence. a win over germany to me would mean we could go on to win the bastard all the way

Lets ********in go boys

JoseEmidio repped this.
  17. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm having an unsteady feeling about this match. It has that aura of Euro 2008 where Germany came into the match seemingly vulnerable and in transition, whereas Portugal were deemed possibly the favourites who could take advantadge of that. The Germans targeted our weaknesses (space behind the fullbacks with Petit because a slow D-mid, Pigman running vs Paulo Ferriera, and Ricardo in the air)...subsequently blitzing us in the first 30 minutes.

You know they're going to do everything in their power to exploit Nelson Semedo defensively after half of them witnessed Davies eviscerate him, plus try and run in the space Gurreiro leaves behind when he bombs up the field. Can 38 year old Pepe cover them? Danilo & William? Will they be able to insulate the fullbacks and disrupt Gundagan/Kimmich/Kroos?

I'm expecting the same line up or worse, Moutinho or Sanches in a midfield 3 with Bernardo or Jota benched. We have the offensive quality to go toe to toe with Germany and really press that unbalanced midfield ( look at the space they gave France) and that sluggish backline. We need to give them a threat to worry about and not allow them to come at us in waves...that's asking for so much trouble.

Ultimately, we all know Santos will play it very conservatively..the meme of 4 D-mids might actually occur:D

JoseEmidio repped this.
  18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Nuno Mendes and Joao Felix are both unavailable today w/ lingering muscle issues.

I was really hoping Nuno would see the pitch.

19. Bacalhau

Bacalhau Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Forca!

Attached Files:

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Same starting XI

Rui Patrício, Nélson Semedo, Pepe, Rúben Dias, Raphaël Guerreiro, Danilo, Wiliam Carvalho, Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Jota, Bernardo Silva, Cristiano Ronaldo.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No mendes or Felix (injured)

JoseEmidio repped this.
  22. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why the fk are tsn talking about Ronaldo vs Messi when there is a Germany Portugal game coming

23. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Gameplan: counter attack

24. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Our fans are amazing! Anthem was awesome Let’s go

25. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ird be great to see us get a really early goal.