Campbell to Chelsea..

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Lanesra, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    ..According to ITV's teletext service, chelsea will 'pinch' Sol. Arsene Wenger is quoted as saying " I bet you any money you want, Sol will be here next year, and the three after that, if I'm wrong you can sue me"

I wouldn't lose any sleep just yet.

2. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They printed this on the BBC sport rumours page also. Sounds like Sol's agent is playing hardball.

3. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Sol's a goooner wooah-oh
    Sol's a goooner wooah-oh

He aint going anywhere. No doubt in my mind what so ever.

4. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone know a good lawyer in London ;)

5. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    that would serve you right, thieving scum

and you would have no grounds for complaint

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I have said it before but I would not trust judas until the ink is dry on the contract. I was absolutely 100% sure he would stay at Spurs, and lost alot of money when he left.

7. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    comme, how cheeky are these Goonas ? Like they have any grounds for complaint of he left. Campbell is the biggest traitor ever in the history of London football. I really hope he screws you over

8. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    rambler, why hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel.. lol
    how gutted you will be when king becomes a gooner..

9. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Wasnt it down to the management fecking up and letting him waltz on a free when they coulda got pots of cash for him? Didnt he also leave spurs beacuse he wanted to win things?

By that logic I could see why Chelsea would be attractive, as I feel they are the english team most likely to win the Champions league THIS year at least.

If he goes he goes. It will be a tragedy for sure, but you know people didnt think we'd replace Adams defensive abilities and Campbell has done a sterling job. Wenger has an eye for cheap talent (actually so I but thats ANOTHER story), so Im sure if it comes to it we'll find someone else...

Lets all have a sing song eh

We saved Cambell
    We saved Cambell
    We saved Cambell - From the Lane
    He Joined Arsenal
    Won the Double
    We saved Cambell - From the Lane

10. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003

Saved him from what exactly ? The only thing you twats saved him from was a decent reputation. Now half of London thinks he's an odious Carnt. When he moves to chelski, the other half will fall in line :D

11. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Yeah but some of the half that hate him already are Blues, and so when he moves....jeesus you got me at it now.... IF he moves those same Blues will love him so it will still only be half.... "Us twats", and you fine gentlemen from the Lane

12. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Saved him from Sp*rs, enough said.

13. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Look around. You're the only whiny beotch in this thread.

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    Right, half of London are sp*rs fans. You really need to get over yourself and Arsenal.

15. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Funny as hell that rumour.

No way i could see him come to Chels - what with terry, Carvalho and Gallas already there.
    Huth - good lad, but lets be serious.

Whether or not Sol is better than any of those three isn't the question, the question would be how often would he play even if Mourinho deemed him a slight improvement over Carvalho and Gallas (he ain't better then terry - just older ;))

Nah, if he's going to do a runner, United would be a better bet.

Oh wait, that 'genius' of a manager spent all of next seasons transfer kitty already - on another striker..bwahahahahahaha

I'll be getting me coat now lads......

16. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe that SC23 won't join Chelsea as even he is aware of the "name tag" that would accompany him for the rest of his career. It's bad enough half of north London hating him without the other half joining in, particularly if he were to "cross the river". Abroad would be the sensible choice, although teaming up with his mate Rio could be a possibility. He'd be hated even more!! I think that he will stay. He will probably fight for more money, and with his family here, which I am sure with the death of his father will not want to be parted from the rest of them, will keep him safely at Highbury.

On another note, "CLANBLUE". It's good to see that sign of "100 years of Chelsea". 49 of them without winning the Championship. A round 50 after this season, as Arsenal retain the EPL !!

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    not so fast.

it really doesn't matter whether or not there's any room for campbell in chelsea's side, now, does it? the fact is, if roman's got money to burn (if? ha!), and he takes sol in january, he's just bought himself the prem.
    i'd love to say that spurs' four tallies on saturday are evidence of our brilliant attacking prowess; but i know all too well that more than a bit of it is down to the absence of mr. campbell. let's be frank - arsenal will get no silverware without him.

i've seen mr.s dein and wenger fend off enough bids for the likes of viera and henry to believe that roman's cash doesn't have enough clout to subdue arsenal's interests. full marks to them. the question now is: what are arsenal's interests? wenger damn well knows what the loss of campbell will mean to his side in the short term. but the spectre of 'mr. campbell's ways' is looming. you lot (arsenal) are about to be held at ransom. your front office has always said that they wouldn't pay sol the 'transfer fee + wages' for a second contract - that he'll have to take a wage cut. well, we'll see.

i've posted on the arsenal boards at least a dozen times, and i've never had a harsh word for your club. i hope that it is not perceived that i'm doing so now. i cannot, i'm afraid, say the same about this one particular arsenal player. it is with all due respect (and a degree of genuine sympathy, believe it or not) to your fine organization that i suggest that you may very well be about to reap what you have sown.

if i'm wrong, i will gladly return and congratulate you.

18. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Articulated as you have done....I don't think too many will view it as trolling.

FWIW, Rickbreese, our mod who attends nearly every home and away match, shares opinions very similar to yours on the subject.

19. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Absoloutly not mate. That was a spot on post. I really enjoyed reading it to be honest, and while I cant say as I agree with ALL of it, you make some good, well articulated points.

Plus youve managed to put your opinions across AS your opinions, rather thans as fact, which is actually rather hard to do :)

*cough* orange *cough*

*MUST RESIST URGE TO REP A SPURS FAN. GNAR - TOO LATE!"

20. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    A good reply.
    I don't really disagree with anything you've said.
    However, the move would have to be something that Sol himself wanted - for any 'supposed' transfer to infact happen.
    The point i was/am making, is that no matter if Abramovich did cough up the dough he was asking for, and even if Arsenal did accept, i just can't see Campbell trying to join a team that has 3 established, accomplished and on top of their game, center backs.

Yes, i can see him (possibly) leaving, but not to Chelsea.

21. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there is any way that Sol could leave in January, he is still under contract and their is no way that Arsenal would let him go. I can't see anyone trying to buy him when they could pick him up on a free in a few months anyway. As far as him holding us for ransom, well its business, his interest as a professional is to get the most lucrative contract he can. At the same time the club would naturally want to pay him as little as possible and still keep him. Its nothing personal and doesn't make him a villian, but it does tend to aggravate fans, who generally view their team more as a family than a business. IMO players that operate this way are just being logical, they know that the fans who cheer them on and the teams that pay them can turn on them in a second if they fail to live up to their expectations. If it was all about loyalty, no player would ever change clubs, and where would we be then, we'd probably be watching West Ham picking up trophies. Ugh!

22. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Indeed by the same logic Charlie George would stillbe playing, as per the 1926 FA ruling that if a player is still breathing. hes still on the squad.

"Oh and that was a tragic deflection of the crossbar, BUT WAIT is richoched of off one of the defender's zimmer frame - ITS IN!

23. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    if i had to guess one way or the other, i really don't see him leaving, either.

but neither do i envision him (or his agent) putting pen to the significantly reduced contract (that was supposedly 'understood') if - and this is a hugely significant 'if' - chelsea are about to offer him wages comparable to his current status.* the fact is that arsenal simply cannot afford to sit on their hands come january - they must get a signature, or move him. i think dein and wenger know that. so thier only option to that is another fat contract in which they, for all practical purposes, pay another transfer fee (in the form of inflated wages) to their own player.

if chelsea turn up the heat, another big payday at highbury is, in my opinion, the most likely scenario. but it's entirely possible that chelsea will not even threaten to spend what they'll need to (in wages and transfer fee - see below), in which case all could still turn out rosy for the arse.

as i said before, we shall see.

*this is a significant consideration, and one that really only applies to a club with money to burn like chelsea. because the buying club in this case would have to not only pay the inflated wages to match the current contract; but would have to pay a transfer fee, as well. this takes the deal well beyond campbell's natural market value. even though i think campbell is good enough to get a game (even in chelsea's already excellent defense), he's not likely to be worth it on his own merits. but the issue here is not strictly what he's worth on chelsea's squad, but also what he's worth not being on arsenal's - the only side, it's fair to say, between chelsea and the premiership title... ...which, the easier they win, the better their odds in the late stages of the champions' league... ...etc., etc...
    of course, it also possible that i'm being overly cynical about the methods of mr. abramovich.

24. Birdkamp

Birdkamp New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Calgary
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Conspiracy Theory: Roman funnells some money to another club secretly, so they could afford a Sol Campbell fee. Thus taking him away from Arsenal, without Chelsea having to acquire him and have him ride the pine. Opening the chance for Chelsea to win the Premier League.

Although my theory would never happen, Roman has already bought a player just to disable another team. Look at Scott Parker off Charlton, Chelsea certainly didn't need him, and to this day he hardly plays. Charlton as you know were very close to the 4th and final CL spot, for a long time, that is until Parker left to Chelsea, then Charlton fell apart. It would seem to me that was an example of just disabling Charlton and helping Chelsea in that way rather than the player himself.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

....back and to the left....back and to the left.....back and to the left.

;)