Calling all Investors...

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Looper121, Aug 9, 2004.

1. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be ok, except that with the reference to ancient greek soldiers, they would look more like the usc trojans; a soldier on a horse, in armor, etc.

2. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Uh. First of all, that'd be ripping off Boston College and the Redskins as well, which last I checked are not so well liked around here, and I'm a Redskins fan, so I can fully attest to that. Second of all, I think you have to go with some combination of green and blue because that gets to (at least to some degree IMHO) the Scottish/Irish population around here, and that's pretty big as far as selling tickets and making a supporters' club.

3. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Is there any decision that can be made in this league without people finding some new way to pander to niche groups?

4. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Nope. Sorry.

:rolleyes:

5. DaMunk

DaMunk Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Philadelphia/STX
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    US Virgin Islands
    Uh, or, if it is a proper cimson and gold, it would tie into the rich history of Philadelphia's Central High School, second oldest public high school east of the Mississippi. And while we are pandering, what supporters' group can claim to add 600-700 new members every September?

Besides, it worked for Myles Tannebaum, a CHS grad, and the Philadelphia Stars. ;)

6. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crimson and gold? aren't those havahhhhhd colors? also the colors of the soviet flag? some think that those 2 institutions having the same colors is no accident, and I would hate to have our soccer team in that league.

7. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to see some team in MLS be bold and do something outrageous like using Norwich's color scheme. I love it because it stands out and is so different. It can be tough to look at though. :)

8. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American soccer fans are a niche group. So no.

9. dcajedi

dcajedi Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Haaaaavaaaaahhhhd is crimson and white with a black H on the helmet. Not that I care at all about them.

And your "baum" is only one tree, whereas "wald" refers to a forest of them. I don't know any more German but I do know that. :)

10. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Niche group my ass.

There is no more diverse group of sports fans in the country.

11. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    It doesn't matter that the fans are diverse-- it's a niche group because it's a specialized area of demand in the broader sports team industry that hasn't yet reached the mass market-- well, except with latinos, for example.

12. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    Which totally ignore my prvious question buy hey.

If MLS sees the future as marketing to a niche within a niche ....

eh.

13. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    No, it actually almost directly answers your question. The answer to "Is there any decision that can be made in this league without people finding some new way to pander to niche groups?" is "no".

The niche within a niche might actually be the most mainstream part of the niche. Isn't it ironic?

14. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I saw the st johns-maryland match on n8 last friday, and the stadium was packed....

nice attacking match with a great deal of skill...

so what's the niche.....

it's the sub 30 crowd, where they'res a far larger cultural acceptance to the game than ever previously.....

there are far MORE skilled players being developed and the potential intererest into the future is what mls thrives upon....

it's all about getting those in their formative years hooked...

and my observations have the soccer interested at the highest in my lifetime...

and it'll only get bigger..

15. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer a purple and teal combination...since ya know, the name will be the Phalanx, or whatever.

16. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went by the Sports Complex today, I think a SSS is going in...