Calling all Baltimore-Area Fans

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by kinstlinger, Apr 14, 2006.

1. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    I figure with less than 60 days to go, it's time to send a beacon to other Charm City fans, to gather thoughts about locations where we can watch the US (and other) games.
    Even with the proliferation of Plasma and HD TVs, there's no substitute for like-minded fans in a packed bar.

Here are some possibilities:
    Slainte
    James Joyce

.. I know there are other locations which might be showing games, but not sure exactly.

I'd think Little Italy would be a great place to take in some Azurri games

I was also thinking that we might have a happy hour prior to the first time, where we can wear our kits, drink some suds, and celebrate the quadrennial event even more.

Feel free to PM me if you have any ideas.

2. Remember1950

Remember1950 New Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Sonora

I'd be all with you if I lived in Baltimore. I'm trying to get something like this together in the bay area.

3. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Amen, Brother.

4. soccersmyth

soccersmyth New Member

Dec 6, 2005
    hey, wherever it is that you decide to get together to watch games- is it likely they will not be over 21 only? especially the usa games? pleeeeez

5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well my take is Slainte is the new footy pub for B'more as they have solid turnout for Prem matches at 10-11am Sat & Sun with match sound blaring;
    Claddagh's used to be the go-to place for Prem but they do not have the package this year- they may be up for WC though, and it is a good place to catch a match. James Joyce is out for me, every time I have tried there I have found it too corporate/restauranty, probably not up for footy crowd at 10am on a Thursday, no big screens and you would have to twist arms to get sound.

So those are some considerations in my mind, who will be open, what is their track record for footy crowds, tv setup, sound etc. Remember, we need a Tues at Noon, a Thurday at 10am and a Sat focused on an unfortunately still obscure sport by US bar standards.

It will be interesting to see what ESPN Zone does given the Co. coverage. They have some nice HD setups there and you would be ok from an under 21 perspective.

I would love to be there sweatin it out with fellow yanks as these will be nailbitters for sure. But I must say it is going to be tough to drag me away from my HD TV as I am salivating at seeing US matches that way for the first time. But then again there is always the DVR replay so I will be staying tuned to see what everyone comes up with.

6. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Well, you can certainly BE at those places if you're under 21.
    Whether or not they serve you is another question.

Slainte or ESPN Zone sound good. I just hope there's someplace with alot of open space.

7. chrassty

chrassty New Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Baltimore
    I watched some of the games of the 2002 World Cup at the ESPN Zone. However, I think I was the only US fan there and it wasn't exactly crowded. Where is Slainte? I am going to be in Gemany for the first round but would love to meet up with people in Baltimore to watch the games in the 2nd round. Hopefully the US will make it to the 2nd round.

8. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    I was looking forward to this thread... Barring any winnings of numerous World Cup trips I have entered, I expect to be in Charm City for the Fussball-Weltmeisterschaft.

First off, I would like to note that Sportstalk 1570 - WNST will most likely host viewing parties at a local establishment - probably a sponsor of theirs. I say this because the guy who runs the station, Nasty Nestor, is a big soccer fan and supporter of USNT. He hosted a few viewing parties for WC 2002 and did one at Manhattan Grill in Perry Hall for a WC qualifier last summer I believe. Tune into 1570AM in Baltimore for updates regarding this - even a morning show host on the station was a former GM of the local Baltimore Blast soccer club.

Secondly, I don't know if anyone here was at the HUGE viewing party for US v Germany in WC 2002 at the Coliseum in Cockeysville. The place was jammed pack with about 500 fans at 6.45am - the MIX 106.5 morning show broadcasted from there - those guys Kenny and Jojo (?) are soccer fans so they'll probably do something similar this summer. The bad thing is that the Coliseum no longer exists, however there are other places in the area and now we can watch in HD.. It would be good to get that atmosphere and crowd like the one at the Coliseum that morning in the summer of '02.

So, bottom line - we have still media types that will utilize sponsors to host events for viewing in Baltimore and increase the buzz over the airwaves. I think we could get something big with some calls or e-mails. Regardless, Baltimore was all in all very supportive of the US in WC 2002. There were numerous bars pubs and coffee shops that opened early to watch the games.
    This time around it is imperative we find a place that has huge Hi-Def TV's...

The fun has begun.. now if I can win a trip to Deutschland...

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Where is Slainte?"

It is about 2 or 3 doors east of the corner of Thames St. & Broadway in Fells Point; used to be Hi Tops I think. Not much open space would be the downside, one big screen behind the bar, another small one on a side wall; my guess is we get about 25-30 people for the bigger Prem matches. Very footy friendly though.

10. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    Good heads-up on 1570.

I emailed Nestor a few mos. back, and he mentioned he'll be devoting some on-air time to the Cup.

I thought about calling their morning show and asking what they thought the ripple effect of Spector's injury would be, as a joke. I figure being the first USMNT related call on a local sports show would be a funny thing.

Without doubt, the Sun will run some articles about where people can catch the games, especially with the Little Italy contingent in the city, and the US playing the Azurri.

One of their columnists, John Eisenberg, is a noted soccer fan.

It's too bad the Coliseum shut down; it was a good location, but there will be others.

11. baker8

baker8 New Member

Jan 19, 2006

Slainte has great atmosphere (with the bonus of excellent food and bloody marys). I think you're underestimating TV space. There's 3 or 4 downstairs (one faces the seating area in back of the bar), plus at least 3 or 4 in an upstairs dining room, plus a big screen and probably more in the upstairs bar area. Arsenal-Man U was comfortably packed with the match at full volume. My pick for the downside is parking in Fells Point -- I've never had much trouble finding a free space in the neighborhood, but you'll need to move the car every 2 hours if you plan extended viewing or make other arrangements (garage, drop-off, walking).

12. kinstlinger

kinstlinger Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Baltimore
    I'm sure that WNST will set something up, just b/c they're the only local media outlet that will give more than lip service to the whole thing.

No doubt we'll learn in early June where the best places to go will be.

13. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    I went to the ESPNZone to watch the Brazil-Germany World Cup Final at 7am in the morning in 2002, and they had a great turn out. Lots of people dressed in their Brazil and Germeny uni's. It was loud and everyone was having a good time. Plenty of big screen tv's too.

Just a heads up for people who have never been.....is that it is not cheap.

WNST did have good coverage during the 2002 Cup, but I think that was b/c Nestor was hosting the afternoon program. Rob Long and the other hosts probably couldn't tell you who Ronaldinho is. The only way I see it getting any real coverage is if Nestor guest hosts a special World Cup afternoon segment once in awhile.