Call of Duty 4

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by NORML, Nov 7, 2007.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody else pick it up yesterday and got to once again enjoy Call of Duty done right, with Infinity Ward making the game?

I only played the multiplayer last night and had a blast. The maps are beautifully laid out and offer some great fire fights. If you had a chance to play the Beta I'd say a good chunks of the maps are as big as Overgrown but full of nooks and crannies like Crash. But unlike Crash where you could quickly get to the main focal point (the downed helicopter) you may have to enter one or two small fire fights before ever getting there.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to get into the campaign mode tonight.

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it yesterday (at circuit city, I also got COD 3 for free -- sweet! I just finished COD 2 so that was nice) but I haven't had a chance to play it.
    It's really excited to try it. glad you're enjoying it.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Next week my friends. I cannot by it until then or I will never get my assignments done. Done be bastards and level up too quickly. :)

4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oopprraahh.........................................................

I picked up the Collector's Edition yesterday, came with some cool stuff.

I played campaign and multi-player, just enough so I could customize my classes. I'll definitely be playing a bit in the coming week.

It sucks that this is out now and Assassin's Creed is next week.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Is this one getting a PC release? I thought it sucked they didn't release COD III to PC.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That is a shocking poor post. Confusing 'by' with 'buy' and 'done' with 'don't'. I wasn't even drunk or tired. English is my first language... :confused: :(

7. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

shouldn't it be "shockingly" poor post?

---
    I haven't gotten COD4, and actually haven't played COD3 even... I borrowed COD2 from someone 8 months ago and have found ways of avoiding it... shame on me, i should at least return it...

with Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect upcoming in the next 3 weeks, and my history of COD titles, COD4 has no hope of any front burner action for me...

(plus i am refinishing my hardwood floors, so my free time seems very limited right now)

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm not having a good couple of days. The presentation I just did followed the same general trend as my posts here. :eek:

While there are lots of great games coming out COD4 is definitely one that I will buy purely for the multiplayer. The beta was superb and the most 360 fun I have had in a while. More single player oriented games are on the backburner for now. I haven't even got around to Bioshock yet.

*leaves before another error is spotted*

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played a bit of the single player last night.
    Very fun ... it had a call of duty vibe too it, but was definitely a game unto itself.
    you start as part of a unit and you work as a team. you can tell the guns are modern, they handle and shoot so much better than their WWII counterparts. the sniper rifle is a definite improvement. you can shoot through walls, which is nice. hiding behind a thin wall or box won't save you this time. if a car is burning you better keep that in mind because cars that burn explode.
    I only played for an hour or so but I had a good time with this one. the graphics are outstanding, the game play is smooth ... so far so good.

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, it's visually it's a great game. Great gameplay too. Playing it on Veteran is a bitch though, really tough.

11. TLee

TLee New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Racine, WI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played the beta, so none of this was a shock to me...the hit boxes are off, which they have been since the original COD on the PC. It is the same for everyone, so no advantage gained there. Same with the lack of recoil on weapons, especially the scoped sniper weapons. Shooting is waaaaayyyy too easy.

Having said that, it is still a fun multiplayer game.

12. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave up on trying to play on Veteran on the third board(first one as a Marine). I couldn't get past the room with all the TVs in them.

I really do love that the FNG board's scores are kept and you can compare them with friends. Not to mention for the first time ever in my gaming life I broke the top 1000 on the World leader board. Of course I'm now back in the 1300 range but for one day this past weekend I was hot to trot. :D

Hopefully in the coming week or two we can get a group of us into an online match.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Online match sounds like fun to me... I'm only at Lvl 10 though since I've been focusing on the campaign side.

I'm about 85% of the way through the game now, played entirely on the Veteran setting. It's a bitch but it just makes it that much more fun.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i beat it on easy -- you guys sound much better than me. plus, I usually play through it once at an easier setting and then go back and ramp up the difficulty. but it may be a bit 'til I get back to it ... there are so many great games out right now.
    but if you want an easy mark for an online match, I'll be that guy. ;)

15. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Veteran is just insanely hard. I had to do the TV station bit about 20 times before I managed it. Still it looks so cool, I love all the set pieces that CoD does

16. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picked this up last night when I went out and replaced the controller my dog chewed up. Haven't opened it up yet, since I'm trying to beat Assassin's Creed before the rental period is up.

17. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a fun game, even if I keep getting my clock cleaned in the TV station. Any tips? Should I hang back until the waves stop coming, or aggressively push forward? This is my first ever COD, so I'm not real familiar with the kind of gameplay necessary. Anyway, it's frenetic. I appear to have unlimited ammunition... at least for my firearms. How many weapon slots do I have?

I need to get Live Gold.

18. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    On veteran they never stop coming so you need to push forward. The first thing I do is take out the guys on the upper balcony with the RPG's. Then I push down the left side taking cover in the small rooms along the side till I get to the bottom wall. Then it's all my grenades over the top to the double doors where they come from and spray and pray.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    spray and pray. nice.

and there's not unlimited ammo. you find some on the floors and stuff. but I've had to dump my gun and pick up a different one before because I was out of ammo.

20. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just beat the single player. There are some challenging moments on "regular" difficultly (specifically missions involving beating the clock).

I see what you guys mean about running out of ammo. Luckily, there are guns scattered everywhere, so it's easy to find a replacement when you run dry. The P90 is a nice little gun with almost no kickback.

Now I need to get Live Gold so I can play online. The game is fun, tho I imagine real opponents are tougher than the AI.

21. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best game of 2007 for PC...It is just amazing!

22. Guerrero9

Guerrero9 New Member

Nov 11, 2004
    Palacio de Gobierno
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i'll drink to dat. i dont usually go for 1st person war games but i havent been able to put this down... the graphics, audio and gameplay are just second to none.

23. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I've only played this online for the PS3, and it's incredibly addictive. Thank god I don't own a PS3.

24. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also will add that the game has amazing multiplayer, and it is really well made no freaking bugs like other games...*cough* EA...

25. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    Just picked it up for the PS3,heard rave reviews about the game and its online play. Cant wait to give it a go.