Call Musa and Balogun for the Wales friendly .... then complain when England caps them

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ghost, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    This is a bit of a weird thread, but I think this is a long term chess move that the USMNT should do. England seems to be using its to give out freebie caps in Nations League to cap-tie dual-national players who only have minor chances in the long run. They're using 11-minute performances against Iceland mainly to make sure certain dual national players never play for another team.

Jamaica has been the main victim, with four players getting zapped (Maitland-Niles, Reece James, Kalvin Phillips, Mason Greenwood). This happened immediately after media reports started appearing saying that they might play for Jamaica. After that, they were called in to meetings with Gareth Southgate, and suddenly they were good enough to play for England.

The USMNT is the big dog in CONCACAF. And part of being the big dog is looking out for the small dogs. as well as ourselves. So I think we should call up the two previously uncapped USMNT eligibles also eligible for England (Balogun is an Arsenal youth star; Musa is a teenage starter for Valencia in Spain). And by all means, encourage those players to talk about it publicly and use it as leverage to get England National Team appearances. Then we should file FIFA complaints against England for pernicious capping.

Neither player is likely to play for the USMNT as things stand now. Balogun certainly could be down the road. It seems unlikely Musa ever will. So we probably wouldn't lose much.

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm laughing at the idea that Jamaica was victimized because Mason Greenwood chose to play for England.

Why?

sXeWesley and roverman repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they are only making late substitute appearances, why have 3 of them got multiple caps?

Also, Wales isn't a competitive match so the players could still switch.

4. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Musa started and scored a banger today for Valencia.

5. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I’m sure FIFA have better things to do, than investigate a national team, for calling up four individuals for the country they were born and raised in.

eliwood, superdave, ChicagoVT and 2 others repped this.
  6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #6 Paul Berry, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Balogun and Musa were both born in New York City and raised in Europe.

Ah, you meant the Anglo/Jamaicans.

The Commonwealth has always been a source for England players. For example, John Barnes, Owen Hargreaves and Craig Johnston.

7. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    *Musah. Yes I know that, I was referring the the four players that the OP mentioned in the 2nd paragraph.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Paul Berry, Nov 1, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Yeah I got that after I posted.

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    How many of those guys would make an England world cup roster today? I'm under the impression that most of them 4th to 6th choice and that England are basically using cap-tying games like the USMNT January camp.

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    And I would say it's very much in FIFA's purview whether or not England and similar powers are going to use the new Nations League caps to screw over smaller countries. The FIFA rules over the past 20 years have been changed repeatedly to allow the smaller countries a better shot at better players through less stringent cap-tying rules.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Also, there's a report out there that Musa and Berhalter are talking. So Musa should be cap-tied in a Nations League game against the Faroe Islands within the next few months.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not the way the Nations League works. England are in a group with Belgium, Denmark and Iceland. They're in 3rd place and under pressure to win.

The Faroes are in a group with Malta, Latvia and Andorra.

TopBanana10, superdave and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghost repped this.
  14. hoys

hoys Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I initially laughed at this thread... but Musah’s on the roster. Wild. I respect the boldness, op!

largegarlic repped this.
  15. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

what type of player is he? Pro comparison?

16. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

russ repped this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Meeting with Southgate? 2:45 p.m. Thursday.

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Weird thread no longer @Ghost !

Ghost repped this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Maybe if they were choosing their lineups based on merit instead of geography and heritage, they'd be in first place and not under so much pressure.

In fairness, from reading over the England forum, it sounds like Reece James got a cap in a friendly and not Nations League. And that's totally cool. That's the way it should be done.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the point. He's been playing above his age group for England since he was 17 and is starting for Chelsea.

ChicagoVT repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #21 Marcho Gamgee, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    They are choosing based on merit and what they need, not sure Southgate needs to explain why he’s picking players of Dual Nationality ( born & raised in England ) to anyone since about 90% of England players are probably Dual qualified one way or another such is the Cosmopolitan landscape we live in so saying they pick on Geography is very strange and if you believe that then you don’t know Southgate very well.
    During these latest International windows, there are also three games so you need bigger squads and all those players are English born, (or) raised, educated etc, so I’m not quite sure why you think England has some sort of obligation towards other Nations as it’s not there responsibility to train and develop players for other Countries!

roverman, deejay and Crawleybus repped this.
  22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Who isn't being picked on merit?

23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure Reece James was picked on merit. Just look at his progression.

roverman and russ repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    England's only obligation is to themselves.

The Musah callup to the US is interesting. He has virtually no connection to the United States. He was born in the US because his mother was in New York on a holiday when she gave birth. Why was she on holiday in New York when she was that pregnant? Who knows? None of my business.

Obviously this isnt' a cap-tying situation. Musah is just checking us out to see what the fit will be like. One thing we can say about the US right now; they have a young and dynamic team. The young talent is coming in waves now. It probably looks like an intriguing situation for a youngster. He's probably look at being in an attacking line with Pulisic on the left and Reyna in the center. Behind him McKennie of Juventus and Adams of Leipzig. Behind him at right back is Dest of Barcelona. The right center back is Chris Richards of Bayern Munich. We can go all around the field like that. These are youngsters PLAYING and excelling at the biggest clubs in the world.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #25 Marcho Gamgee, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Yeah, I’ve really got no issue if Musah wants to try out the US camp and see how it goes, I mean his connections to us ( England ) aren’t really that strong anyway so good luck to him even though off course you never want to lose anyone from your player pool but it’s understandable especially since there’s a bottle neck developing within the England set up so good luck to him. Also agree about where you guys are going, things are looking up for the USA National team going forward with some really good players and also good luck to you :)

My real issue is with the op of this thread that seems to have beef with England calling up and capping their own players which is frankly bizarre but that’s with him and his probable personal dislike for England in general clouding his judgment.

randomnoise, sXeWesley, deejay and 2 others repped this.