Call Jim Smith

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by suspenders1964, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something your father should have done.

1) I used to be of the same mind on this, but I've come around a little. First of all, Smith is NOT the "GM". Massah Lamar promoted him to "President" along with a fat new contract. It must carry SOME weight. Now he still ain't Clark, but he's not the paperboy either.

Secondly, it's like any other business with "Branch offices". There's no question that "Corporate" is in charge but any organization gives substantial weight to the guy running the show for you. He's right there every day. Indeed, if you DON'T give the guy some juice regarding decisions like this, you're a fool.

2) Of course Clark and Wagner have the last word. But as Smith said, he talks to CH "several times a day". I'm betting golf scores, the weather and dirty jokes only go so far. Eventually they end up talking Crew.

And I'm betting that, if Smith is adamant enough about something, it gets a serious hearing.

3) As for why they're keeping Greg, it's a tough call.

The only hints are the "unlike Andrulis, the players still respect him" line, which carries no water with me.

They also seem to hark back to the US Open Cup thing. They apparently feel that proves something or other.

There's also the "nine straight wins when we hired him" deal, whcih is pretty thin. Fitz went 9 - 1 when they canned Timo. Very typical player response, which, if anything, was a good reason to have dumped him a month ago.

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Toon...get yer reading glasses on...he said Saviour of the crewzers, SuckerSandy5

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I should be the saviour of the Crewzers, instead of Camp Jim it'd be Camp Zak, I'd work them like they were in a Taiwanese sweatshop making world famous Crew jerseys.

4. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Maybe the Hunts have their attention focused on their unbeaten Chiefs. Maybe after the Browns upset them in the next game, they'll remember the Crew and clean house.

One can only hope...

5. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    nah butch davis is too worried about his job. the browns will lose b/c of indecisive substitutions and world class field goals.

6. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    not to mention national team call ups

7. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    don't forget about all the injuries...

8. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Sounds like a GREAT B movie. "Sweat shop Crewzers". I presume there would be lot's of torn clothing, hair tossing, cat fights, and excursions to the "penalty" box?

Could this be the sequel to "Nazi Surfers must DIE"?

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Do they really have the last word? I have no idea how a coach's contract works but I would guess that the league is in charge of that as well to a point.

So does the smallest market get the highest rated coach?