California Victory vs Montreal, August 16th

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by Californiaspurs, Aug 7, 2007.

1. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just got back from the game. a tough result but here is looking forward to Saturday and the game. Should be a better crowd and hopefully a positive result!

2. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Looks like Pieterman was in the control booth again.

But no Delle Alpi :confused:. Under house arrest during Victory games these days? Only kidding.

Down to the real hard core supporters now--maybe 150.

Still, very mild, clear conditions, the perfect evening for futbol, but not surprisingly the Victory were no match for one of the most organized clubs in USL both on and off the pitch, so Montreal trotted out 0:2 winners. :(

Most likely I'll be back on Saturday for those trying to avoid me.

Thanks for the Tequila shots, guys--they really help to soften the blow of watching the depleted Victory struggle valiantly but somewhat hopelessly to get any kind of positive result.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pieterman's Blue and White Army!

[​IMG]

3. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could have been there but I had a family matter to attend to last night. Bruiser and Brendan kept me up to speed via text so I heard all about it in real time. I will see you all Saturday hope the weather stays nice.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did the crowd look last night?

5. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what Sully told me it was small. Oh and Piterman was there again.

6. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    To everyone who missed the game: you missed a rare chance to see a drunk Irish guy swearing at Canadians IN RUSSIAN!

That's the real MULTICULTURALISM!

7. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek: I always miss the good stuff

8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only in San Francisco could such things happen. I may loathe the city with a passion. But a the same time, I'm glad you crazies are there. San Francisco alone helps balance out the majority of the south.

9. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like living in San Jose is a sane choice?

10. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    Well, I'm glad our psychopathic tendencies can entertain you San Jo boys. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in San Jose. But you mentioned that you "loathe" San Francisco???

Wow, that certainly explains alot. I can see how every opportunity this board gives you, you feel it necessary to crap on one of the only two soccer teams the city has while its still in its infancy.

True, San Francisco isn't nearly the cultural hub that San Jose is. Afterall with their Tech Museum, Winchester Mystery House, and 7-block lightrail system, I guess San Jose is clearly superior.

I know right now there is a family in London where a little boy right now is saying "Oh Father, how I want to go to San Jose and ride the mighty lightrail system and visit the Tech Museum's homage to Video Arcade Games of the 80s."

And to think with all that to offer, so many people still see San Jose as a cow town or a suburban refuge for folks who are too scared to live near the big bad city. The injustice of it all. Need a tissue?

Because to be honest, YOU have been feeding into this SJ vs SF sentiment. Personally, I don't care where the hell you from. No one city is superior to the other, but that doesn't mean you cannot have pride of where you are from.

The 1906 has members from all overthe Bay, from Richmond to Monterey Bay and including SJ. Our attitude was ALWAYS to support soccer ALL OVER the Bay, with the Vics as our base team. We are already in the works of planning trips to Stockton to see the California Cougars, can't wait to see both the Seals and Frogs again next summer, and have even been in contact with the front office of the San Jose Earthquakes. Does any of that mean we love the Vics any less???

Hell no! And that is why we are not ready for it to go off into the night.

What did you do when the Quakes booked for Houston? Probably not a goddamn thing.

11. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    Oh, why am I even bothering...you're probably just a ref at some crap local league.

12. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, where did this come from? I haven't dumped any crap on the Vics. Infact I'm stoked there is an actual effort underway to save them now and have been pushing for them to save themselves with some simple marketing for some time now. And the games I've gone to have been very fun. Just because I'm not a fan of the city doesn't mean I don't like the team. They don't go hand in hand you know.

So take your holier than thou attitude and shove it pal.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't know. Never lived there.

14. SSF Soccer

SSF Soccer Member

May 2, 2007
    South San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, it would be nice to take all this pent up frustration and energy, and use it to rally behind the team and the effort to keep going. Everyone has good points to make, and of course there is always going to be sarcastic remarks....but when soccer (futbol for those inclined) takes a back seat to everything else around here..wouldn't be better to channel our energy as ONE, and help keep soccer alive no matter if its the Vics, Quakes, Seals or Frogs...because as I see it, we all need each other, and it doesn't matter what your name is, where your from, or where you live...it's all about the game, and our passion for it. Lets keep that our priority.

15. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't we all just get along :D.

16. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Athletics68:

What matches have you actually been to, out of curiosity?

With only a couple of home fixtures left, why don't you introduce yourself to the regulars? There's some I'm sure would like to see the face behind the gazillion words.

I know going to the City to see to see the Victory would probably take out four hours of your valuable posting time during which you could have fired off hundreds of messages, such as "what was the game like" and your insightful opinions of San Francisco, but hey, think of it this way, you're giving readers of the Victory and SJ boards a little vacation. Right?

And then you'll have more to post about. Er, wait.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

17. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this whole SJ versus SF thing is getting out of hand. Obviously there are some folks who don't like the city for whatever reason. Then there are people like me who think the the entire south bay is a giant wasted sprawl thats not worth driving to for any reason (except Quakes games) so we just have agree to disagree. When it comes to soccer we have so few teams that we are united in our support. Lew Wolff has the rights to all of northern California so as far as MLS goes we have one team for all of us. Would I personally want to live in the south bay, not even if the house was given to me. But I will drive there to watch our team play. Unfortunately the support only seems to go one way as far as some are concerned, but thats OK with me, your loss. As for Althletic68 you come to one of the last two games and the first pint is on me and we can argue about where OUR Quakes should play and who OUR coach should be. Because as far as soccer is concerned like it or not we are in it together.

18. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    There is something to this SF vs. SJ thing. My beef isn't just with SJ fans but Bay Area soccer fans in general who just can't be bothered to go into the City to see live soccer. They bitch and whine about Euro Snobs who won't go see the Quakes, they bitch and whine when the Quakes leave town, but can the be bothered to support the Vics, Seals or even the Frogs? FU, MLS snobs! SF is the greatest City West of the Jersey Turnpike and if you don't like it, go back to hiding in the suburbs and eating at Olive Garden, and counting the days 'till you get to see Beckham in SJ.

19. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is something to be said about the MLS snobs I agree, they will only watch MLS and anything below it is so inferior they can't be bothered. But this is a very American attitude which is a shame because there are some great players out there not in the MLS. I think it would be rather funny if the San Jose city council f#cks up the stadium deal and the Quakes are forced to play elsewhere, then we would find out if they are even really Quakes fans or just South bay snobs.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed that no one should be so uptight as to go somewhere to see a soccer game. I've made the trek into the city for 2 games this season and been rewarded both times with good games, not victories mind you, but good games none the less. People need to stop equating the city with the team. They're not the same thing. I'm just not a fan of cities in general. SF isn't alone, I'm not a big city concrete jungle person. But I do like soccer, and I do like big patches of grass that's it's played on.

Californiaspurs to answer your smart ass post, I've been to the June 9 and July 7 games. But to be honest if I go to any of the remaining games you can bet I have extreme reservations about introducing myself to anyone after the reaction I've gotten on this board. It's hard enough to talk to strange folks, without them being jerks as well. Sadly my last chance will be the Sept game as I'm in Vegas this weekend, unless of course the Vics get another season. Which would be sweet.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering the Quakes and the south bay go hand in hand it would be unlikely that the "Quakes" would leave SJ even if the myriad of stadium plans Wolff has for the south bay fall through. Afterall if I remember correctly MLS saved the Quakes stats for San Jose, not another city.

22. Delle Alpi

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude be serious please , its OK to proud of where you live and I for one have taken this as pretty much a joke from the beginning but when you cross the line to stupidity I must say so. If you think for one minute that Wolff has some misguided loyalty to you beloved suburb you are crazy. The man is in this to make money, if the city of Snobs Jose and the rest of the south bay don't give him a stadium he will take his ball and go home. MLS saved the rights of the Quakes because it was the right thing to do as we all got screwed over. Again I will say Mr. Wolff has the rights to Northern California up to and including Sacramento and if the right deal came from them then they will be the Sacramento Quakes. He is in a period of exclusive negotiations with San Jose, this does not mean that if the south bay drops the ball he won't look elsewhere. I am starting to wish that he was only given the south bay rights to MLS so we could have a second team without all this south bay bullshit that has been going on with you guys. Please get over it cause you will be the one looking stupid if the city council screws this up and remember they are politicians so screwing things up is what they are best at. The south bay is the poster child for sprawl and obviously thats what you like but stop disrespecting where some of us live cause its starting to get old. Without SF Santa Clara county would still be orchards if even that. I for one have had enough if this third grade pissing match but please stop being delusional.

23. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Not going to happen!
    Stanford, probably. Oakland Colliseum, possibly. But NOT SJ :D