California Victory Fan's Player of the Year

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by Loop Revil, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Hey folks.

This is the official thread to vote on your Vic of the year. We all know it's been a tough season on and off the field, but as true soccer heads you have to admit this season's been a lot of fun with plenty of brilliant soccer played right here in San Francisco.

So, it's time to select the fan's fave. Though it's doubtful we can provide the top Vic with a Mercedes, the fan's choice is always a special honor.

So have at it.

(You can also vote by sending an email with your selection to mediainfo@californiavictorysoccer.com if you'd rather not register)

2. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cast my vote for Eric Reed. That brother has singlehandedly kept us in a half dozen games this year. Here's hoping an MLS team is smart enough to pick him up after the season.

3. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    Just a reminder that a couple fans have been voting through email, and those votes are not reflected in this poll.

4. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude looking at the pool it looks like someone is trying to win it for munoz. no disrespect for the guy but you cant compare what they have contributed this season. Its reed in a landslide

5. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no contest without Reed the Vics could have lost games by 5 goals. Eric Reed is by far the Vics MVP.

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Reverend Reed reminds me of another goalkeeper who literally kept his team in the games back in the day--Joe Cannon.

He keeps going, as per, he's got to warrant a look in MLS. A lot of past USL-1/A League keepers have made the transition to the top flight--wouldn't be surprised if Reed is next--think Burpo, Onstad, and the aforementioned Cannon.

7. socceroo949

socceroo949 New Member

Jun 19, 2007

I think the Galaxy would love to replace Cannon with Reed...Cannon looks past his prime.

8. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now I know this poll is a joke. Now Hugo in the lead? He's a good player but please!

9. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree someone did some shenanigans on this thread, I like Hugo but Reed is MVP.

10. doktordan

doktordan New Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    It's fan favorite, not MVP, so I chose Chuck Kim. Mostly because I'm pretty sure he had a mullet at one point.

11. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    "Player of the Year" is more akin to MVP than Fan Favorite. It connotes the importance of performance via "of the year." It's not as if your favorite player should change with the calendar.

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, this thread has been linked from the team's website so the results are a bit skewed. All people, registered or guests, can vote so in a real-time setting it would have been given to Eric Reed but oh well--fan balloting has always yielded some unusual results. Let the people speak eh?

13. West Coaster

West Coaster New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    So Cal
    If he was still around, I would have voted for Luis Aguilar.

14. ALLLGooD

ALLLGooD New Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    This was a tough one for me. The Enforcer definitely takes it for his contributions of saving the team from many big losses.

But for hustle, passion, and spirit it would have to go to either Hugo or Chuckie.

15. 4redcards

4redcards New Member

May 2, 2007
    southern california
    My choice, if he were still there...would be Cameron Dunn!

16. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
    ERIC REED NAMED FANS' MVP; VAN STRAATUM HONORS ENTIRE TEAM.
    [​IMG]September 12, 2007

California Victory goalkeeper Eric Reed was this week named the fan’s MVP, following an online poll and email voting.

Reed, a UCLA graduate in his rookie year as a professional, was stunning in goal all season. He recorded 87 saves in 23 games, posting five shutouts.

Here is what some of the Victory fans had to say:

"I am impressed with the character of this young man, and the way that he practices team spirit."

"That brother single-handedly kept us in a half dozen games this year."

"The ’Reverend’ Reed has got to warrant a look in MLS. A lot of past USL-1 ’keepers have made the transition to the top flight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Reed is next."

Other players with honorable fan mentions were Yuri Morales, who led the team in goals, assists and minutes played, Chris Schwarze, the team captain, Hugo Casillas and Chuck Kim for, as one fan noted, "hustle, passion and spirit."

But Head coach Glenn Van Straatum was quick to heap praise on the whole team, who fought hard under at-times difficult circumstances.

"The players were the core of the excitement on and off the field," Van Straatum said. "From Eric Reed, the fans’ MVP, to Chris Schwarze, our leader on the field through thick and thin, and Jose Retiz, who tirelessly battled every game. Yuri Morales shared front-line and front-office roles, while Mike Munoz and Kiel McClung started great, but were injured for a long time and recovered to end the season well."

He continued, "Chuck Kim was fantastic and another 1906 favorite, Ricardo Sanchez and Omar Aguoayo, our Chivas Guadelajara pair, gave some incredible combinations on the left side of the field. Hugo Casillas showed his versatility as a player by contributing in defense, midfield and in a forward role, and Matt Fitzgerald had dedication on the field that knew no bounds."

"Federico Bianchi, who came on the scene late but took his place in the starting line up, never relinquished and got on the scoresheet twice. Matt Languis, Ronnie Silva and Aaron Chandler, who also came late in the season, put their stamp on the team."

"And of course, the most versatile goalie in the league was unquestionably Dominik Jakubek, who was always ready for minutes in the forward position."

"We are also proud to have nurtured some current and future MLS players who are now starting in their respective teams. Mike Randolph and Josh Tudela are with the LA Galaxy, and Patrick Ianni is at the Houston Dynamos."

"I also want to thank others that were involved with us, such as my assistant coaches Hugo Perez and Efrain Burgos, and also other players that were part of the team at one point, including Josh Hansen, Luis Aguilar, Juan Epitie, Ryan Suarez, Cameron Dunn, Raul Palomares, Ricky Herron, Daniel Smith and and the season-injured casualties Josh Barton and Rene Corona."