California Victory: fans owning the team (myfootballclub.co.uk)

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by pc4th, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    There were no marketing at all.
    And we still get 1000 people (1293 for the last game).
    Imagine, how many people could we've got with a proper San Francisco based marketing?

I really hope that either Piterman will take over this team now, as he is not involved with Alaves anymore. Or some other owner will come up. West Ham United is looking to create a team in USL-1, and it would be great if they would've picked up our franchise.

2. sullyofthesunset

San Francisco Glens
    Jun 7, 2006
    San Francisco
    Right On IceFunk!! Thats what I like seeing in this forum is some life. It seems alot of folks are content with letting it fizzle and die out. I like the idea of the team staying and renaming them San Francisco Victory. The only thing I would like to add is that I would like to see earlier starts on Saturdays, maybe even day games or afternoon games. Kezar is Kezar, but why not have the beer garden thing like the lacrosse team and some half-decent concessions. I'm not bagging on Team99 cause that guy shows up and has honestly tried. He might actually be losing money in this deal. Go figure out the gas to Santa Cruz and back, paying people and selling 3 dollar hot dogs. Lesser men might have quit already. I too want to see USL succeed in San Francisco for two reasons.
    It makes for more footy to watch and competition keeps people honest, competative, and motivated to succeed. MLS needs competition to force it to expand. USL grows the sport and fills in the gaps where MLS doesn't expand into and keeps the sport of soccer alive in smaller markets or marginal markets. The two leagues need each other as far as American soccer is concerned. A successful MLS can pay more and keep American players at home. USL is the professionally organized minor league structure that can nurture and keep American born players here in the States. I don't believe No. Cal could sustain two MLS francises but one MLS, one D1, and a couple of PDL's, maybe. I'm dreaming, but hey thats what these boards are for. Go Vics!!

3. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    myfootballclub.co.uk has now signed up over 50,000 members and is not asking people to pay for membership. Appearently they have been contacted by one League 2 side and some Conference sides to have them be bought over.

I think it really shows the strenght this type of takeover could have for the Victory. I am trying to get someone to build a basic website (like myfootballclub.co.uk) to try and start this out for the victory but if anyone else has that much backend knowledge to get this started let me know!

Lets buy the San Francisco Vics!

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only problem I fresee is that they needed 50,000 people at 70 bucks a pop to raise the 3 million dollars for the team's fee. Even if you cut that down 300% for the probable value of the Vics you're still going to need a crapload of signatures with the money behind them. The Vics don't even have enough total fans to do this let alone people willing to invest.

5. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where did you get the 3 million dollar fee? Running a team in USL-1 costs somewhere between 1 to 2 million dollars a year. A franchise fee I believe is around half a million.

If you could get 20,000 people at 50 bucks/share than there is half of your solution there. I also think that its possible to not just go with the 50 bucks each way. I say make it a non-profit, and have shares for 50/share. If someone wants to buy 1, cool. If someone wants to by 10 cool. Of course there should be a limit on the amount of shares so no one can have total control. The Green Bay Packers are a great example of this in the USA.

Heck if you find 1000 people willing to invest $1000 bucks your there also!

To saying the Vics don't have a fan base, I say so what??? The team is located in San Francisco, how many people around the WORLD would love to say they own a part of a soccer team in SF.

Also in the end, why not try?? True their might be a white knight out there somewhere, but if it is possible to get enough average soccer fans together to save the Victory, its worth a shot!

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 3 million fee is what the UK group raised for the buyout they are now initiating. That's why I said it's about a third to realistically take over an existing franchise like the Vics. And so what if they have no fans? People aren't going to just buy a soccer team, not unless they have some interest in it. And currently only 1200 people on a good night have any interest in the Vics. Now that would undoubtedly be higher with some actual marketing. But the fact remains, you need 20k or more people willing to throw 100 bucks or so at you before this could at all work. Not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely. Better to do what the Demons did and find a rich white knight. Afterall, community ownership doesn't work too well in North America. The only current team in the US that is community owned is the Packers in the NFL.

7. SSF Soccer

SSF Soccer Member

May 2, 2007
    South San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SL.....would like to talk with you when you have time, please email at ssfsoccer@aol.com
    Mike from the VICS

8. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk to an accountant or lawyer before you go too far with this. There are some real problems with these ideas that make them very hard to achieve. SSV looked into this with regard to the Earthquakes, and reported on it at one of the meetings at the Brit. Basically you need to keep the number of shareholders small (I think under 50 if I remember right) or you would need to float it on the stock exchange, which brings all kinds of bookkeeping rules (Sarbanes-Oxley for starters).

Also, non-profits don't have shareholders. People can donate and be "members" or whatever, but can't hold any equity in it.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, this is how the Green Bay Packers are able to operate after all these years.

10. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    I think the non-profit with membership is the way to go. While members can't receive any equity they can receive a number of perks if the team does well financially, free merchandise, free tickets, etc.

Besides, the majority of USL D-1 teams have a negative return on equity so it's not like members would be forsaking much by not holding equity in the team. If somehow a D-1 team in SF were to turn a profit then you could set those funds aside for building a small SSS. I realize it would probably take a very long time, but how cool would that be? Just look at MLS, the key to financial success is having your own facility. This has also worked tremendously well for a smaller side, see: Charleston Battery.

With that being said, pulling this off would be nothing short of a miracle. Finding 10,000 folks at $100 apiece is a huge challenge. But beyond that, you would need to have these same folks continuing to pump in $100 a year for the first few years while you try and build the team and absorb losses.

But this is America and we are allowed, make that encouraged, to dream.

11. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    If you guys were to move forward with this, contact the media (a bunch of them), it would be a great story for them, and it could also circulate more interest for people that weren't in to the Vics before, but after hearing this, could possibly be.

12. TheMizzu

TheMizzu Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Guys, I just stumbled upon this thread, but this sounds like an interesting plan. Myself along with a few other BigSoccer people have been looking into the possiblility of starting an NPSL team somewhere out East using the MyFootballClub idea. So far its all just speculation, but hopefully one day we can get it off the ground. Good luck, I really hope you guys can get something like this to work with the Victory.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that can be easily changed. It's absurd that the Seals have such a big territory.

14. SL Benfiquista

Feb 11, 2006
    San Leandro, CA
    The only way it can be changed is for the Seals to either fold or for them to part with certain territorial rights, i.e. receive compensation for giving up part of their territory.

15. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    Sign me up for $200!

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    1. Finding enough people to invest money will cover the purchase of the franchise, but the struggle for operating costs will still remain. Assuming that there are enough people passionate and wealthy enough to invest, they'll still have to pay more dues on top of that (as fans) to continue their contributions to the running of the club while working to get many more fans. It would be an uphill battle, for sure.

2. Would the identity of the team be dramatically altered with people throwing their serious money into it? It wouldn't be the club of cheap tickets and enjoying a game at Kezar, but the club of the middle-to-upper class buying the team with money that a lot of people just don't have. You could say multinational corporations are "people's companies" just because they can theoretically buy in, but that doesn't mean they can afford it.

3. San Francisco is the home of Silicon Valley???;)

17. Sporting [.J]

Sporting [.J] New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Oakland, Bay Area
    I don't know, I think the Vics could have more support than what we've seen so far.

Normally I just read the forums, but I finally signed up for an account just to make a post supporting the idea and to say I'd contribute money to the team. I know other people who would, too - it's just about getting the idea and name out there.

18. IceFunk

IceFunk Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Even me being a hardcore Timbers fans, I would give $100, possibly $200 to the idea, that is -- if it is organized really well (and also if the team is renamed the San Francisco Victory). I think it's an awesome idea....fans being the holders.

19. uopalum1997

uopalum1997 New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Turlock
    Ok....am I the only one here who thinks its time to stop talking about it and finally do it?....maybe those of us who want to forge ahead with this idea can all get a time, date and place to meet and actually discuss the particulars and how we are gonna do this!

20. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    All we really need is a web design and some way to publicize it. Once we get enough members signed on to the site, each one pays a set amount of money for shares.

21. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm trying to get my brother to design the website. He does it for a profession but unfortunately he just moved to the bay area so he is looking for a place to live and a job so I can't press him to much about it unfortunately.

If someone else has the expertise than we can get started. For starteters all we really need is a website with the ability to collect people's names and email addresses. From then we can upgrade the website as we get closer to out goal

22. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Why can't we use www.1906supporters.com?

23. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One of the first things that would have to be done is to meet with Piterman and or USL. While the fans intentions may be in the right place, you'd have to see if the team or league wants it. They could tell you how much would need to be raised for it to work. You're talking about 1.5m which was the Vics intial budget for the year. And it doesn't include any debts they incurred since the start of the year that would also have to be paid off.

People can start collecting pledges, but someone (Bruiser?) eventually would have to meet with Dimitry.

24. SSF Soccer

SSF Soccer Member

May 2, 2007
    South San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sangreazul....when you get a chance, send me your email, would like to touch base with you on some options that are being discussed....Mike from the Vics. As for everyone else...we are working on a few ideas, and will want and need your input, ALSO, the game vs Seattle is going to be a big event, and we will post it on the website soon ( David is away right now ) It is a fund raiser for the SFFD toy program. The soccer teams from SFFD and SFPD will face off at 4:15pm prior to the Vics game. We have posters made, and tickets made. Info has gone out to all fire stations and police stations. We are planning a special consession stand for that night. More details to follow....bottom line - lets have a great turnout. Anyone who brings a Toy donation to the game for the SFFD Toy program, will receive a coupon for free admission to the final home game Sept 8th vs Carolina. Lets make this day a special one....

25. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might be able to use 1906supporters but I think another website on the lines of:

saveourvictory.com

or

mysoccerteam.com

might be more appropriate. again hopefully we can put something together soon