California United FC expansion thread

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by County_Coalition, Nov 20, 2014.

1. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Peterson has thrown out San Fran, LA, Orange County and San Diego as the possible expansion locations by end of the year. Is he just throwing out market names or are there actual ownership groups interested. I can't find info on any ownership groups in any of those markets.

I'm particularly interested in seeing if anyone has any info on the Orange County bid? We have the USL Blues here and I support them the best I can but it is on level with Dayton. Shoe string budget with very little infrastructure and zero ability to market. Its hard to see the club being able to truly compete in this new era of the USL.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well now would be the time to "strike" since MLS is down to 1 team. But I am not sure NASL's interest is legitimate.

The One X repped this.
  3. bremen24

bremen24 Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It would not be their interest I doubt, rather I would question whether the potential owner is legitimate.

SoccerPrime repped this.
  4. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Antique repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This probably should go in the expansion forum, but "starting the fall of 2015" oh shit, another Cosmos type coming in half way into the season.

Lets see if this is more than just smoke by the league.

Smoke & Mirrors and Antique repped this.
  6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neil does his homework, so, yeah.

Fall 2015? That means there would be a split season again in 2015, with 11 teams in the spring and 12 in the fall? 10 game spring season (one better than this year!) and 22-game fall season?

(Also, he references the Aztecs name, obliquely, so we have to start that whole thing again.)

7. County_Coalition

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they don't call themselves LA then try to play in Orange County. As much as some people dislike it Aztecs would be the smartest move in regards to marketing. The Nostalgia is annoying but it is what it is.

Hopefully no one tries to bring back California Surf or Orange County Zodiacs.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aztecs is a good name, but do we have to go over again that nobody gave a rat's ass about the Aztecs the first time around, except for 1979?

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch them announce Vergara as the new owner :eek:

10. babykhris

babykhris Member

Philadelpia Union
    Nov 30, 2008
    Philadlphia,PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it more about making $$$ off the old trademarks or getting quality clubs in NASL.

They already sell T-shirts for the
    LA Aztecs
    Philadelphia Atoms
    Chicago Sting
    and more

I don't it's a coincidence they are doing it.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, they who are selling t-shirts isn't the NASL.

Secondly, it can't be a huge market. The potential upside of t-shirts for long-dead soccer brands is, I'm sorry, just not that large. Nostalgia is worth only so much. We have enough problems selling t-shirts for teams that actually exist today.

I have a Chicago Sting t-shirt. But I would venture a guess there ain't thousands of other people who do.

This NASL is in a retrogasm mode and tries, when possible, to act as if it's that NASL in an attempt to cultivate history and gravitas it does not currently possess on the basis of its own accomplishments.

But selling t-shirts, no, sorry, Classic Ink and Throwback Max ain't making that much off those brands.

Bluesfan, bullsear and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  12. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Chivas breaking the glass ceiling anything is possible!

13. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Putting a team in LA would be a risky move obviously with the Galaxy as competition so playing in a stadium a good distance away from Stub Hub would be a must. I would think they would also capitalize on the use of the Los Angelas name over OC. Aztecs would be a good fit for the name.

Maybe the 10K Titan Stadium would be a good location with its distance from Carson - LA Blues played there and couldn't draw many but that may be more because of their organization/marketing or lack of it but it seemed like it was a good facility with a nice field and broadcasting setup.

14. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aztecs in East LA ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weingart_Stadium ) playing the Mexican card in a more general way that just for Chivas fans. Use Mexican national team colors and sign a few former Mexican national team stars past their prime like Blanco. Probably could draw 8k if Chivas could draw 8k.

15. Srodgers

Srodgers New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can't see this being successful AT ALL

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good thing Peterson needs no one's opinion or facts or logic to build HIS league.

17. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. OpenCupFan

OpenCupFan Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I think OC Blues have the potential to be a good addition to NASL.

19. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can. If the owners can do it right and find a niche group of supporters, they will do just fine drawing crowds upward of 10k. LA is massive and sprawling, this club could end up being a good distance from LAFC and LAG, giving them an opportunity to draw fans who don't want to make a long trek for a night of Football. Obviously, it's much easier said than done, but it can certainly be done.
    Not sure how much I believe this report though. For all we know Peterson may even be over hyping the leagues positions to his own officials.

20. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Peterson would overhype to the BOD... It's like cutting his own throat. Especially considering NASL already has two lameduck franchises and a zombie in Atlanta. Any Franchise announcement they make going forward should be legitimate... Keep in mind this is all still rumor.

21. Brother Badgerjohn

Oct 16, 2000
    Okie City
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Jacksonville was announced (and OKC and Virginia too, for that matter), the NASL wouldn't let them launch the next year; they said that they didn't want to rush teams into the league. I wonder why LA is getting the rush...

22. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I don't think Cuauhtemoc Blanco even qualifies as "past his prime" at this point. We're edging into "who is not deceased" territory.

Seriously. If a US team tries to get significant minutes out of him, I'm pretty sure he may end up leaving a patella on the field.

23. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think it's got to be that they're hoping to fill the void left between Chivas' closure and LAFC's start-up. I can't imagine another explanation.

But then I can't actually imagine why an LA team seems like a good idea. They already have the Galaxy, Galaxy 2, OC Blues, and the incoming LAFC (and certainly LAFC 2 not long after).

Just where do they expect to "fit" into that market?

24. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States