California to lead the way on stem cells

Discussion in 'Elections' started by DevilDave, Nov 3, 2004.

1. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

West Bromwich Albion/RBNY/PSG/Gamba Osaka/Sac Republic
    United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to interrupt the hand-wringing by my fellow Dems for a moment...

As usual in California it was the parade of ballot initiatives that was the biggest news in this safe Kerry state. Perhaps the most significant measure to pass was Proposition 71, the $3 billion bond that would fund embryonic stem cell research. Even if John Kerry had won, he would have committed less NATIONWIDE than California voters are prepared to commit. I think the bond will be a boon not only to people who could benefit from research, but also will benefit businesses and individuals involved in stem cell research.

Arnold Schwarzenegger thumbed his nose at President Bush and the California Republican Party when he decided not too long ago to throw his support behind the measure. If the federal government - under another four years of a Repub prez and Congress - will be hostile to the idea of funding stem cell research, it's up to individual states to take the initiative.

FYI not all the "liberal" measures passed in California last night. A measure to water down the state's Three Strikes law was defeated; so was a controversial proposition to require medium and large employers in the state to pay 80% of their workers' health care coverage (I actually voted against that one).

But ones that matter - the stem cell proposition, bonds for improving children's hospitals and a 1% tax on incomes over $1 million to pay for improvements to mental health services - all passed last night.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like stem cells as much as the next guy, but is creating more bonds for any reason the financially responsible thing to do in this state?

3. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    No, not really. But this was an issue that both sides, to an extent, could support. Even moderate Republicans understood that such a bond would lure biotech firms to California, thereby providing jobs, etc. etc.

Kudos to Ahnold for showing some conviction and not toeing the party line.

4. Metroweenie

Metroweenie New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    And Kudos to California for taking social issues into its own hands, and not trying to force its views on other parts of the country.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me, but how does California spending three billion dollars on the great Embryonic stem cell research fraud constitute Arnold "thumbing his nose" at GWB?

Spend ten billion. Hell, spend A HUNDRED billion. Dubya doesn't care.

The POINT, for those too dense to get it, is that federal tax money is money taken from people by law. To use federal tax money to pay for research usiong aborted fetuses runs counter to some people's sense of right and wrong.

SO Bush doesn't want Federal moneies spent this way.

If other people want to spend THEIR money this way, he doesn't give a crap. In fact, it gets him off the hook. Now, nobody can claim that this "EXCITING< WONDERFUL< MIRACLE RESEARCH WHICH WILL SOLVE ALL MEDICAL PROBLEMS FOREVER!!!!!" is being held up in any way.

The JOKE here is that Californians put themselves on the hook for three billion dollars more debt (at a time when they're already swimming in it) almost solely because they thought they were sticking it to Bush.

The jokes' on them: Bush WON this one, California is paying for expensive research they don't really understand for political reasons and Bush is off the hook.

You guys are so bloody lame, you don't know a win when you see one.

6. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh. To quote the Vice President (allegedly), "Reagan proved deficits don't matter." :rolleyes:

Anyway, as biggyv pointed out, this is also a major pitch to show that California is willing to be a leader in biotechnology, and could potentially lure firms here and aid those already doing business here.

Now if only the federal government will keep from sticking its nose into this burgeoning field... :mad:

7. DevilDave

DevilDave Member

United States
    Sep 29, 2001
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is dead-on certain that stem cell research will come up with any magic bullets. But it's a gamble (backed by half-decent theory) that a lot of people here are willing to make. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And should we hit that jackpot and find the cure for (**name of disease**) then California gets the credit.

Uh no I voted for 71 not because I thought I was sticking it to Bush, but because I thought some good might come from it. Maybe I thought it was something visionary that other less progressive-thinking states wouldn't think of doing (a certain one that is high in the middle and round on both ends comes to mind).

As far as a "win" for Bush it's only that if absolutely nothing comes from the research. We'll see, right? If it DOES produce something, Dubya can't take any credit for it.

BTW, Bush IS sort of on the hook because he could willfully impose federal restrictions on what California is trying to do with the money from the bond. And potentially hurt biotech business in this state. And as far as the money is concerned, the GOP's "golden boy" Ahnuld is on the hook as well...

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Repped.