Califf & Robinson......best central defense in MLS?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, but their names are "Greg" and "Clarence", and if the competition is guys named "Eddie" and "Danny", I think I know whose ass is getting kicked. It sounds like one of those 50s Greaser vs Country Club brawls.

2. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but their real names are not Eddie and Danny. They're Bruno and Bronko, and when they get done with Greg and Clarence, the Dullass boys will require orthopedic surgery.

3. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Ya know Drum'r Boy, I'm tired of seeing all of your posts on our boards that actually have some data and make sense! Why don't you just come in like other outsiders and mouth off with nothing to back it up :D

Good post, good points.....fortunately for us, you'll be missing Vanney Saturday.

4. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm funny that way. It is a curse I have - and it usually drives Dallas fans crazy, but this year, not so much. :D

Well, as for Vanney, Jolley stepped in for him once before and we smoked DC, 2-0, in their house. We'll see how things go on Saturday.

5. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    Not a bad guy to have coming off the bench, he could start on a lot of teams. i have to give credit to Dallas for building a very exciting and deep team. ROB worries me for saturdays game, Chung's not gonna be able to stay with him for 90 minutes and I'm not sure that Wade will be able to handle the pressure as the game goes on. I'll be very happy if we steal a point at your place.

6. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Any truth to the rumors about Dallas trading Jolley to free up a space and cap room to sign Wilson when the Transfer Window opens?

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they worked out a deal somehow. One of the following: traded something for cap room (they have roster room once Richard is put on the IR - and no need to until we have Mark ready to go); Jolley waived the guarantee and took a pay cut (or multiple players took pay cuts) to get us under the cap.

I would guess that originally, the deal was to send him to NJ, but them being able to pick up Jolley died when they got Suarez.

Personally, I'm glad - Steve is good people, and I'd like him to finally be on a winner. I was very impressed with the way he stepped in for the DC game - that was a good chance of falling apart and it didn't happen. Good stuff.

8. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    What a difference one game can make.....looks like both will be out for the next game. The upside is that SJ didn't seem to miss either after they exited Saturday's game.

9. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and just after Lalas left. I guess Doyle will have to suit up instead.

10. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I didn't see the game and I can tell you that if Cochrane was playing, they missed Eddie and Danny.....why do you think Dom was so irritated at Robinson. With Califf out and Eddie asking for a sub and you look over at your bench and see Cochrane.....you'd be pissed too.

11. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Eddie did not practice today, and they don't know yet if he'll be playing this weekend. Since it's a short week, with one more practice tomorrow and then the plane ride, Dom will have to make a decision earlier in the week than usual on Eddie's health (unless they just plan on taking an extra guy on the plane trip Thursday, along with Eddie....no idea what the league rules are about that, if there are any...)

Good news on Califf, I found this writeup on the MLS Regulations:
    So, Califf should not have to sit out 2 games, as the first yellow card means he has 4 total, which means that he can't have 21 total points accumulated yet. He'll be on "Yellow Card Watch" for accumulated points, and his next yellow card will put him over 21 points (unless he can play 3 games without a card). But, he will be able to play against DC United.