Califf & Robinson......best central defense in MLS?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

It was an attempt to stimulate conversation.....were you stimulated?

2. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This here is a generalization:

Even more important than the individual attributes of the players is the manner in which they play together. There are really two basic types of central defenders - two poles between which you find most of them. One of them defends through direction and organization, and one of them defends by tackling really, really hard. You can get both in the same person - like, I don't know, Jimmy Conrad - but more often than not players will be stronger in one than in the other, and because these qualities are complementary the best pairings team one with the other.

Like Agoos with Dayak. Nobody doubted Dayak's leadership skills, but the defence was organized by Agoos and no one else. In turn, Dayak's toughness and cussedsumbitchedness covered for Agoos' diminishing speed. Many times, players grow into the leadership role as they age, turning from the hardhead into the leader.

Robinson needs someone else to run the show, and Califf does that. Without that framework, he makes too many mistakes and the fire that serves him well when he is playing off of Califf becomes a liability. Next to Califf, he can play just on the edge of out-of-control, and since he doesn't have to depend on the power of being nuts to run the defense he (usually) stays this side of the line.

There's nothing wrong with this - some world-class players simply play better in a secondary role. Rio Ferdinand tore it up at the world cup, but never played as well with United largely (IMHO) because he was not playing next to Sol Campbell. And without Chuck D holding it down, look at Flavor Flav: smoking crack and riding his motorcycle into trees.

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    What I just realized this morning: CALIFF IS ONLY 25 YEARS OLD!
    Two years younger that Eddie Robinson, actually.
    With a bunch of domestic and international experience already.
    And he will improve even more.

Don't you think he has a good chance to return to the National team eventually?

(No, I am not his cousin) ;)

4. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree with you to a certain extent, by last year Agoos had become such a huge defensive liability in 1v1 matchups that any benefits were outweighed by the negatives. It didnt make a difference who played in CD last year at the end, there was a weakness either way.

Califf fills the same function, and is a huge upgrade at this stage of their respective careers.

Eddie is just a beast.

5. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Not to mention banging Brigitte Neilsen (aka The White Grace Jones).

*shudder*

I agree that Califf and E-Rob are currently the best central D pairing in the league, and Clark has been helpful dropping back there when necessary. The thing is, the three of them are, with help from everyone else, preventing opponents from even getting many good shots off. Tonight's challenge should be interesting, because Cunningham's tied for the league lead in goals.

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes, yes!!! Absolutely!

IF he keeps playing. Especially the way he's playing. So what he needs to do is stick with this team! None of that going overseas and riding the bench bit. He has to keep showing how good he is!

(You think he's reading this? :p)

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really doubted ERob at the beginning of the season.. he seemed a liability in the first few matches, but he has really found his niche! I couldn't be more happy with him.

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Probably not.
    Can you, please, forward this to him? :)

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And I will make sure to ask him to consult with one Wade Barrett....

10. i_heart_the_quakes

i_heart_the_quakes New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Home at last!
    I went to go vote for the All-Star game again and I noticed that Danny is totally NOT on the ballot! WTF??!!!!! :mad: How are guys put on the ballot? Is it the starting XI from each team for the first month of the season or something?

11. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Tee hee... I can't wait for the answer to this one ;)

12. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't answer that without ldb turning it into something dirty.... So I won't.... :D

13. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

That's a "yes". :D

14. Enge

Enge Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Frankenmuth MI
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Short answer, yes, at least with the teams I've seen.

With Califf, Gray and Davis, I'm beginning to think gAlexi may have actually been trying to build a better team while he was here. Go figure.

15. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    You would not be the only one. I recall a number of us (me included) calling for changes, maybe moving Waibel into themiddle for Robinson, or other options.

Hope both of them can keep it up, if the team keeps playing defense like they have been, we can play with any team in the MLS and win our share of the time.

16. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    until the injuries, Califf was a regular call-up to many of BA's Nats camps...especially the domestic based Nats...

Can't help but think that BA is watching and is pleased with Califf's recovery...

17. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dunno how they decided, anyone who was injured in teh beginning is not on, and also those injured after the ballot was out were never taken off

there is still hope.. he could be a coach's pick

18. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah.. back when everyone called him OTC (Orange Traffic Cone.. some people were debating whether Califf or a traffic cone would make a better defender)

what do you punks have to say now!? HUH? :p

19. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought it meant he was the over the counter solution for our defense problems. I shoulda figured though.... He's more powerful than that! :p

20. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :p

i was clueless to what it meant till about a month ago!

21. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I say as long as Orlando Perez is in the league, it would be a crime to refer to anyone other than him as "OTC".

22. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a "San Jose only" thread, or do opinions from outside NoCal matter in this discussion?

(edited to update from Wed.)

I certainly don't argue with the "one of the best" statements. Not in the least.

But before you go anointing yourself kings of the hill, you may want to look at who you played and where those games were played. Four home games with only DC as a real team (then again, at that time they weren't real strong.) And while LA was second in the division by themselves, I think we've all seen that LA on the road might as well be an expansion team.

The road games were against Chivas, Colorado and KC. Now KC is a solid team, no doubt. And getting results is good.

But how about going on the road and getting shutouts (against teams other than Colorado - who more times than not don't seem to have any offense no matter where they play)?

So yeah, I'd put Dallas in the mix there, bro. Goodson and Vanney are pretty darn solid (esp. as loose as the outside fullbacks are.... :()

So, just so we're clear - I am not doubting that Eddie and Danny have turned things around and gotten the results. Or that Onstad is having some really good games of late. (I'll say again what I've said it elsewhere - that series against LA may have been the greatest series of saves I've seen from a keeper in the history of the league, and yes, I've been following MLS since Day One.)

I'm just saying that there is *some* competition. It will be interesting to see how things play out on Saturday. Unless Ruiz plays, we've had trouble finishing at the forward position, but our midfield has been stellar.

23. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Outside "opinions" are welcome......and you make a strong point with Vanney and Goodson.....they were the one duo I considered as a challenger. Good post.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The test will be on Saturday, then, won't it?

25. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I hope we didn't hex em with all the kudos, last night was probably Danny's worst game since he arrived.