Califf & Robinson......best central defense in MLS?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by living_ded_boy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Is there a better central defense in MLS than Califf and Robinson? 2 goals against, in 6 games together(one was Onstad's fault and the other was Barrett).....they will only get better. If there is a better duo in MLS, name them. My only concern is our bench.

Discuss

2. Goquakesgo

Goquakesgo New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    San Jose
    no there isn't a better central defensive duo, Califf has stepped in and done a great job, and Robison is finally living up to his potential. But there only weakness is that there very prone to injury. and as you said it's tough to replace them....

3. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Two words......coch.....rane. :(

4. Scoschee

Scoschee New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    SoCal
    Clearly, LA's central pairing is much better. Did Califf and Robinson score twice on Saturday night? No. But LA's did. Beat that.

On a serious note, it hurts to see Califf playing well as a Galaxy supporter, but personally I am happy to see him succeed. He is a good player and could have been a national teamer for sure if he had stayed healthy.

5. beernsports

beernsports New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Califf and Robinson have absolutely owned the middle of the field since they paired up. The first several games of the season had a distressing theme in central defense: (a) balls lobbed in to the middle of the box were all dangerous and (b) Eddie could be counted on for at least one stupid foul each game (sometimes more). In the past several games those two themes have completely disappeared. I saw Califf play in the Reserve Game that he used to tune up just before joining the starting team and he was very impressive with his organization skills and communication.

6. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was funny, dude.

Yeah, I was very happy to get Califf. I haven't done a survey, but I think I was in the minority here on that one. What surprised me is how much Robinson has developed. In fact, I'm a bit stunned.

7. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The biggest change in the Quake's defense, since Calif started playing, is in it's organization; I believe it's Calif's vocal leadership that is the difference.

I can't tell you how many times bC (before Calif) I saw the defense standing in the 18 yard box (in front on Onstat), after the ball had been cleared... just to see the ball crossed back in the middle of the box for some odd bounce to be picked up by the other team and finished.

The begining of the season made me realize just how important Agoos was to our defense in previous years.

8. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    The Quakes have 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss with Califf and Robinson in the central defense. The team has given up 2 goals in those 6 games (4 clean sheets). Yeah, I guess you could make a strong argument that the tandem is one of the best, if not the best in the league.

Wednesday, May 25 @ Colorado Rapids W, 1-0
    Saturday, May 28 @ Kansas City Wizards L, 1-0
    Saturday, June 4 D.C. United T, 0-0
    Sunday, June 12 @ Chivas USA T, 1-1
    Saturday, June 18 Real Salt Lake W, 3-0
    Saturday, June 25 Los Angeles Galaxy W, 3-0

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are Calif and Onstat? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

10. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they are the best in my book!

11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeopardy contestant: "I'll take the category 'People who are less anal than Goodsport', for $100.00 Alex".

Alex Tribek: "The best central defense in the MLS"

Jeopardy contestant: "
    "

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still haven't answered my question. :p

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

13. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Califf became Calif when he dyed his hair. Onstad became Onstat when he made those 4 incredible goal line saves Saturday. Ya, that's the ticket.

You forgot to mention the answer Alex gave in my Jeopardy game was incorrect. I gave you a floater there and I'm very disappointed.

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank goodness. Well said. I think Califf may well be the one to fill in for what we lost.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Danny is handing Eddie some kind of tranqs? ;)
    Just kidding. But something has happened with that young man that has made him a more consistent player.

16. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agoos has been a great player. But he was becoming a liability away from Spartan's cozy confines. At a certain point, you need the wheels to cover ground. Smarts and experieince are not enough. I think our backline right now is better than at any point last year.

17. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

I actually think he is in a comfort zone now......He knows the spot is his to lose. Before, he was fighting for time with Dayak and Agoos, so when he was in the game, he seemed frantic.

18. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    From mlsnet

Califf's family addition: Center back Danny Califf and his wife, Erin, welcomed the birth of a baby boy this week, Blake Daniel, the couple's second child, on Monday.

19. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose
    Danny is VERY good in the air, he is very mobile on the ground, he seldom gets dragged out of the danger zone into wide positions and he is aggressive in his tackles. All of these things combined help Eddie play better. Having said that, Eddie deserves a lot credit for improving his own game. He looks fitter, sharper, more composed and his concentration level looks very sharp.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been very very impressed with Calliff, especially since I wasn't sure what to expect. I feel very comfortable with these two. Nice to have some youth at this position .... now if Eddie can just stay healthy from week-to-week.

21. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I can't think of a better central defensive pairing, both are allstar material, especially Danny. He's very solid, reads the game well, is seldom caught out of position, a good distributor and added the vocal leadership that the defense needed. This may well be the best defense that San Jose has had in 10 years. Like others said, i just hope they can both stay healthy.

22. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny... OTC my ass! :rolleyes:

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is there a question mark on the title of this thread?

24. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

As in...."I think so, what about you guys?"......oh, wait....that was a rhetorical question, huh?

25. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You shouldn't have had to ask... It should be a clear, accurate statement.

:p