Calen Carr

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Liviu, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    This thread is for links to articles on Calen Carr, reports from those who've seen him play, reports from those who know him, opinions about how he can contribute to the Fire, etc...

It's kinda tedious to go thru the SuperDraft thread for info on each draftee so post anything on Carr here!

[​IMG]

Carr drives into Fire - MLSnet.com ( "The 6-0 forward isn't your ordinary player. He has skills and his own style. Carr has picked up an international flare, while visiting countries around the world. He's been to Brazil, Kenya, Belgium and England, just to name a few." ... "Carr represents a player that can play forward but also wide midfielder." ... ""What he brings to the table is that he has fabulous pace," Fire head coach Dave Sarachan said. "He's not just fast, he's soccer fast. His running makes sense. He has a real good sense of making runs. We can possibly use him as an outside midfielder." ... "I like to use my speed, run at players and unbalance the defense," he (Carr) said.)

Fire Select Five In Draft - The Fire Alarm ( "It's an honor to be drafted by the Fire," said Carr. "It's a great team with a lot of rich tradition. I'm just pleased to be a part of it and to have this fantastic opportunity. I wasn't sure where I would end up, but I'm especially pleased that I get to go to Chicago. It's a great city and the coaching staff is fantastic, so I can't wait to get out there and go to work." )

Carr's college profile - calbears.com ( "Position:F/MF" )

California's Calen Carr and UCLA's Marvell Wynne Named 2005 Soccer America MVPs - pac-10.org ( "Carr, the 2005 Pac-10 Player of the Year, finished his senior season leading the Pac-10 in seven categories: shots (91), shots per game (4.33), points (30), points per game (1.43), goals (13), goals per game (0.62), and game-winning goals (6)." )

Combine 2006: Opening Day - 3rd Degree ( "Calen Carr, like Rowland, is nice player, but just doesn't have enough to really separate from defenders." )

Combine 2006: Getting Sloppy -3rd Degree ( "Calen Carr is much more decisive today, also playing right midfield. He was able to use his pace to exploit the defense (see Russolillo). Even when he drifted up the center channel he was better running at people from deep." )

Combine 2006: This is the End - 3rd Degree ( "Great show by Carr today, as he stretches the Argentina back line. His best day by far." )

Combine 2006: Wrap Up - 3rd Degree ( "Did little the first day, but then showed over next two to have explosive pace and some nice ball skills. Good ups too.)

3rd Degree's Mock Draft 2006 - 3rd Degree ( "Calen Carr offers... offensive flare and pace combined with good work rate and attitude." )

MLS CONFIDENTIAL: On Sale at the SuperDraft - Soccer America ( "has his faults but does have blazing speed and more trickery than some coaches may have first thought. He has winger written all over him" )

2. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    good work

3. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the SuperDraft thread:
    Remember, UDPride said great things about Rolfe right after the draft...and nobody believed him. Hope this all comes true as well. ;)

4. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    According to this soccernet article Carr isn't a good finisher.

"What he doesn't offer, however, is the promise of an innate goal scorer and at this point, his finishing ability still needs a lot of work."

I guess we'll see for ourselves. But if Dave plays him as a midfielder on the right, we can wait for him to develop his finishing skills.

5. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Well, there are certain reasons for doubt...

6. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Carr scores in his first game for the Fire.