C2007 Game 5 : PUMAS v Santos....

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    OK, first up this is now on at NINE pm mexico time, Wednesday 14th...
    Not much to say really, but they are 13 points behind us in relegation battle, if that goes to 16, I really think we would really be able to stop worrying about it - wouldn't be safe, but getting there.... any I really think we should win this one...

Don't think any of our injuries will be back, still. I have know idea what on earth is going on with Velarde, he was really good last season, although he started a little shaky (got done for the Santos goal, e,g,), but has started this season poorly, may see Espinosa in for him again.

2. foleyts

foleyts New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    NY from WA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is everybody ready to watch this game. This is a game we should win. I hate that it starts so late.

3. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Anyone who would rather not know the final, stay away from the Clausura results thread.

4. terrible15

terrible15 Big Soccer Hall of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    long beach, ca
    Congrats on the win...what a boring game...

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Well, I tried...

The goal by Pareja from Chupa was a beauty.

6. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I am guessing everyone knows the result by now, if not don't read on.....

Very disappointed first half, it was the same as sunday, just could not hold onto the ball, sancho and leandro anonymous, Parejita the only forward player really there - and his goal came out of nowhere, and once again the little fella getting us out of trouble, showing determination and lot of heart - his run onto the cross seemed to take for ever, and he was like a man possessed, everyone in the stadium willing him on to it - did well.

Second half much much better, came out (unlike Sunday) really wanting to control the game, everyone playing much better. Felt much happier about the whole thing. Once they had a man sent off in a rather bad tempered incident, then it was really just us. It was different to Sunday, we were already in control, and they just tried to bunker, I am not sure we were any better at taking advantage of the extra man - they were quite poor.

Sanchez made a good save off a Pikolin header, and Iñiguez (who I have been very critical of) was excellent, and his hard work led to the winner.

So 16 points clear of Santos, 12 games left - mathematically we could still go down, but realistically we have to think its behind us now.

7. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...watched the second half and i was somehow dissapointed at times for our performance up front...

...did not take much advantage of that extra man...btw, we got lucky with that iñiguez run that ended up in the back of the net...i am not much of an iñiguez fan cuz he sure runs much to then give a wrong pass at the end or trip himself, but its entrance made the difference in the score...

...the d is not playing quite like the d of last season and i am dissapointed about that...

...but hell, i take the 3 points...

8. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I agree once again we just not lethal enough up front. I was quite happy second half, felt we controlled it much more, but again you found yourself wondering where a goal might come from...

and so you have to say that Tuca made the right changes at the right time. I also do not like Iñiguez, but he made the difference in the end.. I would not entirely agree that the og was lucky... it was a fine run, a testing hard low cross, and the defender was under intense pressure.... 2-1 very fair reflection over the two halves...

I too am disappointed about how we are playing, not at all how we finished last season.... I really believe that the amount of hard work Gonzalez does hustling keeps the pressure on the opponents throughout the whole game, forcing a few errors here and there... missing him, to be honest.,.... cheers

9. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    kinda wonder when ailton will come back...miss the guy in our team...also miss youngster morales...sucks

about the whole descenso thing, pumas should just play the same way they are playing, at the end things would work out just fine...however, i am not sure if their mindset continues to be focused on the descenso but it seems like they are still thinking about it...if so, then i am somehow safisfied on how things are working now...

who is next for us?

10. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Pachuca Saturday 7pm, am planning to go, probabaly best not too wear my colours, and pretend to be a gringo on holiday, just going for the "experience", what with the 8 point plan, and the quarter-final last year they may try to keep pumas out.....

Yeah, it sucks big time, I guess Morales felt with Ailton coming back he wouldn't get playing time, so went for the loan, as it is he would have got lots of playing time with this long standing injury, as far as I can tell its just a little thing he can't shake off. As it is Morales aint playing for Necaxa neither, its such a shame, his development is really taking a knock by not playing.. he seems to have shirt number 179 there.... hope thats not an indication of how highly they rate him.... he had a bit of an injury too last year, has he still got that?