C&W, bluegrass and alt.country

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by MikeLastort2, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

I should toss him in the pile as well.

2. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
  3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    A former musician friend of mine who lived in Austin said that Jr. Brown is reportedly a compulsive masturbator. :eek:

4. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    My sister is really into Donna The Buffalo. Anyone know them?

She also like Hamell On Trial.

5. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Seconded. I bought it last year and love it. It's an album that all people seem to enjoy, both fans of bluegrass and those who have never really listened to the genre.

[​IMG]
    Must buy IMO.

I just bought this CD last week and really like it so far.
    [​IMG]
    Nashville Bluegrass Band - Twenty Year Blues

Don't know how to describe it, but I like it mucho.

6. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big fan of his-I've seen him about 6-7 times.

On record, his guitar style is not as free flowing/raw as it is live, but I would describe it as an acoustic, Dick Dale-Johnny Ramone-Richard Thompson mixture.

One of the highlights of his show is his version of Folsom Prison Blues. He does this rap that's pretty funny. Check out Big as Life .

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Meant to mention "Brother Ray's Band." "AAW 10" or "Comin Right At Ya/Texas Gold" would be my choices...

8. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bit random, and I've never even heard it, but I think Ween's country album is well regarded.

Anybody?

[​IMG]

(can't get much more "alt"-anything than Ween)

9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "Cause you're wanted by the po-lice and my waaf thinks yer dead."

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Don't know any of their albums, but I have seen 'em live and they're the real deal...

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The video was shot right here...

I'm not especially a Setzer fan, but he did figure out that rockabilly is essentially a swing based genre and didn't overblues it... and he did discover and cover "Dirty Boogie"...

12. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I guess what led me to start this thread was listening to "Are You Ready For The Country" by Jason & The Scorchers the other day.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    In that case-- add Mark Germino and the Sluggers-- "Radartown" to my recommendations... And boost the Shaver album into the elite. Billy Joe's kid Eddy was the shreddin'est guitar outside of Rock n Roll. And definitely check out the Jayhawks album...

14. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe it or not, her last couple of records have been bluegrass and pretty good.

15. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Really, he never comes to the meetings. ;)

16. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best bluegrass band in the biz right now.

17. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Monroe, Bill Monroe and Bill Monroe. Can't be overstated
    Flatt & Scruggs
    Osbourne Brothers
    Stanley Brothers
    Del McCoury Band
    Lazybirds
    Son Volt
    Jay Farrar
    16 Horsepower
    Doc Watson
    Earnest Tubb
    Reeltime Travellers
    Old & In the Way

I could go on & on.

18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    One of my favourites.

19. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

surely you've heard drivin' n cryin'? if not, i suppose "fly me courageous" would be the CD to start with - they also put on a good live show

for me, son volt "trace", lone justice "shelter" and jayhawks "hollywood town hall" are essentials - unfortunately, i'm basically out of that live music scene now (although mark olson's new band and maria mckee played here last week)

as for country country? well, i don't listen to it, except for the dixie chicks "fly" - laugh if you wish, but that's a damn good record by me - having never heard their music, i saw them play "sin wagon" on austin city limits and bought the CD the next day

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd go for Mystery Road, but FMC is a good choice is well. DNC's twangiest record is Whisper Tames the Lion.

Jayhawks are fantastic too. "Hollywood Town Hall" is essential. "Sound of Lies" is a close second for me.

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No one should have to apologise for liking the Dixie Chicks-- fine instrumentalists, they've paid plenty of dues, they write, they have a good ear for cover material, imaginative arrangements, express real things, and they take care of the business end-- what's not to like? People will cover their songs thirty years from now, and I think "White Trash Wedding" will be a bluegrass semi-standard... "Goodbye Earle" is already one of the defining cultural documents of our time... Oh yeah, and their intonation is good. Those who laugh simply haven't listened with honest ears...

My earlier comment was a vague prediction of Mike's taste, not an expression of my own. I own the last four albums and listen to them all for pleasure.

22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    We seem to be developing a theme here :D Are the Jayhawks paying you the same as me? ;)

23. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jayhawks are fantastic. Actually, I've paid them before. I promoted a show of theirs on "The Sound of Lies" tour. :D

24. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One person I didn't mention earlier was newcomer Alecia Nugent. She's a bluegrass singer, but more in the old style than in the newer, ambient-BG style of Alison Krause. She has a fabulous debut CD that came out in '04.

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

the funny thing is how popular they are in germany - AOL arena used to pump their tunes over the PA before matches when i was there, and people would just be dancin' and singin' along