Byron Alvarez Interview/Update

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Finnegan, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Finnegan

Finnegan Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Byron Alvarez, former Metrostar, who has scored 9 goals in the last 8 games - 4 of which were either stoppage time or OT game winners. He has been named to the A-League team of the week 5 times.

There is a great interview with him up on Timberlog:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~dallen3/BAInterview073103.html

Just thought you guys might be interested.

2. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
  3. Wabbit67

Wabbit67 Member

May 19, 2002
    Avon-by-the-Sea, NJ
    Some interesting quotes from Mr. Alvarez:

What was the experience playing with the Metrostars like?

"It was a good experience. I really liked it, it wasn’t like I had that much playing time because in front of me was Clint Mathis from the national team, there was Mamadou Diallo from Senegal so there was really a lot of competition. I was a young kid coming up from the Mexico second division so it was hard to come and win a starting position.

I really worked hard and everything and I earned maybe 20 min each game so I really enjoyed it. The people were not really as nice as in Portland you know, there’s no way you can compare Portland to NY. It was a big city, nice to visit...I got to know the city, but I didn’t really like to live there you know."

Also...

"I’ve played in NY, I’ve played in Mexico, and I’ve played in Italy with the Metrostars pre-season so I have 3 places to compare the fans.

The ones in Mexico they pack the stadium, 30,000, everything you hear is negative to your players, in NY you see 20,000-19,000, but it doesn’t feel like there is 100. "

I don't know. I thought it sounded pretty loud when he got booed for turning the ball over every time he touched it.

4. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    how did we let him slip away is what im asking