Bye bye efrain - Salou Waived

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by metz, Mar 21, 2011.

1. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009
    Re: Bye bye efrain

Just a bad signing... Can't bat a thousand.

2. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

1. I assume they took the 'nuclear' option and have to eat the contract here. So it won't count against the cap but they are still out the huge chunk of cash.

2. Makes me wonder if they don't have someone lined up either via trade or signing. Seems odd to cut him right now if they don't have someone in mind.

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I thought you told me Salou was the reason we couldn't keep Nationally Ranked! ;) Hopefully you are right about another striker.

4. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

I say when they waived Chinn that Backe must have ready lined-up a striker and now Salou that is for sure that the striker is in his way....

5. komba

komba Member

May 28, 2009

I don't think a striker is on his way... There is no need.

We have

1. Henry
    2. Agudelo
    3. Rogers
    4. Richards
    5. Hertzog

All for 2 spots.

I personally think they got him out of there because they can use the cap room at the next transfer window and he was probably pissed at not playing, thus creating a bad locker room environment.

We are adding a midfielder without a doubt come the next transfer window. They will try for a 10, because Ballouchy is the most obvious to replace. The only question is who becomes available? And if they are a good teammate or not.

6. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

1. Injured
    2. Going to miss plenty of time with the national team this year.
    3. Seemingly more of a hybrid winger/striker
    4. Not a striker
    5. Rookie right out of college

I'm not saying we HAVE to go get a striker, but I would definitely want another one if I was running the show. Preferably a MLS vet who performs.

7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

Hmm...

1. Henry tweaked his hamstring.
    2. Agudelo has Nats duties.
    3. Rodgers has yet to prove himself.
    4. Richards is a natural midfielder, and has Nats duties.
    5. Hertzog, despite being the only 100% healthy forward, is a rookie and should see more time on the reserves.

Which brings me to...
    6. We've got Open Cup and Reserve league games to fill out. Since the team will likely use 3-4 of the above players in any game, that leaves one of them, likely Hertzog to play in the Reserves.

If any two of the above players gets hurt or misses significant time due to national team callups, both well within the realm of possibility, then you may be left with only 2-3 players at the forward positions, incredibly thin depth. Having disposed of both Chinn and Salou, the team is left without the likely starters in the reserve league. Add in that Chirgadze would have filled this role nicely and the club needs depth at the developmental level. Even if Hertzog is the #4 forward on the club, he is likely to see significant time in MLS just through the natural course of things. So get someone better, or get someone greener; but this team needs at least one more forward.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

And is Rodgers much of a goal scorer? He scored 13 goals for Notts County in 46 appearances (mostly at 4th Division in England)?

9. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

I'd rather let the 18 year old do all the running for Henry. But even given that it is our best lineup, it won't happen near often enough. For every Lindpere there is a Salou. Is Rodgers going to be the former, or latter?

10. Prazan

Prazan New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Prague

Yes. While it will cost them some money, we do get the cap money back, just as Seattle did with Nkufo.

For those who aren't aware, under the new league rules, you can cut one guaranteed contract (at the team's expense) and get it off the cap if it is done before the season begins. Since we are announcing it now, it is safe to assume that this was technically done before Saturday's game.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2011-mls-roster-rules

11. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I suspect that may be the case especially since it looks like we are way short of a 30 man roster. I think it won't be a big signing and might be one of those numerous trialists we had including the guy from Trinidad or somebody of that sort or maybe another academy signing. We have this guy Brandon Allen in our U-18 (turns 18 in October) who is 10 goals in last 6 games.

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003

Richards a striker?....not make me laugh, we only have four strikers right now and Agudelo will be out a lot this year, Hertzog who????... Henry will be out for injuries a lot of time,we definitely need one more striker and a good one, maybe a 3rd DP...

13. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2 DP strikers is not the best idea imo, I know Agudelo will miss time but with Henry, Agudelo and Rodgers we just need another solid body but no DP If we get a DP get a midfielder..a creative one

14. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cory Hetzog is a young AMERICAN forward who promises to be a better scorer than your boy Chinn. I'm really surprised you haven't started a petition for Backe to get him playing time with the first team already.

15. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I assume you meant to quote Metz...

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll get another striker. But I also think Corey will get a lot of time. Ream was a rookie last year and was team's ironman. No reason to sit a guy just because he's a rookie.

Injuries are my biggest fear. Two of those could rip the horns off the bull.

17. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I hope Backe hear you, but he has not been to open for that, Agudelo hasn't chance until he hasn't no body to play during the play off and like that the rest of the rookies all year around, but I hope he use Hertzog, Hot, Kassel a little more this year....

Ream was lucky that we have not defenders last year and still missing some key defender position this year, but last year we was have none and he was have to play and he respond and the rest is history...

18. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I love Metz' deluded thinking.

1. It's pure luck that Ream was named starter and had a breakout year. No, the coaches couldn't possibly have noticed how well he was playing in preseason and decided to start him.

2. Agudelo was great at the end of last year; therefore he was always great. Again, it's not possible in his mind that Agudelo was way off the pace at the beginning of 2010 and only started to look like he could handle playing with the big boys late in the year.

So anything good a young player does is in spite of the coaches. Then when guys like Irving Garcia and Conor Chinn are cut, the coaches have let go of sure-fire superstars who will haunt us forever. The way Nick Zimmerman haunts us now. :rolleyes:

Metz: These guys don't get together once a week for 90 minutes. There are training sessions every day that you never see. I'll take Backe's opinion over yours every single time.

19. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I thought Backe has handled Agudelo well so far.

20. MLSn00b

MLSn00b Member

Apr 3, 2008
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep can't complain about that.

Anyway, it was about time we got rid of Salou. He just wasn't doing anything well at this point.