Bye Bye~ Choi Jin Cheol

Discussion in 'Korea' started by NonStop4, Aug 3, 2004.

1. NonStop4

NonStop4 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
  2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No no, bad news :(

He were one of the best defenders, now our defense will have more problems in he future, good luck to him in club football.

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Wonder if the soon-to-be Park Sa-bik (Jasenko Sabitovic) is the future for the Korean back line? :)

Perhaps I should bring that thread back up to the top... what a lot of fun that was ;)

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    jeez, that Sabentovic thread is almost like a war between us Koreans...

Choi Jin Cheol, Hong Myung Bo, are retired, and Kim Tae Young isn't far behind those 2 either. I do expect Mr. Kim to be on WC 06 but that would be his last taste of international footie. We really need to start developing some good defenders...atleast Jo Byeong Guk is good.. :)

And i really never been a big fan of Sabentovic, he's a good dependable defender in K-League but is he really capable of playing international football? And Jasenko got bad taste, Park Sa-Bik? heh...atleast better than Lee Sung Nam tho...

5. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Hm, nah. Sa-Bik is not eligible to play for Korean NT - I read a post at SoccerWorld of a fan who met Sa-Bik in person (about a week ago?), and Sa-bik told him that he received a letter from FIFA (or some other governing body) saying that he won't be able to play for Korea as he had made few appearances for his (previous) country over the years.

6. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Damn, our plan C is ruined...

7. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Good luck to Choi Jin Cheul... sad to seem him gone from the NT, but I also think it was a wise decision on his part since it not only gives him extra rest that he needs (and will lengthen his club career), but Korean defense is in a need of change, anyway. It's time to make way for guys such as Cho Byung Kook, Kim Chi Gon, Kim Jin Kyu, etc.

8. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    He shouldn't retire.
    He is the best Asian defender ever seen. Better than Hong and Kim

9. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Its sad to see him go especially when we need him the most oh well good luck to him.

10. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Im really not sure what the hell he's thinking really...

Make room for the new crop of defenders? What new crop? He could easily stay on while the NT farms.

Anyways, Ill always remember Choi and his gutty performance against that piece of shiet Christian Vierri. When you can take effectively take out the striker with the sharpest elbows in the world...you know you got game. Totally earned my respect after that game.

Choi is a badasss.

11. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    True.

Another find by genius Hiddink before the WC. The master was looking for a big tall defender who could tussle with big European strikers and Choi became the man. For a no name K-League player he did a wonderful job against the likes of Pauleta, Vieri, Morientes, Klose and others.

Too bad he's 33 years old now. He'll never get to show his talents in Europe.

Thanks for the memory and good luck in the future.

최진철 화이팅!!!!!!!!

12. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    From the Asian Cup games it really did seem that Choi Jin-chul's best days were behind him and he no longer had the pace to cope with quick forwards.
    Perhaps it is time for him to retire. On that note, if he's got what it takes, he should stay on as a coach on the national team.

13. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This is really sad, I was hoping he could help us win the World Cup in 2006. Choi Jin-Cheol always showed an amazing amount of class on and off the field, and he was always one of my personal favorite players.

He may not have been talented as some of the other players, but he certainly had the most heart and gave 110% every game.

Thank you, Choi, for all the memories. Your legacy will never be forgotten here in Korea.