BVB In The 2011-2012 Champions' League [R]

Discussion in 'Borussia Dortmund' started by footyfan1, Jul 17, 2011.

1. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That is BS.

We were in our best form last season while we were still in Europe.

Our form dropped off a bit after we were eliminated from the EL.

We discussed this all at length last season.

2. reality7

reality7 Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Hungary
    Ahh.. the myths against olympiakos again.. I am proud some Germans attempt to create myths as much as the ancient Greeks! Makes me believe in that bull carp 'indo europeanism' the english invented so save historical and cultural face!

We lost 0-1 to Marseille at home. It was our first competitive game (League/CL/or Cup) in 5 months due to all games being cancelled in Greece because of the match fixing crisis. Even though on that day we were wet behind the ears, we deserved a point. We easily beat Marseille in the Velodrome, if they had had any other keeper the score would have been higher to us. He pulled out some spectacular saves, that is why he is their captain.
    Either way it doesn't matter - we scored more goals than any other team in the group and had the second best defense. On an average game we were missing around 5-6 starters. Last night we were without Makoun/Ibagaza/Fejsa/Yeste.

Arsenal babies? They started their strongest defence possible, lets have a look at their babies's ages they used against us:

21 Fabianski 26
    05 Vermaelen 26
    11 Santos 28
    18 Squillaci 31
    20 Djourou 24
    15 Oxlade-Chamberlain 18
    23 Arshavin 30
    26 Frimpong 19
    30 Benayoun 31
    39 Coquelin 20
    29 Chamakh 27

Finally, I will quote for the last time, some results from last decade in European competition:

2002–03
    Olympiacos 6
    Bayer Leverkusen 2

2007–08
    Olympiacos 3
    Werder Bremen 0

2007–08
    Werder Bremen 1
    Olympiacos 3

2008–09
    Olympiacos 4
    Hertha Berlin 0

2011-12
    Olympiacos 3
    Borussia Dortmund 1

3. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That was far from our strongest defense possible. Squillaci and Fabianski are a running joke we would never willingly play in a real game, and Djourou has been working his way towards the bottom of the pile over the last year.

4. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    The thing is Arsenal is a selling club and there are around 15 good players right now but the others are nowhere near good enough. Arsenal made 9 changes for this game.
    Mertesacker,Koscielny,Vermaelen are the strongest Cbs and Sagna at right back.Djourou is never a right back.

If we played with this starting eleven in the Premier League, we would be lucky to not get relegated. Forget about top 10 or the Champions League.

Arshavin is absolutely hopeless.He doesnt bother anymore. No effort at all. For a year now, he cant even make simple 5 yard passes.
    I dont know how Chamakh can call himself a striker. He cant score a goal to save his life. Absolutely useless.
    And dont even talk to me about Djourou and Squillaci. It seems like they've never played football in their lives.
    Flappiandski and Mannone are disasters waiting to happen.

Olympiakos have played extremely well in all the Champions League matches but the other three teams in this group for different reasons are not very good this season.Arsenal sold 3 of their best players in the summer and wilshere is out injured and sagna too.Dortmund were poor because of tactical naivety and awful finishing(shooting abilities). I dont really follow Marseille but they've been very poor in the French League.

5. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Goetze had a bad game, him being subbed off had nothing to do with the final outcome.

We agree on this. Klopp's ready-made excuse will be they needed to win 4-0, so they had to attack all out.

6. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think it was an excuse.

EVERYBODY knew that they had to come out the gates running. If it didn't work then they gave it their all. As far as the G/L sub, I think that was Klopp conceding at that point.

Valiant effort, no Schadenfreude here.

7. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    No suprise Arsenal conceeded 3 in Greece. Without Mertesacker in the starting 11 that team sucks. :p This CL group stage prooved once more Mertesacker >> Hummels for the Euro. ;)

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no clue what you are talking about

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that was quite obviously a joke.

10. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes, but our form dipped before Kagawa's injury.

Remember, Kagawa was injured during the winter break at the Asian Cup.

Kagawa's injury had nothing to do with our dip in form. The dip occurred before Kagawa ever got hurt. It occurred after we crashed out of Europe.

And when I say "dip in form", I don't mean we started losing. Although we did suffer that loss in Frankfurt.

European matches can also help keep a team sharp for their league matches......

It all depends on how one wishes to look at them.

It isn't all a matter of disagreeing with you overall.

It is a matter of what you said about last season being dead wrong.

But, I know many people love that "not having to worry about Europe" crutch/excuse,.

However, I really don't buy it. I never have and I never will.....

I just believe the "not having to worry about Europe" thing is just a bullshit crutch and a bullshit excuse respectively for those who:

a) Fail in Europe​

b) Fail to stay ahead of those who crash out of Europe.​

Truly great teams can do it.

11. Aztattooedsean777

Aztattooedsean777 Tattooed Football Fanatic

Liverpool FC
    Netherlands
    Feb 15, 2009
    Chandler, Arizona
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    while we might have things to be upset about, glad it isn't like the huge conspiracy theories flying around the result that had Lyon leapfrogging Ajax. Mafia, poor refs, it has hollywood movie all over it. :p

12. HarveyDent

HarveyDent Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Staying in Europe would have been perfect for guys like Gundogan, Leitner, Perisic and Santana by forcing Klopp to rotate a bit more than he does. As is, he can simply mail in his line-up for the rest of the season, barring injury. IMO, he does not integrate enough to involve the fringe players and up-and-comers. I agree with footy that there is no benefit to crashing out now. And that is without considering the financial gain that would have been met by staying in the CL or even the EL.

13. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

^^^^^

THIS!!

Thanks for laying it out better than I did.

I tend to think some of these things go without saying. I really need to say them.

Thanks again man!!

14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly...
    I believe we have a discussion about Klopp needing to rotate a squad if we were going to progress through CL..and maintain a top place in BL early on this season.

15. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Goetze said something like ''our inexperience wasnt the reason for the elimination. We are simply very stupid for Europe''

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's too young and inexperienced to know the reason they were so "very stupid for Europe" is inexperience. ;) :cool:

17. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bingo.

18. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    THANK YOU!! THANK YOU! Finally someone sane in this forum....

19. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    It clearly was not inexperience. The reasons were awful finishing(shooting abilities) in all the matches, tactical naivety in France and Greece, Kehl's amateurish error at home vs Arsenal,injuries to key players in the last 2 games and loss of hope after conceding the first goal against marseille and knowing that Olympiakos are winning comfortably against Arsenal.
    Well, missing so many clear-cut chances suggests that they were not good enough to be honest so they didnt deserve it even though in terms of performance, they outplayed all the teams.

20. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Excuse me sir. But didn't Tottenham have the following players on their roster??

William Gallas
    Peter Crouch
    Rafael van der Vaart
    Roman Pavlyuchenko
    Vedran Ćorluka
    Niko Kranjčar
    Steven Pienaar

Do you know what these players have in common?

THEY ALL HAD AT LEAST THREE YEARS OF CL EXPERIENCE WITH OTHER CLUBS BEFORE LAST SEASON!

Go back and look at the rosters of the clubs you're talking about. I guaran-god-damned-tee you they all bought at least two CL-seasoned veterans.

If you're going to try to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about, at least do your homework......

First of all, the never had to "wake up" in this competition. Their play never got drastically better. Hell, that first match against Arsenal was arguably the best one they played in the group phase.

I fully agree that they didn't do enough in the matches they controlled.

WHY IS THAT??

I'm guessing inexperience in dealing with the nervousness caused by the situation had nothing to do with it??

Excuse me man. Again, if you're going to try to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about, at least do your homework.

BVB's play in this tournament was consistent. They were simply missing the confidence they play with in the Bundesliga and were made to pay for their mistakes.

Which they made a few more of thanks to nerves. Nerves brought on by INEXPERIENCE in dealing with the pressure.

But of course, I don't know what I'm talking about.......

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And I just showed you why you're still not seeing the big picture. Just because a CLUB might be a "debutant", it doesn't mean they don't have CL experience on the roster.

22. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ....pwned

23. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apoel had lots of experience to qualify ...
    and MAN united had no experience and that's why the are out :D

such a BS excuse indeed.

24. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ? no wonder some people in this forum think they are untouchable, thanks to people like you who keep feeding them with crap like this

25. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    You talk about one team.
    Why dont you talk about Napoli ? Cavani,Lavezzi and Hamsik dont have CL experience. They are just quality players. That's why they perform well. It does not matter which competition.