Buzz @ 3rd Degree Projects US Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I'm really only troubled by the Corrales move.

Not only does he have little or no international experience, but he is mediocre and he's a hothead and unpredictable in a game on this stage. He retaliates a lot when fouled, and I won't even mention the towel snap. ;)

If you're going to go with someone emotionally risky like Corrales, then by rights it should be Dempsey out there, because the two are equally petulant, equally inexperienced in this sort of international match, and Dempsey is a far superior player.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Ralston and Corrales Midfield!!??!?!?!?!?

BBllalahhhh....i just swallowed my own vomit. :(

3. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I know exactly how you feel, I was more excited about this game just because I was hoping to see guys like Dempsey, Clark and Gaven on the field together, instead I have to watch Ralston, Albright and Corrales. I'm not even sure I'm going to watch the game anymore. Great job Bruce, way to blow an opportunity to bleed new players in by wasting the on players that will probably be never called in again.

4. GenXer

GenXer New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    in my head
    I've always thought that Ralston was excellent for MLS, but too slow in the international game. He is a deadly server of the ball if given time and space, so perhaps his insertion is tactically motivated as they might look to counter through early serves to EJ.

If this lineup is correct, let's hope that Dempsey or Gaven or Martino is able to come on early in the second half.

Let's also hope that it is a shootout a la Arsenal and Tottenham's encounter this past weekend!

5. GenXer

GenXer New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    in my head
    Also, I'm not really sure why everyone is surprised that Bruce is not including too many 1st timers out there. We should keep in mind that EJ is still new blood, Albright's not been in a meaningful match with the Nats for a while, same for Ralston and Corrales. Maybe this is just an indication that folks like Dempsey, Gaven, and Martino aren't quite there yet. And of those three, I'd have to say that Martino has got to be the next to break through, especially if BA decides to use him as Andrulis did in the 2nd half of the MLS season. I'm not convinced about Gaven's ability to play quick enough at the international level, and as much as I love Dempsey, he just doesn't have enough games under his belt as a pro to satisfy BA's comfort level in him as a player.

I also find it funny that many people want to throw Gaven and Dempsey into the starting line-up immediately while others decry the mention of Freddy Adu as one to invite to a Nats camp.

6. ripmstr

ripmstr New Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Orlando Fl
    We only have three subs and along with those three I would like to see Spector, Martino, Clark...

I guess we will find out at 7:31 when they announce the lineup and show the bench so we can see the reserves.

7. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I guess we know how important Vruce thinks this match is...

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    It's crazy to think that Bruce takes this match seriously enough not to release the roster yet he has filled out the roster with shite.

The only reason I can see for him not releasing this roster is that he didn't want to be laughed at all week.

9. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Important enough to start several long-time veterans (Keller, Donovan, Sanneh, Mastroeni, McBride), some of our highest-upside players who have moved into the "future is now" category (Johnson, Onyewu, Gibbs) and three solid veteran two-way players who can give us flank play and are guaranteed to play very hard (Albright, Ralston, Corrales)? As far as I see it, there are only two "weak" starters on this squad - Albright and Corrales.

Also, I believe the positions for Mastroeni and Sanneh are reversed.

10. IamtheShark

IamtheShark New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Springfield, IL
    Spot on here. All we can ask for. Had hoped to see Russell, but the dude apparently has no luck with injuries. We can hope to see Gaven for some meaningful minutes as well...

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Relax, if the game is chippy and Albright gets a yellow, you can just bring Suarez in and things will settle down! ;)

13. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would expect that one of the subs will be a striker subbing McBride

14. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gibbs carrying yellow card (also Beasley and Hejduk). Methinks that the source aint too reliable...
    I'm not sure why Il Bruce would play Gibbs in a meaningless game, risking a suspension for Matchday 1 of the Hex (a VERY meaningful game), other than to jam the BS servers with "Fire Bruce" posts.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has to be wrong. If there is any justice in the universe, Buzz is dead wrong this time.

p.s.

I too threw up in my mouth a little.

16. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    As long as you are not the source, youthinks wrong. Gibbs already picked up 2 yellows and served his one game suspension last game.

17. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Could've sworn I put a ;) in that post...someone must have scuttled it...Bobby is known to have an attitude problem however, so...

:D

18. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz or no Buzz, my money is on Spector to get the start tonight. This is a perfect opportunity to see what he can do against a motivated opponent. We really have nothing to lose.

Gibbs WON'T play tonight.

19. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not too sure EJ can go a full 90. just judging from his comments after the last WCQ, in which he said he was tired after just 20 minutes because it was soooo fast. Then also judging by his comments on the videos at training camp this week - he was tired after the 30 minute half, and still had 30 more minutes to go; tired because, again, it was sooo fast and intense - and that's at practice!

Course, that's a good way to get game fit, is to be forced to play longer than you think you can, at a faster pace. And this is a good time to do it - when there is no pressure on the outcome of the game, but all the pressure to impress the coach.

20. USNatsfan Yesiam

Feb 23, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the links to the 5 official match reports for the semifinal round. I only see 1 card for Gibbs.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/archive.html?id=37988&year=2004&month=8&day=18
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/archive.html?id=37990&year=2004&month=9&day=4
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/archive.html?id=37992&year=2004&month=9&day=8
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/archive.html?id=37994&year=2004&month=10&day=9
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/t/sc/archive.html?id=37996&year=2004&month=10&day=13

Convey, Casey, Hejduk, Besley, Gibbs all have 1 card. None will play tonight.

21. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Your right maybe the young guys aren't ready but what makes guys like Corrales and Albright more deserving of a start. Neither of the two outperformed guys like Gaven or Dempsey all year so their all of a sudden supposed to be better then them just because its a NAT game. I mean really do you really think Corrales will ever be called into a camp every again?

22. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    If Spector comes on as a sub, I think it will be for either Sanneh or Gooch in the middle (his natural position), or for Albright on the right (Spector is right-footed, and played left back for ManU just because they needed him there).

23. SJB

SJB BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2001
  24. rpi-fan

rpi-fan New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Troy, NY
    To be honest, I don't hate this roster all that much. The only guy I'm really disappointed to see in there is Ralston. He's a slightly above average MLS player, and nothing more. He's hads his Nats chances before, and failed.

Corrales, at least, hasn't had chances before. Maybe Bruce sees something that will transition well to the int'l game. I don't know, but it certainly makes more sense than Ralston to me.

25. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Actually, IIRC Ralston has the highest number of assists per 90 minutes played of any active Nat. He didn't have a great Confed Cup, but neither did many of his teammates - hard to argue that he's been a "failure".