Buzz @ 3rd Degree Projects US Starting Lineup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    ...and he's pretty reliable.

Can't say I like this, but whaddaya gonna do? At first glance, the gameday lineup for Portugal didn't look that great on paper, either.

Edit: Make sure you rep Buzz. He's one of the best on these boards.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Ramiro Corrales?

Bobby Convey must have pissed the Bruce off.

3. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Ditto on Corrales.

Someone, please, especially a Quaker, please, explain
    Ramiro Forking Corrales to me.

I guess it's Bruce's best attempt to simulate the vacuum
    produced by Brad Davis and Eric Quill on the left side in
    Dallas this year, thus making EJ feel right at home.

-bs

4. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    I believe Buzz. Buzz is solid.

Which makes me question Bruce.

I love Bruce.

I'm the biggest Bruce Homer in the forking world.

Bruce, oh HOLEE BRUCE, Saint Bruce, why are you
    going to start Sanneh in a position he's never played
    before for the Nats?

I fully agree that Gooch + Sanneh equals the right
    height to go up against the big Ja bodies that will
    be thrown in on us.... but Sanneh should be the
    destroyer here.

This game is going to be bizzarre.

-bs

5. Riverdale Goalie

Riverdale Goalie New Member

May 12, 2001
    Bowie MD
    I just hope for his sake that Bobby is injured because if he's not, Bruce is either a jerk for calling him away from his club where he's fighting for a starting position and trying to fit in, or Bobby is an idiot for not playing well in camp and assuming the position would be handed to him based on the lack of other left-sided options. Either way something is fishy here, and I hope Buzz might have been mislead slightly in his calculations. Why Bruce would waste any time on Corrales in midfield who will never stand a chance to beat out any of the regular starting or sub middies, I have no idea. But in his defense, in the few games I saw of him this year, he did look pretty good, just not Nats calibre. Ah well, bring on Jamaica.

6. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Just curious - Is there confirmation that Convey did make the trip back here? I thought he played for Reading this past Saturday (for 10-15 min) and am surprised that he's called into camp.

7. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Actually, I anticipate Sanneh and Onyewu will start on the center. People are wrong about Sanneh not playing in the center before. Sanneh beside played right back in World Cup 2002, he also played as one of three center defenders in a 3-5-2 formation we used against Mexico and Germany. He played in center against Honduras once. He also routinely play in center defense in his club team in Germany. He is actually faster after the injury layoff. In Onyewu, he was almost sub in last time when Eddie Pope got hurt in first half. So one veteran plus one raising star, it is kind of like a Pope-Boca paring. The only worry is who can organize the defense. I believe Sanneh is not good to handle multiple tasks and is very good if he is being asked to do one major task, such as shutdown one guy. In contrast, Onyewu is very intelligent but may not experienced enough to organize the defense. (That is the major reason why Berhalter is called back last time.)

In the right side, who is better between Hedjuk and Albrigt? Russell should get this chance but he is injuried. My personal opinion is Albright is better than Hedjuk as right back. No matter how much love Bruce showed for Frankie, I always worried a two-feet tackle miss from Hedjuk will expose our defense for a goal. Albright is also better for the cross, but his fitness is always a problem. So who will be the substitute?

In the left side, since Convey is not in good form now, and Gibbs did play the left back before, even though he may not as good as Boca on the attacking, he should be OK on the defense. Expect Spector got some sub times for this spot.

In the midfield, no worrry with a Mastronei and Donovan center paring. Ralston is not worse than anyone we put there (such as Stewart or Jones), so no gain but no lose either. The only puzzile people will get is for Corrales. But do you want Gaven to start or you want Corrales who is not fast but very skilled?

EJ and McBride are good paring as long as they don't make the same run. If that happen, EJ will always beat McBride for a goal! :>)

Can EJ scores at the 4th minutes this time? :>)

8. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some interesting choices, indeed... some which make sense and some which don't.

• Another shot for Albright??
    • Sanneh in the middle, with Gibbs on the outside? Instead of the other way around??
    • Corrales and Ralston on the flanks
    • Donovan, the team's best player, at attacking mid, his best position
    • Eddie Johnson gets the start, partnering Brian McBride up top

I'm one of those who doesn't like to question the great man because of his track record for getting results in crunch time, but this lineup (if indeed it is the genuine article) puzzles me.

What I do like is sticking with the hot hand in Eddie Johnson up top. If Jamaica's tactics are what they're rumored to be in another thread, to play for a tight contest and a 1-0 win, then Johnson will have to be very influential for getting the goal for us that puts all the pressure squarely on the Reggae Boyz' collective shoulders.

I know Ralston's been maligned in the past, as well as not performing up to expectations whenever he's been capped before, but he's had a good season with New England and deserves the shot.

However, I'm not entirely convinced that's going to be our back line-- and if it is with that personnel, not in that order of alignment. I'd prefer to see Gibbs in the middle alongside Gooch, with Sanneh on the lefthand flank backing Corrales.

And I certainly hope Chris Albright does something that doesn't give me thoughts of the doom and gloom of the past.

I can't say I'm convinced that what Buzz has posted is the lineup set in stone, but it does have its advantages, especially in attack. But we'll have to wait and see...

Nonetheless, I'm going to make Buzz's lineup a focal point of the preview I'm going to write tonight for the in-game threads (and I have no problem giving him positive rep accordingly, for giving us the "breaking news" angle).

9. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buzz said in his post from the link given that Convey didn't make the trip.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    READ THE LINK!!!

Buzz reports that Convey didn't make the trip. No reason was given.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Quakes fan (albeit one from overseas, but a fan who's seen Corrales play a fair bit before I moved nonetheless), I'll do my best here...

I've been a proponent of Corrales' play this year, basically because he has stepped up the strengths of his game. He's an extremely hard worker, can be an effective ball-winning midfielder, has a decent shot from outside, plays well on the left, and defends til the cows come home.

That having been said, I can't see him as a long-term left-sided option for the Hex, but Bruce must have seen something in the matchups that allows us to get an advantage with Corrales. This might be his moment, and something that might never happen again.

Other than that, I am as surprised as anyone to see Ramiro's name come up in speculation (or otherwise) as a starter, and would be even more surprised if it actually happened.

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    It's a big starting lineup, that's for sure, so clearly Arena wanted a lot of size to counter the Jamaicans.

I mean, the starting left back is 6-2, and he's smaller than both the center backs. The starting left mid and starting right back are 6-0. The starting D-mid, while not huge, is big enough - 5-10 - to have played center back in the past. Both projected forward are at least 6-0.

Of the projected starting lineup, only Donovan (5-8), Mastroeni and Ralston (5-9) aren't at least 6-0 (at least, according to their listed heights).

Apparently, Arena wanted to make sure we weren't beaten on many headers!

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, along these lines, Sandon, one other thought on Corrales... he's listed at 6-foot.

Ramiro Corrales bio -- San Jose Earthquakes official website

If he's actually six feet tall, then I'm the King of Bacchus Marsh... in spite of the fact that my wife and I will be moving house again soon. :eek:

Having stood next to Ramiro in the past, and I'm 5-foot-6 in good shoes, he can't be that much taller than me. I'd swear he's maybe 5-foot-9, or maybe even an inch taller. And I can't ever recall him playing tall (like you mentioned that Pablo Mastroeni does).

For the most part, it is a lineup that does play "tall", but there are some notable exceptions.

14. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    Thanks. I was under the impression from other posters/threads that he was back here and got confused.

15. XYZ1234

XYZ1234 New Member

Oct 26, 2002
    This one isn't going to be the prettiest game but I still think they can win.

With injuries, card trouble, and players in Europe needing to stay with their clubs Arena doesn't have many options. Corrales is a surprise. At least we will see Gooch and EJ for the full 90. I'm also interested in seeing Mastro as the single dmid. Hopefully Spector subs in at some point.

16. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I don't like the idea of Corrales and Ralston starting unless it is solely to give the younger guys (gaven, dempsey etc.) a chance to play in the substitute roll which they are likely to fill in the Hex.

I still do find it very hard to believe this lineup despite the reliable source. I mean, does Bruce even tell the team who is starting until gameday? How would this information leak out and find its way onto the internet if Arena is so worried about keeping it secret? I can see how those who are in camp can be leaked by media by simply looking to see who is there. But starters? They are presumably penciled in on a piece of paper or just in Arena and perhaps his assistants' heads and somehow it is on the internet? Granted this isn't a very important game, but if Arena has done as much as he has to keep it from the media why would he allow it to leak out to someone who might be willing to leak it onto the internet?

Perhaps this is just wishful thinking because I really do think this lineup would be a wasted opportunity to try out some of our most promising youngsters who we know are in camp.

17. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just answered your own question -- plus the fact that Sanneh has played the position often and that is where his future lies.

The only thing that concerns me is the lack of Eddie Gaven. Corrales is not an obvious choice, but he provides the defensive presence that will allow Donovan freedom in the midfield. Albright is a good enough crosser and physical presence that he is worth another look. I am a little surprised we don't have a left back with more potential, but I would expect Spector to play.

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    His club is still saying he did make the trip. Oh, how will we ever learn the truth? ;)

19. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Are you trying to say that Convey's career may be being scuttled?

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it gets even weirder and weirder... seems that the run-up to this match, there's more speculation than facts. Even at T-minus 14 hours til kickoff, at this writing.

And that's merely an observation at this point, and not a criticism.

Hopefully in about 12 or 13 hours from now-- and much sooner, hopefully-- we'll know the truth as to who's there and who's not.

And even with the information, semi-information and mis-information and anything else that's passing for information that's going on, I will still press on and write the preview(s) for the in-game threads later on this evening. :)

21. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably not what he's saying, Flan. More likely that he's coming from the perspective of that Bruce is acceding to the wishes of Coppel to leave Bobby in Reading so he can keep some continuity with Reading so as to be able to push for a starting spot. Coppel has already made public comment about Bobby's international duties possibly having a negative effect on his settling in with the club. Plus, it looks like Reading's leading scorer might be out for the next match or two, so their bench might be thin. IMO it's a wise move to leave Bobby in England for the moment.

The lineup looks interesting. The height sure stands out. Corrales is an interesting choice, but at least he's got some familiarity with Landon which didn't hurt the first Hawaiian to play with the National team. Ralston deserves to be there from his late season play. He looked dangerous in the semi-final at RFK. Sanneh was natural in that position in Germany for a few matches IIRC. Not a big move from where he was with the Crew either.

Should be an interesting match.

22. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    What are you on about here flan? Someone brought up the inconsistency regarding the news about Convey making or NOT making the trip. From there you leave us with this ridiculous comment/question. Do you know something the rest of us don't? Enough with the unfounded rumour-mongering which your post seems to encourage.

23. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be worried if this was Bruce's original first choice lineup.

Clearly,it isn't,thanks to any number of reasons regarding clubs and players on both sides of the pond.Ya know ,like 90% of our NT men's matches.

Situation normal -all f'ed up. :)

24. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Line-up isn't horrible, but I was hoping for a bit more experimentation. Unless we get some friendlies scheduled, this is really the last chance until possibly early 2006 to take a chance on some untested people (like a Eddie Gaven, or even an Alecko). With the final round of qualifying next year, unless we qualify early every game will be too important to risk blooding a newbie. So this was a last chance. To see McBride up top seems like a waste of a good chance.

But hey, what do I know. My coaching experience is limited to taking Bradford City to the Premiership title in F.A. Premier League Football Manager 2000.

25. maverick

maverick New Member

Mar 7, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    For everyone wondering about Gaven -

He's the key cog in the U-20 set-up, and they have two upcoming friendlies in the next week. U-20 CONCACAF WYC (World Youth Cup) Qualifying tournament is in January, which means there isn't a lot of time for the team to practice/play together - Gaven needs to be fresh for these key warm-ups. In addition, Gaven has played many, many minutes this season for the Metrostars.

I imagine he would have started this game but for the U-20 commitment.