Buying a Macbook Pro on Tuesday- Tell me what I need

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Jacen McCullough, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    The title says it all. After 20 years as a PC user, I'm going to make the switch to Mac. I'm going to grad school this August, so I figured if I got it now, I could learn it/get used to it over the summer. I know that I want the Macbook Pro. I'm leaning towards the smaller screen. What software/accessory recommendations do you Mac-o-philes have for me?

2. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  3. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The iLife'09 software should come with the computer for free. Try out the iMove, iPhoto, etc ...

I'd be sure to get iWoks'09 software also for about $79. It is Apple's MS-Office software set.

Apple's Pages == MS Word
    Apple's Keynote == PowerPoint
    Apple's Numbers == Excel

Get familiar with those over the summer, especially Pages and Keynote they are much better than the MS versions and improving fast.

I'd also explore the iTunesU (university lectures) section if iTunes, to see what lectures there are in your field of study.

4. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've heard good thing about Keynote, but I don't think that iWork is essential by any stretch of the imagination.

5. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Something to write documents is essential. Really the only two options are Microsoft Office 2008 for the Mac and Apple's iWorks'09 (with Pages and Keynote).

If you are going to spend a summer getting familiar with Mac software this is "the" place to start. It will only cost $79. If you finds once your in school that you need to bow down before the Microsoft monopoly then you can pay the $300 tribute for Microsoft Office in the fall.

So, giving iWorks a try during the summer IS essential IMHO.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I am now a Mac-owning person. That gets me into the cult meetings, right? I had some extra time this afternoon, so I drove up to Delaware (tax free) and got it. The sales guy was a douche, though. I supposedly got a free i-pod touch with a mail in rebate, but I have no rebate paperwork in the bag. I am NOT driving back up to DE if that jack-a-ninny forgot to print it out.

Haven't opened it yet. A bit tired at the moment. It will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

7. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, I jump over back (after 20 years of Windows onlys) in October.

a) Apple's has some really nice video tutorials at there web-site. Watch those.
    b) The manual for thing like iMovie is in PDF format by clicking "Help -> Getting Started PDF"
    c) www.macrumors.com is a good site to ask questions, with a forums sections similar to bigsoccer.com.

When I opened up the iMac, it took all of 5 minutes to create a really nice movie from videos of our kids without even reading the manual. It was that moment I know I would never go back.

Also if you have an Apple store near by (and it sound like you might not) attend the seminars they have and use the Genius Bar for any really though issues.

You've got to get the iPod you can't get into the cult meetings without it.

8. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jacen - Happy to hear you're coming over to our side; you'll not regret it...ever... envious about the MacBook Pro... my own basic unibody MacBook has performed flawlessly since its opening and my only regret was not coming up with more change to buy a MacBook Pro instead.... In terms of software you can start with Office 2008 or use the Mac equivalent - Apple's office suite iWork 09 or iLife 09 (chances are one of these came free with your MacBook purchase). I would also recommend a small back-up portable hard-drive like an Iomega or Toshiba, so you can use your MacBook Pro's backup utility; TimeMachine. Buying an AppleCare Protection Plan extended warranty (beyond the 90 days) would also be useful. Should you be independently wealthy, I would also purchase Adobe's Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Acrobat, et al.) for graphic design utility since they really enhance your MacBook's true design potential. Best of luck....

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you haven't picked one up yet, make sure you pick up a cable that you can plug in to a TV for a dual-monitor setup.

My brother has the white MacBook with such a cable and no need for a DVD player. He was using a XBOX 360 as a DVD player (when not playing games), but not anymore.

10. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    OK,

I've been playing with the Pro for a bit now, and I'm LOVING it, but I have one problem that I can't quite figure out. I bought Microsoft Office for Mac 2008. Every time I try to install it, the disk goes in, it sounds like it's reading it for about 20 seconds, and then the Mac spits the disk out with no message or anything. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I've shut down all programs. I checked to see if I had a trial version (don't think I do). Why isn't it working? Thanks for any tips!

Also, is there any way to play .wmv files on a Mac, or do I need to convert them?

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's obviously your wonderful, beautiful Mac vomiting out anything manufactured by Microsoft! :p

Seriously though, does your Mac do the same thing with other discs, or just the Office disc? Nail down whether it's a problem with the drive or the disc. You may have to exchange one or the other.

You want this:

http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm

12. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Macs work no matter what!

NO. MATTER. WHAT.

:p

14. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    The learning process continues...

I've since learned that others have had the same problem with Office 2008, but I have not seen anyone post a solution to it yet.

I installed the Flip4mAc download, and it sort of worked. My Macbook Pro will now play wmp files in a Quicktime format, but all I get is the audio (no images whatsoever. Just a black screen). Am i missing a plugin of some sort?

15. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    weird. I use flip4mac with no trouble .... seamless, and I have an older powerPC mac.

don't know if you've been there yet, but the support forums on Apple.com are excellent and have answers to many questions.

16. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I think the issue lies in the fact that the wmp files I'm trying to open were made with Photostory3. It seems to have some difficulty in reading that kind of file. It gave me a message saying that it couldn't read the file completely, and provided a link to a webpage with Apple Quicktime component downloads. Does anyone know which component I need to download to view Photostory3 videos?

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Did you sort this out? I think there is a rebate page on the website or through itunes. You should be able to do it without going back. Their rebate program is awesome. I got my check in like a week.

18. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Yup. Got that all taken care of. I think I solved the flip4mac issue as well, but I'm not going to test it until later today.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lemme know how you fixed it in case the problem ever crops up on my Mac ... :)

20. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    The learning process continues as the aggravation grows. I'm typing this on my 6 year old Toshiba because my Macbook refuses to open any webpages. The Airport shows that I am connected to my network, and I've tried shutting down and restarting both the airport and the computer, but it still refuses to open up any webpages. I've tried with both Firefox and Safari. Nothing. It's not a network problem because, as I said, I'm typing this on my 6 year old Toshiba. Grrr.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It was connecting previously without problem?

22. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Yup. I was using the Mac for the last 4 days with no problems.

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    And you are sure it's connected to your network and not some random neighbors? Try going into network preferences and deleting your network from your known list, and then trying to connect again.

24. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    What made you decide to switch?