Busting the myth...

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Bluecat82, Jun 30, 2005.

1. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    mods would you take this thread off the board please? it does not lend itself to the kind of discussion we like on bigsoccer. it focuses on facts.

2. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Myth #4:

Bruce Bashers have a fact-based leg to stand on.

3. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    What's wrong with that??

Seriously, it has to be expected that any coach will bring a little more favor to those players with whom he is more familiar. I don't see a lot of blatant favoritism, though. You aren't seeing a lot of UVa grads getting caps anymore, as Bruce left there 10 years ago now (sniff sniff). If you did, you would've seen Alecko Eskandarian get a cap or two last year and he didn't.
    I don't see a lot of favoritism about the DC players either. Simms was a surprise call-up in March, but he has held his own this year (what else do you say about a defensive midfielder who isn't a Clint Dempsey scoring machine?). I don't think he is up to Mastro's level yet, but he is growing and Mastro has been injured and Dempsey needs a backup. Quaranta will be a flash in the pan if he can't stay healthy (Twellman) or doesn't perform at the international level (Twellman, Lassiter, Razov, how many strikers to name?) Other than those two, I don't know of any surprise call-ups from DC, and I don't consider Convey to be from DC anymore since he plays in England and hardly ever plays anymore.

4. Zathras

Zathras Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Minneapolis
    Right on, chessplayer. I have been meaning to say for a while that it makes sense that Bruce would call in players from his old teams because they're familiar with his system. When looking at potential players, Bruce is going to be favorable towards players who are already at least somewhat familiar with the style of play he plays.

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Myth 20054556: Bruce Loves Convey

6. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The REAL myth #3!

Actually, I'm not the one assigning the importance to Gold Cup...FIFA is.

In their eyes, Gold Cup = Copa America = European Championships

(after the difficulty ratio, that is)

It doesn't matter what you prefer or what I prefer. It's the formula that FIFA made up.

Yes, it's involved, complicated, and has it's own graduate school level course at most major universities...but it's still, when all is said and done, A+B=C

...and C has the US at 10th.

By FIFA's math...again, whether or not the math is valid is a question reasonable people can debate...however...we got that ranking the old-fashioned way...

We earned it.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so Mexico being better than us has been earned too, seeing that they are higher than us in the rankings? NO? Just asking....

Myth # Pi:
    "Bruce is never wrong and is not human.... Actually, he is the closest there is to a deity in this world....His word and actions are sacred.... He is the truth, the light and the w... Questioning his wisdom is treason and all those who do should repent... Only those in BS who follow these facts/rules are the true USMNT believers"

Actually he is starting to resemble Buddah weight and hair wise.... :)

8. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Myth 5

2-0

Myth 6

Adu

Myth 7

:) :cool:

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    myth's 6 & 7 you could have a point on.

put myth 5? I got that one on DVD. wanna borrow it?

10. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Surely you mean nightmare in your case... but that's far from a myth.

Poor VS.

11. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County

Meebee he went to the wrong college. Or, heaven forfend, didn't go to college. Perhaps he wasn't adopted.....there are mysteries.
    (Glad you mentioned him; he is an excellent player.)

12. okiebear

okiebear New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Bucks County

13. Ikari

Ikari Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Myth #8:
    Brad Friedel had a four day heart attack...a day for each chamber. The Doctor said his heart looked like a basketball filled with ricotta cheese.

Oh and Busch has played in a US friendly match. Just not the "games that matter"

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mexico has earned their ranking as well...

Whether or not higher ranking = better is open for discussion.

Again, it's a mathematical formula...FIFA awards no bonus points to any one nation based on who they are...of takes them away either, if you're in the "everybody is out to get us" school of thought.

(I realize you hate reading asignments, but you really should go take a look at how they figure it out...)