Bush's "Mandate"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Steve Holroyd, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering what he did when he didn't have the "will of the people behind him" over the last four years, the next four are starting to seem scarier than I'd thought.

2. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not how it works. The losers can be gracious, but they don't "reach out" to the winners.
    These four years will defy conventional thinking of the past.
    It was the president elect was the one who brought up "mandate." The Carolina Panthers lost to the New England Patriots by 3 points...and oh yea, Janet Jackson showed her boob.

Example #283 of how some people just don't get it.

4. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago

5. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    And the New England Patriots are the world champions.

Nice knowledge about the margin of victory but, uh, Carolina who?

Seriously, both sides have always come together after an election and I hope, and trust, they will again this year. The fact that Ted Kennedy wrote a major portion of the Education program in the last term should provide clear indication that Bush was willing to move toward the Dems. Also the prescription drug program was right our of the Dem playbook. And Bush spent more money on education than any other president in our history.

So I have no reason to believe there will be any more than the normal amount of bickering, although the judge appointments will be interesting.

6. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Not to be nit-picking but Fox called Ohio at 7:27 PM. At that point it was over. The only reason the rest of the networks didn't call it was because Dems pleaded with them not to do so, according to NYT yesterday.

BTW, has CNN call it yet? Oh, that's right, they did after Kerry conceded.

7. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I usually don't do "fixed" posts, but this is the way I honestly read your post, before doing a double take. ;) Even if my reading was true. :D

8. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I wouldn't quibble with that fix either. Bush HAS spent more money than any other president. That concerned me more than Iraq, to be honest. But Kerry would have spent even more and the deficit is already a big issue as far as I am concerned.

While Iraq has cost $126 billion, the long term effects of the prescription drug program commits us to far more taxes than will Iraq. In other areas the spending has been similarly huge. This was an area in which Bush was far more vulnerable than on Iraq, IMO, and the Kerry missed it completely. He should have spent a lot more time driving this point home. Of course, Kerry's program would have been very expensive as well so perhaps that is the reason he didn't. Once again, Kerry's alternative just didn't sell.

9. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    126 and counting. I fully expect a future president to be burdened with the responsibility of disentangling us from that quaqmire and dealing with the effects of its cost long after Dubya is back at home strolling the plains of his sprawling ranch.

10. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Shut up I am the winner!" isnt exactly how you make friends. Give me 1 reason it is within the democrats interest to do anything for George Bush. He has shown no inclination that he cares about what matters to Democrats.

That is the most idiotic piece of crap I have ever read. You seriously have no idea how pissed off people are, do you?

Are you high? Why in the hell does it make sense to support a man who in my opinion represents the worst and ugliest aspects of America? Maybe the Blacks should have pitched in with their own oppression during the civil rights movements in the south, you know since the whites had "won" and all.

Ok let me start:

Dear President Bush,

When you stop running your presidency behind closed doors, absconding all personal responsibility for its failures, visciously attacking your political enemies in unscroupulous manners, admit that your judgement is not flawless and stop enshrining your administration with powers outside the rule of law, I am willing to work with you for the betterment of the country.

Until then I am convinced your an evil bastard and will oppose you in any way shape or form that is not immediately against my own self interests you piece of pseudo-nazi human garbage.

Sincerely,
    "Lurking"

There, thats about as far as Im going to reach. If this were merely about ideology, their may be some room for reaching, but the snow job that this president has done on his supporters is shocking.

11. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal

Canada says you may only have to wait a year to apply for citizenship. Maybe that is your answer. But since you are only interested in your "own self interests" you will probably find things up there you don't like either. Good luck.

12. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move? Kiss my ass. How about you move the ******** out of the blue states? Since obviously your arguing against the "will of the majority" in them.

13. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
  14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waiter! Waiter! One wiretap under the Patriot Act here!