Bush's Economic Summit

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by spejic, Aug 13, 2002.

1. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bush is holding an economic summit in Waco, Texas. Here is what he said about it:

Oh, wait. That wasn't Bush. That was Herbert Hoover on November 15, 1929. My mistake. I should have been tipped off by the fact that lots of these words have 3 or more syllables.

2. Mitre

Mitre New Member

Check this story out.
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...0020813/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_economic_forum_35

This convinces me that Bush is a joke and that he has no brain.
    "Times are KINDA tough." Brilliant. Just brilliant.
    "The economic system is kind of complex; I spent the last 18 months in office trying to figure it out. <<Laughter>>".
    What an idiot.
    And just who is at this economic forum? Boardroom jocks. No one is going to criticize Dubya's policies. The closest someone came to doing this was some elderly woman who asked why some bureaucrat should tell her what to do.
    Donahue's Enron summit was more plausible than this crap.

3. ONE

ONE Member

Aug 11, 2000
    NOLA
    an obvious PR stunt and nothing more. and what the f*** would bush know about tough times? that f****** brat has had his entire life served up to him on a platter, by daddy and his cronies. and its certainly not as if he's suffering now.

4. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I ate lunch at home yesterday with CNBC on the television, and I watched this speech live. There was a bit of substance, nothing new or ground-breaking, but his speech-making style is so terrible without Teleprompters that he could have given the Gettysburg Address up there and sounded bad.

When Dubya is completely contained and coached, he's no worse that most others would be in that role. (The two best at planned speeches in my lifetime were Reagan and Clinton -- the only full two-term Presidents in the past 32 years. Not a coincidence, IMO.) It's when Dubya is unleashed without coaching that his style, touted as "folksy" by his handlers, comes out as "embarrassing" to anyone who is listening for more than sound bites.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A very funny article on the summit from slate.com:

Bush said he was there to "listen" to "ordinary Americans."

nearly everybody in the two panel discussions aired on C-SPAN today was a CEO.

Like plantation owners, the employers on hand spoke for their employees. "They are so happy to have jobs," one CEO told Bush.

Corporate malfeasance? Faith-based initiatives would help turn that around, said a business school dean.

The participants agreed on every point, arguing that the solution was "moral responsibility" rather than more "laws," "regulation," and "bureaucracy."

One CEO suggested teaching business leaders that "when you do something good, it feels good."

Another proposed that simplifying the tax code would nurture "good governance in the private sector."

http://slate.msn.com/?id=2069366

6. joseph pakovits

joseph pakovits New Member

Apr 29, 1999
    fly-over country
    Was this an economic summit or a counselling session in a church basement?

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I thought sure the excerpts quoted on this thread were chosed to unfairly paint Bush as a clueless f***. But no, the article did portray Bush as a totally clueless f***.

I wonder what Bush's poll numbers will be in a couple of months. Should be interesting.

8. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    It's cute the way he isn't even pretending to give a flying f**ck at a rolling donut.

He's in Texas, his home state, during a gubernatorial election. How tough would it be to trot him out in front of a bunch of derrick workers or something? Who at the RNC thought a CEO slumber party would be a good idea?

9. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Karl Rove

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hate to break up the Democratic lovefest in this thread but, gee, you guys seem to have missed some important facts from the article in your efforts to paint the gathering as a meeting of the Bourgeoisie Club of America. I'm sure this was just an oversight on your part so I will present it for those who don't worship at the alter of Al Gore:

quote:
    the forum of about 240 people who represented a cross section of America's corporate boardrooms, along with labor leaders, teachers, a welder, a truck driver and other wage earners. The group included some major Republican campaign contributors, as well as some Democratic donors.

Ok, you other guys can now resume your regular frothing at the mouth.

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The comments made by the participants were scripted by administration officials beforehand.

The two panels contained all CEOs, plus one student from Yale and one woman with 3 post-graduate degrees.

That's all irrelevant, though. This economic "summit" was nothing but a PR ploy. The amount of substantive ideas brought forth was pathetic. Bush's bosses tell him not to make the same mistake his father did by ignoring the economy, so they throw this piece of crap together. The whole thing was a cynical excercise.

12. Mitre

Mitre New Member

Never, EVER call me a democrat ;)

13. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, I though the summit was totally useless, and that 25,000 people were laid off today. Thanks for straightening me out, Ian. I better buy some stock and max out my credit cards!

14. Dolemite

Dolemite Member+

Apr 2, 2001
    East Bay, Ca

YES! The Darkness has passed! never more shall i be afraid of the mall or my house payments! Bring it on America!

15. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maureen Dowd slams Economic Summit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/14/opinion/14DOWD.html

President Bush tried to fix the economy before lunch yesterday.

He managed to last for 20 minutes each in four economic seminars at Baylor University. He dutifully scribbled some notes as participants talked, looking as happy as a high school kid in trig class, and bounded out of his chair when Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill told him he could be excused.

"Yes, well," a visibly relieved Mr. Bush said, jumping up after an exhausting 18 minutes in "Economic Recovery and Job Creation," "that's the life of the president. Always has to go."

Or as the radical economist Groucho Marx once observed: "Hello, I must be going."

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow, the left is getting desperate. First, some clown quotes Chomsky and now Maureen Dowd. Too bad Abbie Hoffman passed away, he would have a tear in his eyes.

17. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How's your stock portfolio, Ian? Did you short everything in November 2000?

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never been better! I don't put much "stock" in the stock market. Wall Street is littered with used car salesmen who just happen to hold fancy financial degrees. I don't invest with shysters. Real Estate is where it's at.

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > who just happen to hold fancy financial degrees

If you check, lots of people that run mutual funds have lame degrees or no degrees at all.

> Real Estate is where it's at.

Or was at. Hope you don't have one of those 100% loans. There are going to be lots of defaults in the near future.