Bush to defend Iraq War.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Own Goal Hat-Trick, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's times like these that I wish I didn't become a mod. There is a ton of profanity and sarcasm rolling around in my head itching to be unleashed.

Oh well..

2. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Just his staff.

3. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    There was no good realistic case for war in Iraq when considering the planned endgame of a unified democratic country. At this point, I see no downside to getting out and letting the chips fall. I don't accept the argument that we need to stay so that the world will see that it wasn't a failure - Condi Rice, circa yesterday. I mean, WTF is that?

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    So it looks like (surprise surprise) he spent less time defending the war and more time attacking the critics.

5. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

"neo" is Swahili for Jew. In case you were wondering.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Ronald Reagan used to be a liberal.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, typical Hollywood leftist moonbat. :D

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trust me, you shouldn't let being a mod stop you.

Hell, I don't.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me check with my wife when she gets home.

10. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Maybe we are confusing our definitions of liberal. I wasn't referring to the generally rationalistic Enlightenment beliefs upon which this country was founded.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My take is that Dubya's speech today was a sad act of desperation. Really pathetic.

McCain at least seems to live in the real world. Dubya's little fantasy bubble routine got old a long time ago.

12. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    My theory is that W actually died and has been replaced by a tape recorder. The only words that they could get out of him on his death bed were "We will stay the course. We will not cut and run." So they've been working around that ever since.

13. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    This demeans tape recorders everywhere.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    So, um, which country did we invade under Wilson to spread democracy? :confused:

What you've stated, by the way, is a complete over simplification. And its not even true. Liberals have generally been in favor of putting pressure on other countries to liberalize; they have not been in favor of invasions. Aside from invasions to prevent the spread of communism, who did we invade to liberalize them? Grenada?

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Panama, sort of.

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nazi Germany? Fascist Japan?

17. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Don't know the Germany case, but in Japan's case, US didn't fight a war against Japan because Japan is fascist. In the contrast, when Japan army invaded many countries, their oils supply was coming from US. US policy in Far East is Open Door Policy that means every imperlist countries shared the benifits on those poor exploited countries. But Japan fascist decided that 1) they should enjoy all the benefits of themself, so "Asia is for Asian's Asia (similar like US' Americas are for Americans); 2) they don't like US controlling the oil supply. That caused Pearl Harbor attack.

18. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    We were dragged into the western war--and it's not like WWII Germany was a country tht was existing peacefully, however uncomfortably or tensely, with its neighbors. And Japan attacked us first.

I fail to see how either of those is an example of "liberalism invading other countries to spread democracy."

Try again.

19. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Still waiting for an explanation of exactly how Rummy, Cheney, Jeb, and Wolfowitz are all former liberals. Oh, and Dan Quayle too. Maybe he was, hell.

20. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    everybody is a liberal before they grow up and get a real job and have to pay exorbitant taxes. :D

21. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    I see the smiley. That means you're kidding, right?

22. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I'm thinking of a uniquely American idea called Manifest Destiny but that precedes Wilson so one can't say that "Wilson started it". Now I think of the emancipation proclimation but again, not Wilson. And since Lincoln was a Republican, he must have been a conservative. So we will blame conservative Republicans for the idea of fighting for other people's liberation.

23. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Did you catch McCain on the Daily show the other night? The interview where once again he supported the Administration's position 100%? The interview where he's said he's seen no evidence that the Administration applied pressure to analysts although he supposes that it could have happened? The interview where he said that while he has serious concerns with the post war planning, he has no qualms with the reasons we went in their in the first place? I saw it.

24. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    sort of :)

25. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

yeah, blame it on everything else... maybe W will appoint you to something!