Bush: 'I am responsible'

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scarecrow, Dec 14, 2005.

1. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That first sentence is a very passive sentence, like the intel started out good but then went bad all by itself. It is Clintonesque, and traditional politician-speak -- which wouldn't be all that interesting if it wasn't for the fact that it's not typical Bushspeak.

2. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the game's not over.

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he takes responsiblility for said policy.

4. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Statements by the President aren't open to interpretation. I fully expect rep from all of you when the White House issues their "clarification."

5. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The battle over entering the war is over. Isn't that what we are talking about?

6. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    And how was this any different from Clinton right up to the decision to invade?

7. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy with something along the lines of:

"I'm a complete tool who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and somebody ought to kick me in the head."

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saying it's not an issue anymore because it already happened is kinda Orwellian, isn't it? We live in a world where consequences have actions -- attempted murder is still a crime, for example; the fact that everything turned out well (which it hasn't yet in this case) doesn't mean that there is no blame to be spread and consequences to be had. Maybe firing those responsible would help show the world that we're not just random warmongers, because right now we look like we are.

9. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when is George Tenet going to return his Medal of Freedom?

10. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    That admission will be followed by the Democrats leadership: "We are a bunch of pvssies with no conviction, no ideals, and no clue. We only give a shite about getting re-elected."

Then the earth will explode and it will all be over.

PS. Go Democracy!

11. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are kinda going on a tangent here. How does it help things for Bush to lie and say that he thinks that the war was wrong. He believes it was the right thing to do and that we have the potenetioal to create more good than bad out of the situation. In November, the majority of the nation agreed.

Everyone now has admitted intel failings and the President has vowed to and has been in the process of reforming our nations intel agencies. The debate about how we got there has been addressed, voted on and changes are in process.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you talking about?

13. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm sorry. I'm not willing to let Bush wash his hands of this by blaming it on bad intelligence and promising to fix that. There was much more to the decision to invade Iraq than Bush will ever admit to.

The decision to invade was a policy decision more than anything else. The intel, which he was highly selective about, was dubious at best. When he takes responsibility for the policy behind the invasion, I'll be impressed.

14. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he appologize for a policy that a majority of the nation supported in November and that he still believes in?

15. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the "majority" (2%?) of Americans specifically voted in favor of using the WOT as cover for neocon ambitions in the middle east.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that much of the intelligence was wrong. BushCo just relied upon the wrong intelligence - the intel that supported their plans to invade Iraq - and ignored anything contrary to that goal.

17. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    It would be worth dropping the subject if this was the last time we in the United States were ever going to have to take a decision about going to war. Given the way this century's shaping up, I suspect it won't be.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    So what Chimpy said, unless I'm mistaken, is that We got stuff wrong, intelligence was faulty, conclusions not just unwarranted but downright wrong, but I'd still have done it.? Yeah, that's really taking responsibllity.

19. pylon

pylon New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Chi-Det corridor
    President Bush, from the BBC's piece on the subject:
    <whispers>: pssst - Mr President...you're are a politician in Washington, too.

20. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    You'll be waiting a long time for that. You see, I picked it up on ebay for the going rate for a GWB awarded medal of freedom. I had limited funds, so I had to choose between Tenet's Medal of Freedom and a John Wolyniec game worn toe splint.

:D

21. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    It's not the gathering. It's the interpreting.

22. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Bush admits "Much Iraq Intel Wrong. I am Responsible."

Katrina events may have changed him a bit, but I'll bet it was the "poll" results that made him change his schtick. He has zero credibility and his party is jettisoning him. He (Rove) had to do something.

If they had been like this from the beginning maybe I wouldn't hate them so much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a great dual post. I completely agree with both.

23. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    Uh, no, it's responsible interpretation from all data sources without a pre-set agenda.

24. vivzig

vivzig New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    The OC
    And your implicit assertion is that one cannot replace the word "Democrat" with "Republican"?

25. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    I am making no such assertion, explicit or otherwise.

I simply strive for balance in the BS politics-board force. If you were all a bunch of hard-core righties, I'd be smearing the Republicans. The Dems and Reps are really the same party anyways, so I don't care either way.