Bush and Saddam Should Both Stand Trial, Says Nuremberg Prosecutor

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Mel Brennan, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they should. But who is this Nuremberg prosecutor?

Why?

Well, I think "Of course it is; we lost 50 million to understand that," but even if there's ostensible debate, shouldn't we be about a jurisprudence process that includes the world regarding that question? Ferenccz thinks so. Bush? Eh, not so much...

Yeah, too bad. But why?

Well, I am too; but a world court is better in this matter than a local court.

See point one, here.

By anyone, over any time scale, for any reason.

For us, the question remains:

Is aggressive war the supreme international crime, or not? If so, what are we prepared to do?

2. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the idea of pre-emption as legal is a dangerous precedent to set. If a country feels that the US will attack then all they need to do is claim the Bush Doctrine of Pre-emptive War and fire away. Of course the Nuremburg Trials already took care of that notion.

Bushco foreign policy is not making us more safe, is not promoting peace or democracy around the world, and is a disaster.

The AUMF says Bush has to work through the UN Security Council and he did not do that. I think he is in violation of that law and UN Resolution 1441.

The idea that we would even codify invading the Netherlands is mind boggling.

3. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just making a decision to no longer allow anything this Administration odes boggle my mind allows one to deal with on the terms nad at the level at which it demands, and to move, in every way, to reject it accordingly.

4. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    if starting wars is a crime then why was the Soviet Union not accused of having a hand in starting WWII? not to mention their other crimes during the war that went unpunished

Nurenburg was as much about politics as it was about justice

5. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For you, is the launching of an aggressive war the supreme international crime, or not? If so, what do we do about those who do that now? If not, what is?

6. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    anther question, where was this giant of judicial wisdom after Bush I invaded Iraq the first time? where were the calls to have Saddam tried for war crimes then?

it seems to me that he only threw in Saddam into this to make his attack on Bush II seem legit

i do not think that W.Bush's invasion of Iraq was an act of aggressive warmaking
    it was aggressive and it was war but i think it was justifed in the following way

after the first war, Saddam was allowed to remain in power if he obeyed certain conditions, he did not and we were justified to overthrow him and bring him to a long overdue trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity

7. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. Winners don't stand trial. That's the rules.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    There are a few answers to that question. I'll give a couple. First, int'l law and mechanisms have advanced quite a bit in the last 15 years. Second, and perhaps more importantly, GHWB's invasion was a proportional (maybe) response to an aggressive war.

The second half of that would be a decent argument if the war was justified that way, not ex post. Still, I have a hard time buying that justification when there are several other leaders who are worse.

9. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

so since we cannot deal with everyone at once we should do nothing?

that was one of the reason for the invasion, others became more news worthy and made better slogans, (WMD was/is a favorite)

would some one care to find the full list and post it?

10. Mel Brennan

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly; so understand, THAT's theethic, and the value: "Win." anything else ever offered by this group is an obfuscating lie.

They just want to "win," whatever that means to them. On the anniversary of the March, it's appropriate to remember the words of a man who lost - lost his life - but ended up winning more than any of these current "leaders":
    MLK said "If America's soul becomes totally poisoned, part of the autopsy must read Vietnam."

I would submit "If America's soul becomes totally poisoned, part of the autopsy must read 'winning.'"

IOW, the definition of "Win" is so shot through with an inability to even conceive of the ramifications of actions beyond the fiscal year and the macroeconomic post-political conglomeratocracy, that the sould of the thing is destroyed; as a cancer consumes the self, our own sense of "Winning," right now, regardless of the seven generations sensibility REQUIRED to maintain a stewardship and authentic leadership in relationship to the Earth, consumes the best parts of our own selves...

11. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms

But Bush is a loser in every way.

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls