Burn narrow coach search to 6 finalists

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rocket, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are the same six candidates we talked about for the last two weeks on Inside Soccer.

3. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been any indication who the other 2 unnamed candidates are?

I would expect that if they're MLS coaches their names would have popped up by now, so can we assume they're college coaches, A-League coaches, or the like?

4. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Lilly guy from Montreal has been floated by MLS confidential, but other than that no.

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    3rd,
    Any "inside" info on who has the lead in this 6 horse race?

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My gut says Mo, but I have no info beyond the stuff above.

I am trying to find out more, but we will certainly get a more solid answer when they schedule live interviews. The final 6 are going through phone interviews currently, or so I understand.

7. dig.palabra

dig.palabra New Member

Mar 5, 2000
    KCMO
    I heard from fairly credible source that it is MO.
    -Sorry to be so vague about it, but if it turns out wrong you can come call me names if you like.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I can call you names right now if I like....whaddya gonna do about it, Bubba???

9. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Does anybody have a opinion on any of these names? Outside of Hyndman they are all just names to me.

10. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So lets say Clarke does not get the job, will he still remain on staff?

11. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, there is a very unusual situation here. I agree with Buzz.

I think Mo will be the coach, with a two year contract. This would not be my choice, however. Though I have suggested Brian Bliss, I would like to see Colin coach the Burn. Again, two year contract. Hyndman would be my last choice of the men we know of.

The coach I want should be able to motivate his players. He should let them know where they stand. If they are unhappy about coming off the bench, the coach should tell them what they need to do to start. If they are not traveling, the coach should let them know waht they need to do to make the away games. If you listed to Buzz Radio, you know why I like Colin as the coach. Beyond that, I like the coaching staff as it is. At the very least, Steve Morrow must stay. The defense has talent, albeit young, but needs organization. But the ex-Gunner in charge of them, and the organization will come.

On the other hand, if the Burn hires Mo, and he fails, "Mo must go!" has a great ring to it.

12. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post scripts.

Arsenal, I do not think that Colin will stay if he does not get the job. I do not beleive that he will accept a job as assistant after being a head coach. He has spoken as other opportunities in the MLS, and in England or Ireland as well. I would not be surprised to see him take another job as assistant coach, but not with the organization that effectivly fired him.

Is it possible that one of the mysterious two candidates used to play for the Burn, scouted for them, served as interim coach when Big Dave was fired, and now coaches the Spurs?

I mention two year contracts. I write this because Jeffries let the team in a big hole, and the new coach should have a year to rebuild, and another year to see waht he can do with the team.

13. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another post script.

Note that it might not be possible to come to terms with the candidates. For instance, suppose Hyndman is the top candidate. He is interested, but comfortable at SMU. The Burn are unable to offer enough money to get Hyndman to leace his comfort zone. Same thing about the coach from Montreal Impact; he might really want to get out of soccer for awhile. Or Brian Bliss is hired before the Burn can get him. In these scenarios, the Burn may be foreced to select the least preferred candidate.

14. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was afraid of that and I won't blame him one bit. However I do agree that keeping Steve Morrow is a must. Heck he could even do the Tony Adams, David O'Leary, and George Graham and take over the club as far as I am concerned.

15. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there are to mystery men. Morrow might be one of them. He has played at the highest level and has the advantage of playing in the MLS recently.

You'll never beat Steve Morrow!

16. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    well it's somewhere in the next 19 days. Sure the new GM said "like to hire by MLS Cup" but that does not mean he will for sure.

Sure would be nice if the DMN was able to put some more shoe leather into it.

17. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    I'd place a decent bet that Colin won't stay if he doesn't get the head coaching job. I am sure someone with his playing resume who has also proven successful as a coach (in the A-league, no verdict on six games with Jefferie's team) would have opportunities that would be better than returning to a club who decided they couldn't have you in charge. And I would bet the farm that Morrow only stays in Colin stays. Otherwise he's gone.

18. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hearing some rumblings that the six is down to three. But I have not been able to get confirmation.

Colin has told me before that he is interested in staying in MLS, either as a head coach or ast.
    But I don't know if he meant with Burn or not.