Burn back to Cotton Bowl - really!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by chazsoccer, Nov 13, 2003.

1. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Family friendly is fine (as well as expected) but what about family non-friendly......as in a no kids zone like was discussed in the other thread.....any mention of that??

2. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Leave it up. Then when times are bad, the team's not playing well, whatever, you can always have it to say, "Well, things could be a LOT worse..."

Incidently, is it too much to think that with this move, coupled with the coaching change, the Burn have a reasonable chance to finish near .500 next year? I cannot help but think the players were (affected/effected) by the negativity the move to Southlake created. This has GOT to feel like a second chance for them.

3. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well this is just like the jefferies firing. Saw it on the email list and thought it was a joke.

*starts to headbang to the good news.*

Maybe wagner came and read the posts about sucklake. Either way it is great news and I am a happy man.

Whoever said ROB might not come back, I bet he really considering about staying now. Maybe a few others and this will help with the ysa.

Now if we can only get Ray Parlour to join us next season. :eek:

El Jefe, keep the Dragon stadium sucks thread as a memorial from what happened to the Burn so we can say went went to hell and rebounded back up top.

4. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    This is a VERY good sign.

OK. My last post for the day.

I know it doesn't mean much coming from a non-local, but all I'd really ask is no jock-rock crap.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot to bring that up, but Mr. Elliott gave me the impression he'll be doing whatever it takes to maximize fan support for the Burn, whether it be from the youth soccer crowd, Latino fans, or hardcore supporters.

The other thing he brought up several times is his goal to put the best possible product on the field, starting next year at the Cotton Bowl.

6. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Can I get in a little "Told ya so" from my last post on the doom and gloom subject. What do you all have to say about HSG now?? Boy... I'm so happyt I could spit.. Opps I just did!!!!

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Jefe, change the title to "0" games left, and then leave it week.

Please, then take it down.

The hard cores made their point with the paper bags.

We made our point with the stadium.

NOW I have the biggest BURN OFFSEASON SICKNESS I'VE HAD IN YEARS

the Cotton Bowl
    An allocation
    three top picks
    did I mention the Cotton Bowl?

Can you say SCORCHED EARTH POLICY!

As happy as we are, what are you betting the players are rocking?

8. TomEaton

TomEaton Member

Mar 5, 2000
    Champaign, IL
    Congratulations! Never have MLS fans been so excited about a team moving back into an old, cavernous, non-soccer-specific stadium!

Thank you to HSG for not only realizing their mistake, but fixing it. How often does that happen?

9. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sure some players are saying they will play for free or the bare min.

10. jlo

jlo New Member

May 18, 2000
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Congratulations, Burn fans. I am happy for you. Maybe next year will be better now.

11. Valerie Simmons

Sep 2, 2000
    Burkburnett, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, guys, I don't know. Southlake was starting to grow on me. I wasn't getting lost anymore, and we'd just found the Krispy Kreme down the street.

ducking beer cans!!!! Throw a bunch! You can drink now, you know!!! Even our young 247.

I'm still dreading to hear who's NOT going to be on the team next year, based on the Cybersoccer report. I wanted to win with the guys we had. I wanted to keep Ryan, Chivas, Paul and Ronald. There's still so much bad news to come. The point about this being announced three weeks after our last game for this season is a good point. I'd almost stopped checking this board.

12. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Season tickets ordered. Kudos to the Burn front office. Not easy losing $500k nor admitting a mistake. Hopefully Burn fans will respond with a record attendance year, plus packing the new house in 2005.

13. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unreal

Out of nowhere.

Every night for the last 9 months I have lamented leaving the Cotton Bowl and dreaded teh next 12 months.

Un-frigging believable and FANTASTIC news.

Somewhere, Sweeper33 is drunk and streaking. I almost feel like joining him.

Greg Elliot: My New Hero.

14. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I too am in shock, haven't read the whole thread, and am very happy by this decision.

I will be buying tickets to this season. yay.

15. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, gang. You deserve it.

17. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is sureal. I am stunned.

I suppose I must have had a premonition, since I bought a $110 750 ml bottle of Bushmills 21 Year Old Malt Irish. Now I have a reason to drink it.

18. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    This has got to be a great boost for team morale --
    and obviously a boost for the Dallas fans. It's boosting MY morale, and I live in NYC!

It's great to know we have organizations in the league that listen to the fans and admit mistakes.

19. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    This means that when I watch the goals at MLSnet next season, I won't have to skip over the ones the Burn scores at home!

20. JCUnited

JCUnited Member

Oct 7, 2002
    South Bend, IN
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let me gladly apologize now to all Burn fans. About a month ago, there was a thread for a petition against Southlake and I posted something to the effect of "quit bitching, cause you're stuck there till Frisco".

I was wrong. I was wrong. I was wrong. I humbly and gladly apologize and congratulate you all on the great news.

Maybe now I should post a thread telling United fans to just accept that they will never leave RFK. Maybe I can be way wrong again :)

21. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats!

Great news for you guys and the rest of the league. The Cotton Bowl has history, and grass, and evidently you have a front office that actually listens to its fans. I can only dream of such things . I actually turned off Shootout games at Southlake because its horrible on TV, but you guys already know that. Have a beer for me on Opening Day next season and I'll try to make a game or two next year.

Cheers!

22. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    HALLELUJAH!

So happy for Burn fans. And Burn players. And especially for me. I'll be a much happier person knowing that a quality team is back on real grass, back on one of the best fields in the league in fact. I'll be watching Burn home games on tube and I'll probably go to some. Skipped it last season.

I KNEW THIS WAS DOABLE. I KNEW IT. So all you jaded pragmatists who are snagged on the company line, keep this in mind as an example of a quantum leap in what's possible. Not long ago people laughed off the idea of World Cup in the US, soccer on TV w/out commercial interruptions, soccer specific stadiums, MLS teams in the Open Cup and so on. But this league does have some people with their hearts in the right place and their heads NOT up their asses.

Greg Elliot now looks like a hero, but it was Andy Swift who had to take the fall. That's the sad part for me.

23. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is great on so many levels...

-The office is now one of the best in the league for admitting their mistake and listening to the fans

-The fans will be pooring in the Cotton Bowl

-The Latino fans will be back

-The players most certainly are having a party

-BEER (ok this doesn't help me, but it sure seems to make everyone else happy)

-The seperation of Family and Festive side

-$12 walk up GA, can't get any better than that.

And as someone else posted earlier, this is going to be the hardest offseason to have to wait through, but at least our mouths will be watering instead of dreading next season.

GO BURN! 2004! SCORCHED EARTH POLICY! COTTON BOWL BABY!

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    El Jefe & 3rdDegree, does this ring a bell?

;)

25. The Vorpal Blade

The Vorpal Blade New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    Today, I have awoken from a horrible nightmare. I was in a coma for the entire regular season, and I was tormented with frightful delusions that we played the whole season in a HIGH SCHOOL STADIUM in some place called Southlake. There was fake turf. There was NO BEER. The Latin flavor was replaced by snot-nosed WASPish kids and their cell-phone wielding mothers. I didn't pay attention to the won-lost record, because I was so out of my head in this delirium, all I cared about was trying to wake up. And today, I awoke to great relief to find that YES WE STILL PLAY IN THE COTTON BOWL ON THAT BEAUTIFUL PITCH! HOW GOOD DOES IT FEEL? AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!