Bundesliga 2023/24 - Wolfsburg or Bayern? - It's the same question as the years before

Discussion in 'Germany Mädels: NT and Frauen-Bundesliga' started by Lohmann, Aug 9, 2023.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    you got to forgive YTRS, the BS forum threads for the NWSL tend to be dead these days. In part cuz off season, but even avid soccer fans over here tend to avoid it like the plague cuz of perceived left wing politics, But give creds, by Washington Spirit hiring the Barca coach. We’ll turn yet those “kick & chase”-ers into ardent, patient ticky tacky students, lol.

surprised your no fan of Netherlands or Ajax—even the Bundi impacted with Lev’s coach & Stroot amoured everything Dutch these days lol. But I definitely cheered on the hard working Ajax with its mostly domestic, B grade players(only one NT regular) vs another overtly bloated club in Roma(who don’t even let its own top Italians, to be allowed to play its best according to their own abilities/ala Bayern). Similar heads up for Brann with its mostly domestic squad & FC Paris(who I remember main star, Thinney was previously so dished by the French soccer aficionados).
    Same way would have been neat to see a working man’s Bundi club mostly German players like Bremen or Essen take on Euro elites as well in the Champions League

2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    You have responded with nothing of substance to anything I posted. Head to head competition is the best indicator of team's competitiveness. If NWSL team's beating your Euro teams (even while we start our bench), isn't an indicator, what is? You have offered nothing but your bias.

Esther is a player who has played in both Europe and the NWSL. I think she is much more qualified to speak than you are on the topic. Your use of silly gifs portray you as immature and without substance in your answers.

As for the teenagers, we have the college game where most of them develop. That would be the equivalent to the academy system over there. Just because it has a different name and feeder system doesn't mean we do not have developmental system for the pro teams. By the way, how many German teams are in the Champions League still? How many World Cups have you won?

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am not sure which threads you are on but we do not talk politics in the US threads. But thanks for admitting you are a Trumper.

I came to the German forum because I was interested in why they are performing poorly in the champions league and at the World Cup after being a strong women's soccer country in the past.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think what should be interesting for the fans of the NWSL, is seeing how the various US/North American players react to his tactics...:unsure:

Barca's style based around a well defined system, where removing individual players freedom of expression in attack, also comes with a demanding and very oppressive possession dominant style of mid-field play; and I can imagine some fans/players might find this incredibly frustrating to follow early into their new coaches reign.

I wish Wolfsburg would just stop taking players from Twente lol. Leverkusen recruiting the impressive Levels from PSV, and Hoffenheim recruiting another strong young defender like Doorn from Ajax, I'm constantly confused how Wolfsburg as one of Europe's most prominent clubs, remain so blind to their lacklustre history constantly recruiting Dutch talent from Twente...:unsure:

5. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I feel this seasons UWCL randomness owes a lot to the emerging disparities with high quality coaching... as from last season it was already becoming a factor between the established clubs whenever they faced each other, but with wider fitness/athleticism on a closer parity, it's also become the biggest factor in deciding the fates of more lower ranked teams in this seasons competition too.

I mean... just look at how Wolfsburg would throw away last seasons final... and then think how similar it would be to the contrasting 1st and 2nd half's of football witnessed in the Frankfurt Vs Barcelona match for this seasons group stage.

Tactically, we currently see Germany's best clubs frustratingly stuck in remedial class compared to teams like Lyon and Barcelona. And what makes this worse, is seeing them still put themselves in a position to succeed, simply based on good athleticism, and strong quality of individual talent.

Besides Straus-ball Bayern deciding to remove all signs of their past domestic based identity, I'm sure Wolfsburg and Frankfurt over the next few years will still be very domestic based in their first team identities.

I mean, you could very easily see Frankfurt having around 9 German nationals starting games for them next season, with Wolfsburg if they sign Linder, potentially able to start anything from 6 to 8 German internationals too...:speechless:

But if your trying to view this through the lens of being underdogs, I'd think current Frankfurt the closest 1.Bundesliga will have to replicating the home grown nature of a team like Ajax.

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    It seems like you only came here to whine about my opinion on the NWSL not being a prime destination for elite German, or wider European talent anymore; in the process only further invalidating any notion the NWSL home to the highest quality/best football clubs in the world.

Taking offense to someone saying "the NWSL with the largest player base in global women's football, can't even roster enough of it's own US/North American talent, to produce teams at the same, or higher standard of European rivals...:rolleyes:"

And this not even meant to be a controversial opinion either, as it was intended to speak on the nature of American clubs spending a lot money, to recruit various Euro players a level or two levels below the elite we see within UEFA competition, to complete squads I'd personally expect to see predominantly filled with supposedly superior North American talent.

How you can have a US league filled with players from rival elite Euro leagues, who either don't need, or want them anymore, and still call yourself home to the pinnacle of women's club football...:confused:

7. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    DFB-Pokal
    Frankfurt - Freiburg 2:1(1:0)
    Martinez(25), Hanshaw(52) - Steuerwald(87)

Frankfurt in quarterfinal against Duisburg.

blissett repped this.
  8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Freiburg tried to mount a late fight back Vs Frankfurt, but if your being honest... Frankfurt would win this cup contest without ever needing to play close to their maximum level.

The big positive for Frankfurt probably coming with Doorsoun's continued strong run of form this season, with the negative being how Freigang still appears to be disconnected from everyone else on the field...:unsure:

But if Freiburg's only real positive right now is them already being safe from any relegation concerns, the early cup exit should allow their coaches to fully focus on rebuilding their team for next season now.

9. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is Peter's first u-20 squad selection for 2 friendlies Vs Spain, and Mexico (u19 CONCACAF champions..o_O), with her talking about these games being preparation games for the coming WC.
    Kett/Baum -------------------- Alber/Steiner ------------------- Zicai/Nachtgall
    ------ Janzen/Zdbedel ------------------------------ Shehitler/Platner --------
    -------------------------------- I.Acikgoz/V.Diehm ---------------------------------
    D.Acikgoz/Hils --- Pucks/Ritter --- Veit/Axtmann --- Gloning/Schneider
    ------------------------ Von Schrader/Schmid/Adamczyk ----------------------

But after the last u-20 WC being a complete disaster for Germany in preparation/squad selection, here's my question... what is Nia Szenk doing in the Swiss league to get into the u-20's ahead of known quantities like Bartz, and Bender, who've proven time and again to be strong junior international talents...?

I also don't understand why, or how Nachtgall in the u20's ahead of a more talented Bartz either..:cautious:; but fully presume Bender's ACL tear, the main reason behind the wnt coaches not even realising she still exists lol...:rolleyes:

10. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Essen - Leipzig 4:4(2:4)
    Elmazi(3), Kowalski(25p, 51), Rieke(59) - Larsson(14), Fudalla(26, 28), Kempe(39)

blissett and hotjam2 repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    excellent offensive match, helped that Essen got out of its comfort zone of it’s usual rectangular defensive setup—but paid the price with allowing 4 goals.
    I’ve noticed previously Leipzig a very good, hustling, 1st half team, but later tends to run out of gas. My book, the two best Leipzig players, Fudelia & Hipp, were all over the field. Hope Leipzig can retain 1st Div for next season. They did recruit the vet, Larsson, who was part of Sweden’s strong performing WC squad, so guessing the club lame money to spend
    Kowalski had an great game for Essen, unfortunately she’s on line from Wolfsburg, but who might be wanting her back after this performance

12. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hoffenheim - Bremen 1:1(1:1)
    Janssens(45+4) - Dieckmann(45)
    Peng saves penalty by Feldkamp(17)

Köln - Bayern 0:5(0:3)
    Dallmann(18), Hechler(34og), Schüller(45+3), Stanway(52), Damnjanovic(64)

Full game

Highlights

blissett repped this.
  13. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  14. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Frankfurt starting 11 is exactly what you expect to see from Arnautis, but Stroot has brought back Hendrich, while leaving out both Endemann, and Wilms, from his starting 11.

It probably very smart of Stroot to leave Wilms out of his starting 11, I do wonder though if he wouldn't be better served also leaving out a rather ineffective Huth from the CAM role, and just going with Popp - Pajor as his front two within a 4-4-2...:unsure:

I like Huth, but she's not come close to the levels she would normally provide a few years ago, and continues to underwhelm this season as the replacement for Blomqvist, while Hagel struggles to find form, and Brand struggles to do anything lol...:rolleyes:

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Comfort zone, lol... whatever Högner is saying to his players before they face Leipzig, I think he really needs to stop, as whatever he's doing see's his players transform into complete madwomen, losing all notion of tactical discipline, choosing to instead charge forward with pure reckless abandon lol.

It's amazing... but over 3 consecutive games now, Essen's players have found themselves routinely exposed defensively Vs Leipzig, in ways that feel completely out of character for a Högner coached team lol.

It's literally like Leipzig are the red cape wielding matador, and Essen the overly aggressive bull completely blinded by the intent to crush all before them lol. And I don't know why this happens to Essen whenever they face this one particular club lol...:confused:

Fudalla might be my most annoyingly frustrating female player to watch lol. Small, slow, not presenting any sign of elite level physical conditioning, yet Fudalla still somehow posses the shooting technique of a world class forward..
    [​IMG]

Leipzig should be able to attract even more strong domestic and foreign talents over time; but like you say, it requires they first establish themselves as a 1.Bundesliga club.

And like Gräwe, while I see Kowalski moving to a stronger club one day, I don't ever see it having her returning back to Wolfsburg. Even if she a better CAM than Huth, and Xhemaili, I don't see Kowalski wanting to return to a club where she'd be competing with multiple international talent for a starting role...:cautious:

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wolfsburg Vs Frankfurt HT: 0-0

If you want to see why Wolfsburg unable to beat Paris FC and qualify for UWCL this season ... just watch the opening 45 mins tactical no show that was their first half display Vs Frankfurt...:thumbsdown:

And looking at the away side, I feel like Frankfurt have had it VERY easy today. Lots of easy possession allowing their FB's to get involved in the attack, and all 3 forwards able to gather the ball and attack huge amounts of space centrally too. If they lead 0-1 at HT, it would have been completely 100% based on general play.

17. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wolfsburg have had a MAJOR issue with their CM for two seasons now, but at present it's almost guaranteed to prevent them from having any realistic chance of regaining their league title...:cautious:

Both Huth and Lattwein within the 3 mid-field are complete trash, with a 100% healthy Oberdorf the only reason their defence not more overwhelmed facing Frankfurt's attack today.

And wow... I don't know what Stroot thinks he's seeing to believe SJJ 100% match fit...:confused:. Unable to control basic passes, unable to pass to anyone else, and worst yet unable to run at full speed lol. There's no reason to rush her back either, when Endemann in such positive form.

18. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm going to say it again too... Anyomi is gradually looking a superior player than Freigang...:whistling:

Hanshaw also completely controlled the left, making SJJ completely irrelevant.

And for as bad as Lattwein looks in a more advanced CM role today, I think Gräwe looks to be a significantly better as a DM/CM within a more tactically demanding Frankfurt mid-field..:speechless:

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

1-0 Wolfsburg... OG from Johannes....:thumbsdown:

20. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wolfsburg win FT: 3-0 and the first thing that comes to my mind is, Frankfurt... Frankfurt... Frankfurt....
    [​IMG]

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly like it always is with Frankfurt, facing tougher opposition it's obvious they'll only ever be able to achieve a certain level as long as their coach sticks with this horrible diamond formation. And today, yet again we'd see them look just as good as their more prestigious opponent, and still manage to remain completely toothless in the one area that counts most... scoring goals...:(

Frankfurt's mid-field spending a lot of time in complete control of the match tempo, only having to concern themselves with a very strong performance from Oberdorf preventing them from being able to do what they really want to do, which is create more chances through the middle.

But regardless of the opening goal being a complete farce, you end up watching Frankfurt still maintain a mature level of control over a game you look at their forwards Anyomi - Freiganag - Prasnikar and ask... so, when is the coach going to change this so his team can actually score some damn goals...:rolleyes:

Arnautis has a good team now, with some very good players. But damn... talk about repeating the same mistakes, stupidly believing your going to see something better...:confused:

22. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wolfsburg produce another mess, but this time Stroot finding himself lucky enough to see his team comfortably win a game they probably deserved much less...:cautious:

No Rauch for a 2nd match now also confirming Wolfsburg's prior highly effective approach of a high pressing/counter pressing 4-2-3-1, now replaced with a mid block 4-3-3, where everything seems held together by Oberdorf having to always be elite lol.

What makes this situation frustrating though, is knowing how Stroot could just drop Huth, reverting back to 4-2-3-1, where the back 4 can receive better protection from counter attacks, and Hagel allowed to do what Huth can't, by providing the team with with quicker progressive passing through the middle.

If dropping Wilms was the right decision, then not starting Oberdorf - Lattwein as a double 6, with Hagel as the CAM is surely what Stroot needs to do next; also acknowledging that Endemann 100% legit, and already the teams most effective wide forward right now...:coffee:

23. Lohmann

Lohmann Member+

Arminia Bielefeld
    Germany
    Feb 24, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    More referee controversy when Lattwein made contact with Johannes but no foul was given.
    Wolfsburg - Frankfurt 3:0(0:0)
    Johannes(57og), Lattwein(85), Endemann(90+3)

Freiburg - Duisburg 1:1(0:0)
    Minge(90+4) - Ries(65)

luka74 and blissett repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Obi is coming to Bayern

Lohmann repped this.
  25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1875 Batfink, Feb 12, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2024
    Having Oberdorf remain in 1.Bundesliga for a few more years is great, as it continues her pattern of aggressively ignoring the ridiculously inflated status of the WSL lol...:giggle:

But is her moving to Bayern really a forward step..? As Bayern under Straus would appear to me more like a sideways step in her career, or potentially even a backwards step if Oberdorf is leaving Wolfsburg for any realistic idea of being part of a strong UWCL team...:unsure:

And it also needs to be said, with this news it makes my belief Harder replacing Magull even dumber than I originally thought too. Knowing now Oberdorf comes to Bayern, it all but confirms Lohmann (a genuine Oberdorf level CM talent) about to be kicked out of the same Bayern backdoor...:thumbsdown:

luka74 repped this.