Buffalo Expansion!

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Mimir19, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    This is a notice to every soccer fan that follows the USL.

Over the past months a loosely formed organization was created to look into soccer in WNY. At first we noticed the lack of a community for WNY Soccer. What we then found was that there is a need for a true professional club in Buffalo, NY. A professional club could be successful in the city if it was created properly.

It is with this in mind that we have created The Western New York United Soccer Club.. We hope to have a professional soccer club playing in Buffalo within the next 18 months.

I am hoping that you all would take the time to check out our website and our Western New York Soccer Community. Anyone and everyone is welcome to join in and work with us as we near our goal. I would like to espescially invite those of you from the WNY region to check out what we have to offer the area. Get involved, we can use the support of those WNY'ers that are devoted to soccer and understand the truly grass roots movement that is afoot in the US.

2. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I'm not certain of this, but I believe that the Rhinos owner has said that if anyone tries to put a team in Buffalo, he'll try to block it (and I believe he has the right to based on geographical proximity).

I have absolutely no details and can't remember where I heard that.

3. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I don't remember hearing anything like that.

I think...think there is some rule along those lines but it depends on the level of the club. For example, Hampton Roads plays in the A - league, but Williamsburg has a PDL team. Since they play in 2 different leagues, there is no conflict.

Williamsburg, VA is about 1 hour up the road from Hampton Roads.

If I were you guys, and I support what your trying to do, I would start small and go with a PDL club. Later build up to a semi - pro D3, still later move up in the A. Finally you would be able to apply into what ever league replaces the MLS.

4. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Right on houndsguy.. Your explanation of the USL boundaries rules are just what I know them to be.. We have a three stage plan that will take around 12-18 months.. At that point we will be a very competitive USL club.

5. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    What's the financial plan? Where will the fields be? Have you contacted or linked up with any of the bigger youth clubs? (Buffalo Premier, Buffalo-Niagara, Riverside, Germania, Deleware, etc...?) Why haven't I heard about this?

6. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Lets put a NFL team in Rochester. This idea is not good. If you have the money and the backing to put a USL team in Buffalo, how about trying to connect with the Rhinos. We dont need two teams within an hour of eachother.

Buffalo doesnt have the capacity to support another professional level sport, how many does it already have?

1. Bills
    2. Sabres
    3. Destroyers
    4. Bandits
    5. Bisons

We dont need soccer team in Buffalo too.

7. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Yes we do have the need for a soccer team in Buffalo.. Be it a USL team or whatever... The market is there for a team, espescially with all the soccer people in Buffalo, including the founders of Sam's Army.. We have quite the following..

Wow, someone bashing the spread of US soccer on bigsoccer.. Wierd man.

8. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This statement might make sense if we were each trying to fill 65000 person stadiums in order to meet our multi-million dollar payrolls. But alas, this is not the case.

The Buffalo indoor team was drawing 5000 or more a game, but folded because they couldn't afford the cost of renting the Arena.

I think provided we are realistic with our stadium choice (1000-2000 people...low rent cost....) I see no reason why this isn't financially viable.

In addition, the only real competition we have during soccer season is baseball and lacrosse. Hmmm lets see... Rochester has those too, and still draws 10000 fans a game.

And don't worry about us cutting into your fan base. I am a Rhino season ticker holder and am familiar with the few people who make the trek to Rochester. I promise you, we'll renew our season tickets regardless. And if we don't you'll still have 9950 people at your games.

Yes but you're in Rochester. People in Buffalo do!

9. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Who said Jerlon was in Rochester?

10. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that's the only thing that would make much sense based on his posts on Big Soccer thus far, now isn't it?

Do you have anything to add to this discussion Tick?

11. MikeScott8

MikeScott8 New Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I personally feel a lower level club in Buffalo would be a good thing. Especially if they hook up with the Rhinos as a devlopmental squad. I would make the trip out for a few games a year.

And if the new stadium is built in Rochester and Rhinos go MLS then Buffalo could go A-league!

Mike

12. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Wow. I am glad someone is also looking to bring a team in the Buffalo area. Buffalo could definitly support a PDL franchise. The Blizzard did ok, and the Bisons don't draw so as long as there are no games Thursday nights I believe it would be a huge success. As far as a place to play I would have to say that the UB old football stadium is decent. As long as the fake turf was taken out and facilities for bathrooms/looker rooms were put in it would be a great place to see a game. There are definitly other possibilities. ECC's New South Campus Jim Ball stadium comes to mind. Other places include high schools or even a new small town supported SSS in Williamsville, Hamburg or another large suburb. I am very interested in helping out and have done some research with a group about on getting a PDL team in Buffalo also. Glad to see this thread and now the secret is out!

Buffalo 716

13. Easybake15

Easybake15 New Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Rotary Field would be an awesome site. I always thought that it was shameful that Canisius never had a grass field for football, and instead maintained that monstrosity on Main Street. A Koessler Center Re-Do probably isn't in the works, but would be an awesome idea. Same with the Deleware Park renovation - the golf course is a joke for 18 holes, but can't really be removed until it's replaced by another course elsewhere (which was on the plate before the city landed ass-end-up in a pile of financial $hite). A PDL/field complex in the park (across from the basketball courts near the zoo? share a parking deck with that zoo?) would be frickin awesome.

If you're going ground up and want a club to have it's own stadium, facilities, etc.., then city sites include a Rotary purchase, some waterfront land (the Pier still ain't doing anything, at least until National Fuel moves in), and that's pretty much it. There's room enough for a complex in Williamsville - that would encourage bonding or at least linkage with BPFC or the ASA, and I can't deny the wealth in the Clarence/Amherst/Williamsville area. Maybe it would be better to set up shop in the suburbs, and get your foot in the door.

P.S. - the name really is pretty garbage. My dream would be something in the "FC Buffalo" range - concise, and you could rip off the Barcelona Logo if need be. And at least enquire about the "Stallions" franchise from Sal What's-his-name - you might get it cheap.

14. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Well, there are good and bad things about this idea from the Rhinos' perspective. The best thing is that we get a ready-made rival within easy driving distance. The worst thing is that the Rhinos lose their regional presence. If they ever actually get the stadium built (I'm not sure it'll ever happen), it'll be tough to fill 20,000 seats from Rochester alone. They'd need to start promoting in Buffalo and Syracuse and promote themselves as western NY's team (kinda like the Bills do).

Buffalo deserves a shot. They have some die-hard soccer fans, and they deserve a chance to find out if they can fill out a stadium with soccer moms and make it work. I just worry about their team not making it, but taking the Rhinos down with them.

15. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe D3 but not another A-League team

Outfit the team in the Jamaican National team kit and call the team the Soldiers.

16. houndguy

houndguy New Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Re: Maybe D3 but not another A-League team

Ugh!

17. Michael Russ

Michael Russ Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    Show me the Money

I think a PDL team in Buffalo makes great sense.
    The increased awareness of soccer in Buffalo could end up increasing the traffic up the I-90 to Rochester.

My biggest issue is where is the money going to come from. With PDL this might not be as big of a concern.

Does anybody know of any professional teams that are owned by a corporation consisting mainly of fans who buy shares?

I though I heard something about the Green Bay Packers having that type of ownership.

Could this type of thing work in Buffalo?

18. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    I think the Rochester Red Wings are fan-owned as well, though I'm not sure.

19. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    If New York State and all of the necessary agencies accept this proposal to put a USL team in Buffalo, what are the chances that they will still fund a new stadium in Rochester, very little.

I have been for Rochester going MLS for years and it seems that if PaeTec park gets built we have a real chance at it. But PaeTec isin't even a for sure yet, and i dont see another professional team in WNY as a help for this happening. NYS legislature saying;

'If we build you a stadium we will have to build Buffalo a stadium'

It might be a viable option to start it as the developmental program for the Rhinos when/if they get into the MLS.

20. Tick

Tick Member

Sep 30, 2000
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah, I guess I was thinking of a competing A League franchise. If it were PDL or D3 and had a relationship with the Rhinos, I think both cities would benefit, much like the Sabres and Americans.

The Rhinos would get a chance to keep an eye on players and see how they develop rather than buying the A League all star team every season, and would also have fans in Buffalo who would pop over for games once in a while to catch the players they saw develop.

Meanwhile, Buffalo would get soccer, would have a chance to establish a fan base and see if moving up is reasonable, get some decent players sent down from the Rhinos, be able to watch their favorite players even if they move up.

Still, though, if things go well in Buffalo, there's that point in the future where both teams are trying to be in the same league (A or MLS). That's what I'm nervous about.

Of course, it doesn't matter what I think. What matters is what the Rhinos' owner thinks and what powers he has regarding regional rivals.

21. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Buffalo needs a team. Who cares if its A-League and Rochester and Toronto both have teams. Competition and rivalries are what make sports great, and the addition of a team in Buffalo would create awesome match ups. I think Buffalo should start out with a PDL team and then move up if it is successful. We are also talking about the A-League(Second Division) and their are tons of other sports who have second division teams so close togther. Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse all have AAA baseball teams, it would be great if they all had A-League teams too. Hopefully all this won't matter and Rochester will be in MLS (where they belong) and Buffalo can be its feeder team.

22. slip2break

slip2break New Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I highly doubt NYS has any say in the matter. I don't know that for certain, I am just saying I highly doubt it. And just a professional team existing in Buffalo is an independent event that will have not hurt Rochester's chances at getting a stadium. In fact, it might help. If the legistlature sees that soccer is expanding it's presence in the state.... it can only help Rochester's chances.

I can safely safe that the Buffalo organization will not be asking for a SSS specific stadium anytime in the near future. If we do, in the next 5 years, it will be self financed and much much smaller then the PaeTec Park proposal (possibly by as much as a factor of 10 times smaller)

Well atleast you can see ways that a Buffalo team can help a Rochester team. That's a start.

23. Jerlon

Jerlon Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Western NY
    Yea, its a start, im all for soccer in Buffalo, and all of western NY I just dont want it to hurt the Rhinos in anyway, and im a little level headed.

Have any of the USL leagues show interest in expanding into Buffalo?

24. Mimir19

Mimir19 Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Buffalo, NY
    I am sure that the USL would like as many teams as possible to join.. It's just the matter of finding people willing to operate and own the franchise..

25. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    Anyone know how much an A-League franchise costs? Or a PDL team? Can't find much info on the net about actual franchise fees.