Buddle traveling to Germany to sign with FC Ingolstadt [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by HouseHead78, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It was actually late 70's, so I was going off memory and you're off by two decades.

So, you ask.

Ingolstadt is a corporate town. People speak English, especially if he shops in upscale markets.

2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ten years ago, thirty years ago, who cares? The point remains that there was absolutely no reason for you to mention the adoption of the Euro other than to appear like a know it all, something you clearly enjoy TRYING to do.

I certainly agree that many are likely to speak English in Ingolstadt (that's been my experience in my German travels). Instead of using google translate, that means he has to go out of his way to ask people. That's an inconvenience and might understandably make him feel a bit uncomfortable, which is exactly the sentiment he expressed in that rather innocuous quote you grabbed hold of. I have numerous friends who have lived abroad in different countries and almost all have said things to me similar to what Edson said about life in their new homes (especially during the first few months they were there).

Face it SFS, your original reaction to Buddle's quote was silly.

3. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia

Your reaction to SFS's post was equally silly, if not more so.

2 people repped this.
  4. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your reaction to his reaction to SFS's reaction to his reaction to SFS's original post was...I forgot too confusing.

Anyway, it looks like another victor or two should do it. Hopefully Buddle heals up and can go next week.

5. BM-Hattrick

BM-Hattrick Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Germany
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Btw, Ingolstadt is the fifth best team of the "rückrunde" till now. Buddles teammate Stefan Leitl is also tied for second best striker of the second half of the season with 8 goals in 13 games after the mid-season break. (I like numbers:D)

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    They're probably through already, at least when it comes to direct relegation. The relegation play off is still a remote possibility, and so far no 2. Bundesliga team has even won a single game there since it's introduction (in fact, the 2nd Bundesliga teams haven't even scored a single goal yet in the 4 previous play off games). But I'd guess 34 points will be enough this year to avoid the play off already anyway.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
  8. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bit, was just sharing an anecdote that was tangentially relevant. I wasn't really even making a point, I just liked my little Japan pharmacy story from a few years ago.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Quick update - Hertha, as expected, rolled all over Osnabrück. (Lasagna with a double).

FCI remains 7 points ahead of Joe Enoch's cadres with 4 matches left in the season.

10. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to an Osnabrück loss today, Ingolstadt are safe from relegation and can celebrate tomorrow during their home game against Erzgebirge Aue.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    FWIW, Osnabrück still has a shot to stay up but they can also go down directly because they're even on points with Oberhausen at 16-17 and two behind Karlsruhe at 15.

The Audis are safe (and currently in #14 spot)

13. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karlsruhe should have won instead of drawing today, but

- Robles takes out a player in the box for a penalty and yellow card
    - Robles saves the penalty
    - Robles hesitates on coming out on the subsequent corner = goal.
    - Robles gives a Seaman wave on the next corner = goal.
    - 2-2 final score.

14. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Buddle joined Ingolstadt, they had 12 points and were in 17th place. Since then, they have earned 23 points in 14 games and haven't lost in the last 8 games (5 wins and 3 ties). Buddle didn't necessarily put the team on his back, but he was a part of a very successful second half to guarantee another season in Profi-Fußball.

15. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddle was a second half sub in the game today against Aue. It ended 0-0 even with Aue going down to ten men after 23 minutes. According to the match report, in the 81st minute Buddle had a good chance at close-range header but missed the goal.

http://www.fcingolstadt.de/index.php?id=7&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=3839&cHash=ac81e58f87923756425b8cddefa84e98

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Anybody think that Buddle is very unhappy in Germany? I think he is quite homesick. I follow him on twitter and it seems he really misses LA and is thinking back on his decision to leave.

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What does he say?

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    leaving MLS and the Galaxy for a BL2 team was kind of an odd decision anyway. Soccer? Weather? Visibility to the US coaches? Odd.

19. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    Money dude. How much more apparent could it be?

20. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember at least one other good header chance late in the game, and he also had a pretty decent line on goal in the final couple minutes, but didn't hit his shot very hard so the keeper got to it fairly easily. He showed decent skill, a good sense of position, but his finishing was just barely off on a few occasions. IE, he's still American. ;)

Germany can be a difficult place to adjust to, especially a "smaller" city (ie, ~100k) like Ingolstadt. That said, he's got a contract until the end of the 2013 season, likes the situation at Ingolstadt, and I don't think he's going anywhere in the near future particularly since they aren't getting relegated.

21. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    He talks quite about how he misses LA and he retweeted a fan saying he can't wait to get back. It also seems that he pays for attention to the Galaxy than his own team. He was trying to get our goalkeeper the save of the week. He has done that stuff before.

22. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1000+ posts, so it's time for a new thread. Whoever starts the next one gets to name it.