Bryce Wegerle training in Scotland

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Very strange explanation from the official Livingston website:

http://www.livingstonfc.co.uk/index.html

:confused:

Sounds as if it's not even an official trial. Only training. Go figure.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Wouldn't he have work permit issues in Scotland? No point in a trial if he can't get a job.

4. davide

davide Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Well, it seems Roy Wegerle's mother is a native of Scotland and his grandfather is (was) from Germany. Bryce will probably be able to get a work permit.

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/players/roy_wegerle/

5. SJFC4ever

SJFC4ever New Member

May 12, 2000
    Edinburgh
    Well, allowing him to train can masquerade as a trial. If he impresses in training, then it could have the same effect as a a successful trial.

But this report is not so encouraging:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/livingston/3097540.stm

Livingston have just signed two defenders on frees, and took Fernandez (attacking mid) on loan from Celtic. They have also been tightening financially since they did not perform nearly as well last season.

6. chance24

chance24 New Member

Nov 15, 2000
    This guy has more stamps in his passport than Carmen Sandiego! Rumor was it was a done deal with Werder what happened?

7. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <The nephew of former Queens Park Rangers and USA striker Roy Wegerle has simply been given the chance to maintain his fitness with the West Lothian club.>>

How quickly they forget,the heck with Uncle Roy, his Dad Steve was a Hell of a player in his own right.....

8. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Steve

9. Reekie_Red

Reekie_Red New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    He's on trial at Livingston. Well, not really on trial, but Livi have given him permission to train with them to keep his fitness up.

He's apparently keen on a move to Scotland, and Aberdeen have shown some interest in him. Anyone know his details? Who'd he play for? Was it the Earthquakes?

What's he like as a player? Any good? Is he a US international player?

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, he played for Udiense's reserves for a year.

He apparently had a trial with the E-Quakes in the offseason but apparently it didn't work out (don't know whether the E-Quakes simply weren't interested or whatever).

http://www.mlsnet.com/content/03/st0304sjclb.html

Here's a bit of an article from last year that goes more in depth:

http://www.stpetetimes.com/2002/06/23/Sports/Pro_soccer_teaches_We.shtml

He's still young (20?) but has never appeared with the senior side. He also appears to have fallen off the depth chart for the youth teams (U20 or U23) he qualifies for.

With MLS, there's now a bit of a conflict concerning what the best course of action is for talented players coming out of high school. The three choices are MLS, College and Europe. They each have their pluses and minuses. Wegerle is a good example of the minuses of Europe. If you wind up in the wrong spot, or things go poorly for whatever reason, you can find yourslef lacking playing time and first team action. Your game may suffer and then you get passed on the youth national team depth charts by players who are performing and progressing closer to home.

I've never seen him play. I'm sure there's a few people here who have seen him that can give you an idea.

Basically, at the moment, his attractiveness to a side in Scotland is the UK passport so he doesn't present any work permit problems.

His uncle Roy is a bit of a tool but I don't hold that against Bryce.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Actually he was on their youth team, la squadra primavera. Italian clubs don't have reserve teams.

12. Reekie_Red

Reekie_Red New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Cheers for that. I was under the assumption that he had played for the Earthquakes for longer than that, as the SJ Mercury News had several sports reports detailing goals he had scored recently. But looking through the SJ Earthquakes player roster was fruitless ... and looking through the MSL website's player roster was also surprisingly fruitless. I just couldn't figure out who he was playing with ... or indeed who he had played for in the past. So cheers for the info, voros.

Seems he had a real wake up call in Italy that said to him that he would have to earn his bucks if he wanted to be a professional player.

I'm not too sure how he'd enjoy the Scottish game. You get very little time on the ball in the Scottish game, and it's all played at 100mph with very little room to show skill and flair. If he can consistently show some hard graft and not shy away from the fact that there are some really dull and boring games to be played here (it's not all glitz and glamour that you see coming from Rangers and Celtic) then he might just fit in.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't know that much about him. I know he was pretty well regarded out of high school and then things haven't gone so well for him.

He apparently really wants to play in Europe. He is young, so if Livingston or whoever thinks he's showing some potential he may be worth a flier.

He has never officially played in MLS. We wish all of our yanks abroad well, even ones with uncles who say ignorant things. Keep us updated if he sticks with a club in Scotland.

14. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Few tips..

First off..it's MLS, not MSL

Secondly, it's not surprising at all, we've been dealing with that crappy site for 8 years now.

When looking for info on MLS, it's probably better to go directly to a team's individual site, although SJ's site is terrible.

Not sure if this helps you at all

15. Reekie_Red

Reekie_Red New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oops. Bit of a typo there. Sorry folks.

Yeah, I tried the SJ site for any info, but the navigating your way through that site is a mighty task in itself. A simple search facility certainly wouldn't go amiss!

I might try going to the Udinese site to see if I can get anything from them.

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasnt more than a few weeks in the preseason, and he was never a rostered player so you wouldnt see him appear on the MLS or SJ homepage rosters.