Bruce thinks the Bulls are better!

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by ag nigrin, Feb 13, 2007.

1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    You should know better.

Neither Bradley nor Mo had the advantages that Bruce has. They drafted well for him, and have laid a nice foundation. Bruce has the DP, which is an advantage.

Of course, some of their pieces were 'win now' types (like Henderson, Meola). No matter who the coach they were gone this year. I can't argue with Bradley trying to win in years 3 and 4 with the older guys. He took his shot.

I thought Metros played well vs. DC United in 2004 playoffs. Unlucky.

Mo can be forgiven because of the circumstances- he never really had a shot.

I just think Arena's 'shot across the bow' was unnecessary. Bradley can't help whatever happened to Eddie Gaven (what DID happen, btw?), nor a good piece like Michael Bradley taking off for Holland.

MLS is funky in the sense that the regular season really doesn't mean much. So its pretty hard to judge a coach on wire-2-wire performance, when what really matters is how the players rise to the occasion in the playoffs. Something coaches have less control over.

I think Nicol has been the best coach overall, and Nowak the 2nd best in the last 5 years- but Nowak is in no way WAY above Bradley...he had some really nice pieces that jelled during his watch, and I think his tactics are questionable overall.

2. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, you are reading way too much into my post. I am NOT a Bradley hater. I was very disappointed he left the team. I said the team was CRAP. There was no comment about how fair anything was to Mo, or what support AEG gave Bradley.

Which is really what I think the problem is all along. You are putting your own spin on other people's words. Which indicates you are either a lawyer or politician wannabe. One question you avoided: Was the team last year any good?

I don't mince words, I usually say things quite clearly. That means: there is no reason to interpret what I say. If it isn't in black and white, I didn't say it.

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    A poor team that was mediocre by year's end.

But Bruce has inherited a MUCH better situation than Mo did beginning of last year.

Bruce wants to act likes he inheriting the team that Mo had (+ problems), but he basically had a free pass for a few months there (end of last season).

Bruce is better positioned, definently. Look, even Schopp should improve vs. coming in mid-August heat, etc. Wynne will be better. Altidore will be better. Your defense came together end of year. It was incredibly fortunate to get a guy like Wattereus so cheap (he's been wanting to come for years...just when Bruce cranks it up).

Van der Bergh was let go cheap- another lucky break.

Again, Arena insinuates that this was all his magic, but a lot of good fortune has come his way so far.

4. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Mo inherited a good deal of Bob Bradley's work, and everyone was praising him for it in the end of 2005. Every coach inherits a team, both good and bad. Good coaches keep the good and replace the bad with good. Mediocre coaches replace everyone, and in a few years get results. Bad coaches recruit Peter Canero and Taylor Graham (ok, it's a cheap shot, but it HAD to be said.)

Also, you are basing your opinion on just the team. Bruce said outright he didn't want the job unless he could build a training facility, etc. So, in many ways, you say he inherited a better situation, I say he negotiated one.

The best coach last year, in my mind, was Richie Williams. Notice that he is still around. You no doubt will argue that means that Bruce is reaping the benefits of Richie's success. I, on the other hand, will point out that Bruce recognized what was working and kept it.

But, the overall problem I have is that Bruce wasn't answering a question about the players. He was responding to what has improved for the club. He was talking about coaching staff, training staff, training facilities, player development, logistics, stadium, etc. I could go on and on.
    This is the quote you are basing all your arguments on, and you have misinterpreted the word organization. That's synomous for club, which is much, much more than just the players. The problem Bruce had was that in the MLS, all too often the club is seen as the players. Look at Europe. When you think of Manchester United, are they just 11 players? No, it's much more than that. And he recognised it IMMEDIATELY, before even signing with Red Bull.

5. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    when the season starts and progresses, lets just pray and hope that WE think the team is better.

who gives a crap what Bruce thinks.

6. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    If someone uses the bathroom in your house and makes a mess (think a recently potty trained kid) you aren't going to quietly clean in up... you are going to lash out at the culprit(s)...read as MOJO and BOZO! I am with Il Bruce on this one...

7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Well, one of them apparently is Tiger Woods.
    I guess Arena is willing to pull an LA Galaxy stunt: Tigers for the Arena

From the article:
    When reached for comment, Woods said he was “intrigued” by the offer.
    “It’s certainly intriguing,” Woods told the New York Post. “I’ve always enjoyed watching soccer...

8. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Who brought in CANERO, HENDO, GRAHAM, CILA, etc. Bruce can bitch if he wants to .... BOZO and MOJO trashed the team....

9. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bruce's track record and results at DC,National Team and Virginia speak for themselves. I thkin Mo's record with Red Bulls last year and his recruitment of Canero, Meola, Graham, etc speak volumes as well. Just think of how much better Amado played once Mo was sent packing. Bruce is a born winner, arrogant or not, we will be better, guaranteed.

10. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Who didn't play Wynne for long stretches of time? MoLexi. The backline was mostly from the Bradley era, except for Taylor Graham (aka The Whiffer), Steve Jolley who was ending his career and Todd Dunivant who was brought in by Richie Williams just prior to The Bruce taking charge -- and I doubt The Bruce wasn't involved in the decision.

11. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Do we really have to spend a lot of time debating what a non-fan thinks about Bruce's "potshot"? Ultimately - we'll see when the season starts if he really separates himself from his predecessors. The off season hasn't really knocked our socks off, but I'm going to be optimistic about Bruce's reign - until he demonstrates its time to turn on him.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Right now we have to stop the stupidity of negative posts on the "I hate Arena's arrogance" He is constructing a side that is going to be strong defensivly & offensivly. Right now the club is looking better on paper.

Waiting for Delgado to get up here and join the rest of the squad in Florida or at least the remaining pre-season camps. It doesn't do anyone any good to start pointing fingers of blame before the season starts.

13. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Well man ...If you have Einstein working with the Bullls under Lalas administration with a black piece a cloth over his head, he will be a blind participant in that organization, so, if any one come after Lalas and take out this cloth off the head of this people who working over there they will start seing what they was can't see before and that is a fact....

14. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does this mean??? Are you saying anybody could have made Red Bulls better just by Isiah Lalas leaving?????

15. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    You just answered your own question didn't you.

16. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have said 12 crack smoking spider monkeys could make better decisions, but he figured, Why get PETA involved?

17. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So, in pre-season so far, we've beaten the US U17s plus DCU and KCW?
    Please, correct me if I am wrong. :eek:

Metro

18. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correct

(but it means very little, I mean Byron freaking Alvarez led Metro in preseason scoring one year.)

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and one other thing :

I'm not willing to fight the battle of Gelsenkirchen 4-5-1 over and over again. Whatever you may have thought of him as a USMNT coach, he is no longer that and now the Red Bulls coach. GIve him more than a half a season before totally bagging on him in his new capacity.

20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    As a fan of MLS, I would like to see Red Bulls be strong and play attractive soccer. I just think its necessary for the league period.

My concern is that Bruce can put together a winning team, but with the 4-5-1, and Reyna in the middle- it will be winning, but boring.

That's another reason why the 2nd DP was so important. It would have made you guys clearly better, but if you would pick the right guy (I think Rivaldo), it would have also made for some magic moments as well. Real highlight stuff.

As much as I love Altidore's potential, I think its way too much to ask of him (and not realistic) to be a star yet. Woly? He's a bench guy. Eski could go on a tear. Richards could surprise.

But really that 2 DP is begging for a star forward.

21. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we do go 4-5-1 I wouldn't mind a truly great central defender or a def mid on the level of Serioux or Rico for that matter. Personally i agree we need 2 forwards and attack to be both winning and exciting but overall i would like to be winning either way....

22. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I dont care what formation they play with as long as they win.

23. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    will it
    will it
    will it ever end

24. metx

metx New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    The line up will not matter if we play with 12 men

25. Metrosuccess