News: Bruce Arena says Carlos Cordeiro has 'no business being' USSF president

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Suyuntuy, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think a lot of folks look at the DFB in Germany as a federation that gets a lot right.................

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking France may be the ideal at the moment. Incredible youth talent and just won the world cup. Will their women's side catch up and / or pass the US?

russ repped this.
  3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to youth development, I think Belgium's FA also does a great job. I listen to The Way of Champions podcast quite regularly, and one of Belgium's youth development directors was on the podcast about two years ago. It was a very interesting listen.

http://wayofchampions.libsyn.com/we...rector-of-coach-education-kris-van-der-haegen

I get that there are a lot of different variables with Belgium compared to the US, but the level of talent from that country relative to its population at least deserves a look to see what they are doing right.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great question... and it's not one I've heard asked before.

5. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The WNT may have some say in this.

6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what the WNT can say in terms of the domestic leagues. I have seen absolutely nothing from their representatives that suggests a reasonable idea as to how make independently viable a women's league.

russ repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    More combustible to the fire.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/03/1...cer-leadership-salzburg-haaland-leipzig-adams

'Where Are the Leaders in Our Federation?' Jesse Marsch's Impassioned Plea for U.S. Soccer

“It’s been a source of pride for all of us Americans that these women are so good. They’re the best in the world, and frankly they’re heroes,” Marsch said. “And then to see the lawsuit, it’s saddening and disgusting—first that there’s been a group of lawyers who … have only thought so much about winning the case that they’ve lost perspective on what this group of women has done for people in our country. And to refer to them that way, to speak about them that way, I think is a total lack of respect and intelligence.

“What’s more egregious,” he continued, “is when I heard there were people in Soccer House [U.S. Soccer’s headquarters] that hadn’t read what the lawsuit was going to be, and maybe there are people who did and they allowed for that discourse to happen. For me it’s a total lack of leadership, a total lack of judgment. For me, it’s frankly disgusting."

nobody, truefan420, TOAzer and 5 others repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good. Whether their right or wrong. I agree or disagree with their opinion. WE NEED PEOPLE TO CALL OUT USSF FOR BEING SHlT!!!

9. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    What are the odds that a Jay Berhalter loyalist slipped in the offending language to take down Cordeiro?

TOAzer repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    pretty much zero. That language was deliberate (and stupidly tone-deaf).

espola repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I don't understand is apparently the lawyers sent that out with no oversight? If that happened Cordeiro should have ripped them publicly for it and fired them on the spot. I don't understand why he would resign and take the blame if he had nothing to do with it.

12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    im sure there was a legal team at the USSF who was interacting with the legal team. Cordero was non-executive chairman of the board and this should have been an executive decision.

13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sound like you know a lot more about the mechanics of this. Mostly I was saying that if it were me I might resign but I'd sure have showed my wrath before that if I truly had nothing to do with epic fail.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  14. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Cordeiro didnt know that wording was going out,that's a level of incompetence greater than even Sawker Haus has mustered up in the past.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

President of USSF is a VOLUNTEER position.....

Herc Gomez is 100% spot on that this falls on the Board of Directors. They allowed this to happen, they rubber stamped it. Cordiero is simply the fall guy in all of this. Someone had to take the public blame, and he was the President, therefore he was the sacrificial lamb.

He did fire the law firm prior to resigning though, so there was at least some "wrath."

IndividualEleven, espola and Pegasus repped this.
  16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    this should be an executive decision that is approved by the board.

once it got out and they immediately lost the PR battle, someone’s head was going to roll.

I don’t know if it was presented to the board but I know that several board members were “shocked” about it and covered their ass with public statements even though they share some of the blame with Cordero.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm not communicating correctly here but by saying I would be mad if someone did that and I didn't know I'm sort of saying because no one seemed that mad maybe they did know and are now blowing smoke. The two options are only the law firm knew and they went totally rogue or someone or several actually did know. I'm kind of thinking no law firm would go totally rogue because they know they would be terminated and even their reputation besmirched.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Perhaps, he didn't want the job anymore.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's like Survivor. Who'll be voted out of Soccer House next?

russ repped this.
  20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I suppose is his point. The aim of that deliberation was the impression of Cordeiro the stupidity of the statement would create,

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully all of them

Winoman repped this.
  22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had there been a CEO in place, the CEO would have recommended either approving or rejecting the legal brief and brought this recommendation to the board.

US Soccer not having a functioning CEO was a big factor in this whole mess.

Pegasus and DHC1 repped this.