News: Bruce Arena says Carlos Cordeiro has 'no business being' USSF president

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Suyuntuy, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'm at that age already. I'm critical of our players, our federation, Bruce, and the sport of soccer in general that is getting used more and more to cleanse blood/drug money around the world.

2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #27 manfromgallifrey91, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    I think there is a few things that caused people to sour on Cordeiro instantly. One some of his comments are pretty inane and timed very poorly (lack of transparency on coaching hires, and even more so the recent USWMNT comments). All the travel he did to try and secure the WC left the sweeping changes needed at the fed on the backburner. Plus being the VP of Gulati did him no favors.

Dragging out the Berhalter hire, when it was clear he was getting the job as they only ever spoke to 2 people. They just wanted to distance themselves from the WC failure to hope backlash went away, but it only made things worse.

Letting the GM role dangle pretty meaningless without fully clarifying the role, then fully clarifying the role only after it was kind of leaked out. But when he does speak, he often gets hisself in trouble so that may be why.

He has done some good things as well, creating some boards that in theory are supposed to help with technical and marketing sides of the equation. But the same people involved with Gulati just got on the boards that were created, so its bad optics. Getting the aforementioned WC is good. Trying to restructure the organization is good, but if it is his idea to bring everyone to Chicago its a bad one (stands true if its Earnie's or whoevers as well).

He seems like a business guy there to grease the wheels, but his missteps only further angered an already angry fanbase. Personally I think he has done a decent job, and the CEO hire will be an important part of that.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Moving everything to Chicago is also a big source of discontent.

They've gone full Inner Circle.

4. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was fast.

Winoman and TOAzer repped this.
  5. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LMAO this Fed is a shitshow.

Winoman repped this.
  6. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now that actually playing on the field has been postponed until The Radiant Future decides to mosey on by....I guess The Chicago House ShitShow is the only show in town..... :coffee:

7. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My 11-year-old son ran his school assignment past me tonight.

It was to find 10 reasons to support an opinion. The opinion he was supporting was why the US Women's National Team was more successful and more accomplished than the men.

A sixth-grader can figure this out. Why USSF can't is beyond me.

appwrangler, TrueCrew, swedust and 3 others repped this.
  8. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did those accomplishments turn into real dollars? Cause the reality is no one cares about women’s sports. It’s harsh and not PC but at the crux of it people aren’t turning out in the same way for their program. Even with the extra support with everything going on. It’s still not a high level. Even with as trash as the men’s side has been it wouldn’t be close if they played each other. They produced more twice in WC years. If our men and Fed wasn’t so poorly run then they might not have even won out in those years. TV isn’t paying for their games at the same rate. Their payouts are structured differently then the men. Just because the feds are incompetent, it doesn’t and I still don’t now how their lawyers let them trip themselves up to this point, mean it’s a simple equal pay for equal job. Hell the women’s player pool isn’t even open it’s closed to the select few. The men’s pool while limited by bias is at least free market. Only real losers are us fans who are subject to this shit show.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Usually internecine wars occur to take control of something valuable.

The only thing valuable here is the reserves, and they're drying up faster than a pond in the Sahara.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good riddance.

After that legal brief, he deserved fired. As do those lawyers.

End of story.

11. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I wouldn't be surprised if MLS used this as an opportunity to seize additional influence. They are the most organized party involved and will ruthlessly use the chaotic situation to their benefit.

I'm not saying this as a criticism (as I have admiration for Garber as an advocate of his league) but I'm confident that this will work to MLS' favor and we'll see less transparency in how they interact with USSF rather than more.

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    This thread certainly took an interesting turn.

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I'm not sure how much of a cut that USSF gets from this, but --

"Mark Parker, Nike's president and CEO, confirmed the news in a recent earnings report that the 2019 [USWNT] stadium home jersey ... is now the top-selling soccer jersey ever sold on its website in one season. "

One of the clever marketing tricks was to sell the jersey in men's sizes also.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/wo...-becomes-nikes-highest-selling-soccer-jersey/

TimB4Last, Winoman and appwrangler repped this.
  14. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt props to them taking advantage of the situation. People are sympathetic and it was a great time to strike. I’d have done the exact same thing if I were in their shoes.

Men’s side being a joke helped. Jersey sales are great, fans in stands are even better but TV money is the MONEY. Until they start getting that it will never be the same. They won’t get that cause most of the world doesn’t tune it. They’ll get more for national games but the big money won’t come until the club leagues start making it too.

15. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That law firm should be gone unless somehow they were forced verbatim to right what they did. Both Cordeiro and Cone act like they didn't know what was in that (Cordeiro resigned saying he didn't know but basically the buck stopped with him) so either a coup was pulled off by another director or the law firm went rogue.

16. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    The USSF has now replaced the no name firm with Latham, who also put together the USSF conflict of interest policy. Latham is a good firm.

the ladies have hired Winston, anothe quality firm.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

18. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latham will eat Winston for lunch, but you are right that they are both nationally recognized firms (Latham is LA based, with offices everywhere, and Winston is Chicago based, with offices everywhere). Anyway, it’s all about whether they want to fight or settle now. To my legal view, USSF appears to have the better case but the Women have the better story, and PR = revenue, so it’s a pretty even fight.

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    My lawyer friend says USSF is desperate to avoid bad publicity, the USWNT are desperate to keep the contracts. IMO, all sides suck.

TOAzer and Three and Three repped this.
  20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DC United teams of 96/97/98 were loaded with talent relative to other MLS teams. The 2002 team was loaded with talent. Hard to say how good Arena is as coach, but he'll always be remembered for Couva.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That ship sailed on 10/10/17.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Cordeiro would disagree.

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cordeiro had to go after that. His position was untenable once the sponsors voiced their displeasure.

I do think, just to come back to the topic of the thread...……………...that Bruce Arena was found out to be right only weeks later. We had a business guy from Goldman-Sachs at the top, and not a guy who had a clue about soccer. Zero clue. He had a passion for the bottom line, not a passion for putting the soccer teams in a position to succeed.

I personally think the problems run way deeper than Cordeiro. The structure of the USSF is archaic, from a time before big-time professional soccer in this country. Its holding us back. When you read thru the resumes on the Board of Directors, you think.............really? And the former USMNT/MLSer is Carlos Bocanegra, who as far as I know has a full-time day job with Atlanta United.

russ and Monarch Bay Beachbum repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is their any agreement among soccer experts what federation does the best job (not just pros)? If so how are they different than us and others?

Winoman and TOAzer repped this.
  25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what got Cordeiro fired had nothing to do with whether he is passionate about soccer. Absolutely nothing.

the key question now is what happens to the USSF. My guess is that MLS assumes even more influence as they are the only organized party at the table during tumultuous times.